Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 229994 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #800 on: June 03, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »
Who has read Infinite Jest? Is it worth the 1000+ pages?

based on the first 150 +\- pages I've read twice now, NO.  I just can't do it.   This in the Year of the Depend Undergarments.   :goodbyecruelworld:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 03, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
I've posted several times that it's my favorite book. IIRC it takes about 250 pages before things start to make sense and take hold of most people.

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Combo-Fan
  • My awesomeness gives Bill Self diarrhea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 03, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
Last night I finished Ready Player One.  Really interesting book to read.  It creates an extremely vivid online world and is quite dense with 80s references.  I'm probably a little too old for the targeted crowd, but had a blast reading it.  Worth a read if anyone was on the fence about it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:38:35 PM by KSUblumpkin »
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 03, 2014, 03:17:29 PM »
Last night I finished Ready Player One.  Really interesting book to read.  It creates an extremely vivid online world with and is dense with 80s references.  I'm probably a little too old for the targeted crowd, but had a blast reading it.  Worth a read if anyone was on the fence about it.

Agreed. Really fun book.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 03, 2014, 03:21:46 PM »
Last night I finished Ready Player One.  Really interesting book to read.  It creates an extremely vivid online world with and is dense with 80s references.  I'm probably a little too old for the targeted crowd, but had a blast reading it.  Worth a read if anyone was on the fence about it.

Daemon and the sequel are also pretty decent and somewhat similar.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 03, 2014, 05:25:27 PM »
I've posted several times that it's my favorite book. IIRC it takes about 250 pages before things start to make sense and take hold of most people.
how much does its length have to do with how much you like it?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 03, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »

Not sure exactly what this question means, but the length enables Wallace to create a lot of fantastic character and setting development.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 03, 2014, 06:28:22 PM »

Not sure exactly what this question means, but the length enables Wallace to create a lot of fantastic character and setting development.
primarily, i was asking how the length helped character and setting development. but i was also asking if knowing that you completed a difficult read added much to your opinion of the book. both questions are serious and not intended to be rude. i ask the second one because i ask it to myself about a lot of literature.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 03, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »

Daemon and the sequel are also pretty decent and somewhat similar.

The_Wippuh recommends all three of these as well. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 03, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »

primarily, i was asking how the length helped character and setting development. but i was also asking if knowing that you completed a difficult read added much to your opinion of the book. both questions are serious and not intended to be rude. i ask the second one because i ask it to myself about a lot of literature.

It just creates massive amounts of detail. Some of it probably isn't necessary, but I think some of the more difficult portions makes you appreciate the great passages more than I you would if they were on their own. And when you consider the main storyline, it's pretty amazing.

I was about halfway through when I realized it was my favorite book, so it wasn't like the "length" by itself really added to my enjoyment.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: June 03, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »

Bubbles NO!  :sdeek:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 03, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »

Bubbles NO!  :sdeek:

Of course in the context of a book, length and girth are directly proportional.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 03, 2014, 08:47:49 PM »

It just creates massive amounts of detail. Some of it probably isn't necessary, but I think some of the more difficult portions makes you appreciate the great passages more than I you would if they were on their own. And when you consider the main storyline, it's pretty amazing.

I was about halfway through when I realized it was my favorite book, so it wasn't like the "length" by itself really added to my enjoyment.
makes sense. i'd like to read it, but i don't have the attention span for a long intro. i frequently take long drives so i looked into an audiobook version....59 hours without any of the 386 footnotes which apparently are very important.  :horrorsurprise:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 04, 2014, 08:39:33 AM »

makes sense. i'd like to read it, but i don't have the attention span for a long intro. i frequently take long drives so i looked into an audiobook version....59 hours without any of the 386 footnotes which apparently are very important.  :horrorsurprise:

one footnote is a 17pg fimography of a dead character (so I read).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 04, 2014, 10:34:07 AM »

one footnote is a 17pg fimography of a dead character (so I read).

It has lots of clues and it's really pretty funny.

Bottom line though, if you don't want to read it, don't read it. Personally, I could have easily started reading again immediately after I finished.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 04, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
About halfway through  Klosterman's "I Wear the Black Hat" on audiobook. Pretty interesting, and I like audiobooks read by the author.
:adios:

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 04, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »
Read two books recently I found very enjoyable. Don't know what you guys are into as I've never been in this thread before.

Adam Resnick's "Will Not Attend" is pretty great if you want an easy fun rea. Just a bunch of short stories about how much he hates people. Very funny.

"The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown is about the 1936 USA Olympic rowing team. Pretty great. Focuses a lot on the depression and Nazi's. Pretty entertaining, if you like that sorta stuff.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 04, 2014, 03:01:56 PM »

I made it through a couple hundred pages on my kindle before I realized that the footnotes are pretty important and that I need to pick up a physical copy  :facepalm:
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 04, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »

I made it through a couple hundred pages on my kindle before I realized that the footnotes are pretty important and that I need to pick up a physical copy  :facepalm:

can't you read the footnotes on a kindle?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 04, 2014, 03:25:41 PM »
Footnotes on kindles are a pain in the ass.  They link you back but sometimes slips up and marks the footnote as the "furthest read" point and syncs that.  Once it does that, trying to bounce between the page you are actually reading and future footnotes can be a pain.  I have read books where it does it without problem, but others have been horrible about it.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 04, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »

can't you read the footnotes on a kindle?

