Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 229987 times)

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
disclaimer - did not read any of this previous thread before posting.
-------------------------------

I really like Micheal Crichton books. "Timeline" is my favorite, but you can't go wrong with Jurassic Park.

p.s. I think I've read all of his books if anyone wants some more reccomendos

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2011, 09:04:50 PM »
Timeline was very good.  Used to be able to claim I had read all of his books but I  stopped cold turkey like 7 yrs ago.  What was the one of the abortion?  That was also really good and kind of overlooked, IMO.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2011, 10:26:45 PM »
Timeline was very good.  Used to be able to claim I had read all of his books but I  stopped cold turkey like 7 yrs ago.  What was the one of the abortion?  That was also really good and kind of overlooked, IMO.

huh?

Also, after he died they released the one about the pirates (the name escapes me) but it wasn't very good. probably why he never wanted it released, but they did it anyway  :flush:

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2011, 12:15:25 AM »
A Case Of Need was the book I couldn't think of.  And cold turkey was a joke cause the dude is dead.  We square?

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2011, 12:56:10 AM »
A Case Of Need was the book I couldn't think of.  And cold turkey was a joke cause the dude is dead.  We square?

ah, yeah, a case of need. It was weird, I need to read it again b/c I barely remember a thing about it.

The whole cold turkey thing went straight over my head  :flush:

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »
Ive been reading The Good Soldier its really not that great but I can't put it down

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2011, 12:04:24 PM »
The George R.R. Martin series Game of Thrones is the best fiction I have ever read. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »
I just finished The Master and Margarita.  I liked it a whole lot.   The Russian names can get a bit tricky to follow, but its worth it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »
Still reading ZAMM. It gets pretty tough to read toward the end. Not a "read until you fall asleep" type book.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »
The George R.R. Martin series Game of Thrones is the best fiction I have ever read.

Finished the entire series (Song of Fire and Ice), and had never read "fantasy" before.  So, I next picked up Brent Weeks "Night Angel" series.  Very good.  Lots of action and gore. 

I have read all the Ann Rice, and Sookie Stackhouse novels (vampires) and rough ridin' love them.  Not a huge millitary fan, but loved Black Hawk Down and Dear Mom.

Can't decide what to read next.  I am seriously considering the Hunger Games, but am really scared that it will be too childish. 

I have read some good things about the "Dragon Prince Series" from Aaron Pogue.  May give that a shot.

I am looking for recommendos here, guys.  I don't want any god damned ivory towered suggestions...I want to enjoy myself and have fun when I read. 

What do you got?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
Reading David Copperfield now.  Just delightful, so far.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
I've read a lot of classic literature. Most of them are meh, but I feel all pompous about the fact that I've read them and like to pretend like I thought they were great.  :dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »
I've read a lot of classic literature. Most of them are meh, but I feel all pompous about the fact that I've read them and like to pretend like I thought they were great.  :dunno:
I don't know.  It's a different way of writing with some of those guys.  I probably get the same sort of (silly) satisfaction, but I genuinely think it's important to appreciate the most beautiful writing the English language has ever seen. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 05, 2012, 10:03:50 PM »
I've tried many times to get into literature.  Can't follow through, last book I read cover to cover was pillars of the earth and that was at least for years ago

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 05, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
I've tried many times to get into literature.  Can't follow through, last book I read cover to cover was pillars of the earth and that was at least for years ago
Not every piece of literature is absurdly long like POTE. 

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »
I've got lots of non fiction but I skip around and read parts I'm interested in and sometimes I end up reading reverse order.   Is that weird?  So I have adult add or something?

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »
I don't know.  It's a different way of writing with some of those guys.  I probably get the same sort of (silly) satisfaction, but I genuinely think it's important to appreciate the most beautiful writing the English language has ever seen.

I agree that it's important to appreciate classic works of literature. It's just another form of history.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 05, 2012, 10:32:20 PM »

Finished the entire series (Song of Fire and Ice), and had never read "fantasy" before.  So, I next picked up Brent Weeks "Night Angel" series.  Very good.  Lots of action and gore. 

I have read all the Ann Rice, and Sookie Stackhouse novels (vampires) and rough ridin' love them.  Not a huge millitary fan, but loved Black Hawk Down and Dear Mom.

Can't decide what to read next.  I am seriously considering the Hunger Games, but am really scared that it will be too childish. 

I have read some good things about the "Dragon Prince Series" from Aaron Pogue.  May give that a shot.

I am looking for recommendos here, guys.  I don't want any god damned ivory towered suggestions...I want to enjoy myself and have fun when I read. 

What do you got?
I'm on like pg 430 on Feast of Crows. Almost out of the boring dark?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 05, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »

I agree that it's important to appreciate classic works of literature. It's just another form of history.
Yes I agree.  Also, it's positively influenced the way I've written academic papers.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2012, 11:04:26 PM »
The Hunger Games books walk the tightrope between good and childish, Pete. But they're so quick, you don't really waste any time by giving them a shot I guess.

Offline bigDcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #220 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41:45 PM »
The Hunger Games books walk the tightrope between good and childish, Pete. But they're so quick, you don't really waste any time by giving them a shot I guess.

I thought they were going to be very childish, but I found them entertaining.

I'm pretty excited about seeing the movie later this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:44:16 PM by bigDcat »

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2012, 12:15:06 AM »

Yes I agree.  Also, it's positively influenced the way I've written academic papers.

Oh, and it means you get to bitch about how awful the movie is  :D

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 06, 2012, 12:37:10 AM »
Hunger Games are childish books?  Never knew that.  Guess I need to pay better attention to the people that have been recommending them.  The story line sounds pretty dark so I never imagined they would be childish books.  Still probably gonna read them though, especially if they're the type of books I can just breeze through.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2012, 12:49:23 AM »
Human Zoo and Naked Ape, Desmond Morris.  Older books, maybe early '70s?  Good stuff though.

Also, Nickled and Dimed On (Not) Getting By in America, Barbara Ehrenreich.  This chick (a newspaper writer)  took like 2 yrs off and joined the working poor in Minneapolis and somewhere else, Wilmington maybe.  Anyhoo, just took entry level jobs (serving, house cleaning, etc) and tried to get by on minimum wage.  Shits interesting as hell.  Really good book.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2012, 12:51:17 AM »
Hunger Games are childish books?  Never knew that.  Guess I need to pay better attention to the people that have been recommending them.  The story line sounds pretty dark so I never imagined they would be childish books.  Still probably gonna read them though, especially if they're the type of books I can just breeze through.

i enjoyed them - i wouldn't really consider them childish.  i avoided reading them for a while and then it was all i had to read on a long flight - you can get through them in a week if you get into the story (which i don't see how you couldn't unless you really like picking things apart).  go for it