Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 235064 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #1525 on: February 24, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »
Short stories are great. I'm currently reading Foner's abridged history of reconstruction. Shout out to Charles Sumner
my BOY!  only thing I know of Sumner is that he got his ass beat on the floor of congress for being a bit of a smartass while arguing for abolition, but that's my favorite story I know.
Wow, what a great faux pas I made. I meant to say Charles Sanders! The great KSU history professor who used Foner as a class text.
sanders is my boy too!  it's an easy mistake you made because Sanders tells the Charles Sumner story amazingly.

i emailed him (sanders -- not sumner) a couple years ago telling him how that's still my favorite story and how I tell it every chance i get and how he's the greatest professor i ever had.  he never responded.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: February 24, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
Yeah his class was just like story time. So great.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: February 25, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
I've been reading another Octavia Butler series, Patternmaster. It is pretty good.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: February 25, 2017, 07:52:05 PM »
Read:

Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan.  It was fun.  It's described as cyber punk, but it's part detective novel as well.  people jumping in and out of other people's bodies.  Cool stuff.

Light Bringer series by Brent Weeks.  Novel way of thinking about super powers type stuff.  Everything is related to spectrums of light, and the color in each spectrum.  Fun.  Series isn't done yet.

Lies of Loche Lamora, and follow-up books in the series by Scott Lynch.  About a medieval/renaissance gang of con artists and thieves.  Big heist type stuff.  Also fun to tread. Has some Pirate type stuff too, which was interesting.

Night Watch, by Sergei Lukyanenko.  A Russian vampire and wizard battle type story, taking place in 90's Moscow.  Just so-so.

Finished Joe Abercrombie's "Shattered Sea" series.  Very Meh.  This was his YA series.  All his other stuff is fantastic, this not so much.

Brent Week's latest in the Demon Cycle Series.  Love this series.  So much fun.  Mr. Bread got me into them.  Series isn't done yet.

The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson, in his new Starlight Archive series.  Great book, really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, the series isn't done, so it will be annoying to wait for new books.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 25, 2017, 08:13:56 PM »
Devil in the white city
Good. Leo and Scorsese are making a movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: February 25, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »
Devil in the white city
Good. Leo and Scorsese are making a movie

I trust Cire's recommendos.  Will read after this next Brandon Sanderson Stormlight book. 

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 25, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
The world's fair parts are dry but the Holmes parts are great

Movie should be great

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 28, 2017, 03:27:52 PM »
They are going to eff up the book with that movie.  There was a lot more worlds fair than holmes, iirc.  The movie will be all holmes, no doubt.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 05, 2017, 01:35:49 AM »
If you are a science enthusiast who enjoys consuming epic tomes, Seveneves by Neal Stephenson is incredible. 5 tanukis.

Men's rights trigger warning tho.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 05, 2017, 04:16:18 AM »
I thought it was too ridiculous

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 05, 2017, 07:10:37 AM »
I thought it was too ridiculous

Like, not even enjoyable because of it?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #1536 on: March 05, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »
No, it was decent but towards the end I was like, wtf just happened? This got so stupid all of a sudden. It goes from hard science fiction to lord of the rings from one chapter to the next. Still good imo, but if that kind of thing bothers you just be aware.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 05, 2017, 02:41:43 PM »
No, it was decent but towards the end I was like, wtf just happened? This got so stupid all of a sudden. It goes from hard science fiction to lord of the rings from one chapter to the next. Still good imo, but if that kind of thing bothers you just be aware.

Relative to Hyperion Cantos, how did you like it?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 10, 2017, 09:35:52 PM »
If anyone is interested in reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett  (which is very good), the Kindle version is on sale for $1.99. https://www.amazon.com/Pillars-Earth-Ken-Follett-ebook/dp/B003TO5GXU?_bbid=3193007&tag=bookbubemailc-20

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 13, 2017, 05:18:17 AM »
I kinda get what you're saying but I don't really agree. I needed that last third and wanted it to go on 4 evvies. The last third is a common complaint on the reviews it seems.

I thought your complaint was going to be the exhaustively thorough and detailed explanations of technical systems that could be quite a grind for some people I'm sure.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:28:41 AM by puniraptor »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: March 19, 2017, 09:26:47 PM »
Finished Brandon Sanderson's second book in the Storight series, Words of Radiance.  It was really good.  It's going to be a good series, but I get frustrated waiting for "the next book."

I am currently waiting on books by Patrick Rothfuss (Kingkiller chronicles), Peter Brett (Demon Cycle), Brent Weeks (Lightbringer series), Joe Abercrombie (First Law series) and George RR Martin. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 19, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »
I'm reading this:

https://www.amazon.com/Evicted-Poverty-Profit-American-City/dp/0553447432

Heartbreaking non-fiction. So good though.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 21, 2017, 01:31:14 PM »
I am a quarter into 1Q84 and it is blowing my mind. Where on Earth is all of this going!?!?

i don't recall the last act very well, but it is a very interesting and wierd book.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 21, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
Read The Fireman by Joe Hill last week.    Pretty fun read.   If you like his fathers work, he seems better at the endings...not that that takes much.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 21, 2017, 02:44:35 PM »
Kane & Abel by Jeffrey Archer - dogshit writing (this happened and then this happened and then this happened FOR SIXTY YEARS), the hero is a noble 1%'r, the antagonist's motive is totally stupid, and there is a completely unnecessary gang rape/murder of a 15 year old girl thrown in about 1/4 through. but i read the whole dang thing so obviously i am here to tell gE about it

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: March 21, 2017, 09:11:37 PM »
I've seen Bill Gates and others on social media post about "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi. I've been thinking about reading it.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 21, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
 :Wha:
Kane & Abel by Jeffrey Archer - dogshit writing (this happened and then this happened and then this happened FOR SIXTY YEARS), the hero is a noble 1%'r, the antagonist's motive is totally stupid, and there is a completely unnecessary gang rape/murder of a 15 year old girl thrown in about 1/4 through. but i read the whole dang thing so obviously i am here to tell gE about it
I actually own this book. I saw the movie many many years ago. I ran across the book and bought it. There are parts that bothered me but there's enough that kept me into it.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 23, 2017, 12:26:58 AM »
I am a quarter into 1Q84 and it is blowing my mind. Where on Earth is all of this going!?!?

i don't recall the last act very well, but it is a very interesting and wierd book.
1984 is great. Blew my mind and made me sad and also in love.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 23, 2017, 12:28:07 AM »
Is there a better written book than Lolita?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 23, 2017, 12:59:01 AM »
did you guys know that 1Q84 is a Japanese play on words because Q (kyuu [kew]) is the pronunciation of the number 9?