It's a laborious process, relatively. Also, the function is riddled with glitches like CNS said.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 04, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
Well I guess I'll just haul around the 9-pound book then.  :fistpump:

I'll probably give it a try. I mean I have a little time here over the next few weeks so maybe I can knock it out. I am currently reading Adam Carolla's Not Taco Bell Material and some of these stories are legit LOL funny.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 04, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »
I'm through the first two chapters of The Bully Pulpit and I am really enjoying it so far.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 04, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Wow. Here's a fairly insightful review on the book from Amazon, and after reading the whole review I STILL don't know if I wanna pick it up. BTW I am super anal and even if I don't like a book, once I've started it, I have to finish. It's awful. Hence my hesitation.

I feel like there's been so much written about this book, that it almost seems impossible to try to add anything new to this discussion. However, I will try to lay out reasons to buy/not buy this book as well as a few things people might want to know before jumping into this kind of commitment. INFINITE JEST isn't for everyone, and I don't mean that in a condescending or patronizing way: it will certainly appeal to some people's sensibilities much more than others.

###Here's What You Need to Know###
David Foster Wallace's INFINITE JEST is a postmodern novel with a premodern message. Wallace, who railed against irony, wanted to be sincere in his writing. So while this book does contain many postmodern conventions, its ideas about humanity aren't postmodern at all. I think many people were disappointed that the book is "about addiction, and that's all you need to know," but there is much more to this book, and there's much more that Wallace has to say. Some of these messages are delivered with a heavy hand, and that's fine: Wallace wanted to be sincere, and he wouldn't want to dull his insights by distancing himself from them via irony or whatever else.

This book is indeed incredibly long. INFINITE JEST is notoriously known for being a long book - it's just shy of 1100 pages. Stephen King's THE STAND (uncut edition) and George R.R. Martin's STORM OF SWORDS are longer this, but I was able to clear those books much quicker than David Foster Wallace's second novel. I'm a very slow reader, and I was able to read INFINITE JEST in about two months, without taking into account the time I spent reading two shorter novels by different authors.

This book is indeed incredibly verbose. As a way to rage against the rising popularity of minimalist writing in the 1980's, Wallace found himself moving towards a brand of writing that captured everything: every thought, every action, every detail. His maximalist writing can be hard to get through at time: there's an extended passage detailing a tennis academy's design that seems to go on forever. The discussion of an invented game that involves intermediate calculus to keep score reaches across dozens of pages. Wallace sought to capture everything.

Everything you heard about the endnotes is true. The narration of the book is frequented interrupted with endnotes (different from footnotes), some of which span a dozen pages and contain their own endnotes. These asides are not optional: plot details are frequently hinted at or exposed in these interludes.

READ THIS ON KINDLE IF YOU CAN. I want to stress this point: reading INFINITE JEST is much easier on an eReader for a few reasons. With Kindle, the hassle of flipping back to the endnotes is a burden made much lighter. Each note is hyperlinked to its corresponding section to the back. It's also really easy to highlight, bookmark, make notes of certain areas to revisit if you need. Some important plot elements are given only once in passing, so marking these areas is helpful, and Kindle makes the task really simple. The weight of this mammoth book is also erased with the electronic copy. There are two complaints about the Kindle version however: 1) it's not a real book, and I prefer handling most books (I think we all kind of do, right?) and 2) if you close the eReader while you are in the endnotes, your Kindle will recognize that page as being the further point you've read to. Remedying this situation isn't hard; you'll just need to log onto Amazon and clear your furthest-page-read, but it is a bit annoying.

###Here's Why You Should Buy This Book###
Some of the passages in this novel rank among my favorite all-time sections of writing. While Wallace can be verbose, it can lead to some of the most inventive and poetic turns of phrase. I found myself going back and re-reading many moments as soon as I finished them and highlighting them for later use (I rarely ever do this).

This book is funny, sad, smart, and silly. INFINITE JEST really runs the gamut in terms of emotions that it evokes. I've seen many readers talk about how funny it is, and others that focus on how tragic it is. There are moments in this book that I still reflect on and laugh out loud. There are moments that, when I think about them, make me want to cry. There are even moments in this that give me the goosebumps imagining how horrifying they would be.

INFINITE JEST is filled with tons of ideas and tons of characters. Readers will spend a lot of time with the characters here, and almost all of them are interesting. Some of them are fun, and some of them are despicable. Mario Incandenza ranks among one of my favorite characters in literature. Additionally, this book is full of ideas about addiction, entertainment, society, family, imperialism, Quebec separatism, and tennis. There's a lot of great insight spread out across the novel's length. There's not a ton of plotting to INFINITE JEST, but it's alright: these characters are often compelling enough that readers will want to spend their time with them.

It seems that half of the reason to read INFINITE JEST lies merely in the act of doing it. Most people bail on the book midway through, so finishing the novel is seen as a sort of accomplishment in some circles.

###Here's Why You Should Pass on This Book###
This book is too long. It surprised me to learn that INFINITE JEST had an editor and that sections of the book were excised. There are some stretches where not much seems to happen and no new insights are made. Most books leave me wanting the ending to go on and on forever, but there were times where I was just ready for this novel to be over (strangely enough, not at the ending though).

INFINITE JEST is wildly inconsistent. It probably comes with the territory of maximalist writing, but while some passages of writing are fantastic, some passages are equally dull. While I loved the book, I think it would be hard to argue that this novel is a solid, consistent work. Additionally, the novel frequently jumps (apropos of nothing) to different characters and different times and different settings. The narrative might be dealing with Hal Incandenza at a Boston tennis academy in the future only to suddenly (with, granted a line break) focus on a glimpse of his father in the 1970's. Even more additionally, the writing style changes frequently.

The use of styles can be jarring. I ended up liking this point, but I feel that I may be in the minority on this. Early in the book, an essay written by one of the characters (in high school) is recounted in full. Later, we are treated to stream-of-consciousness via a character we are not familiar with. Later, there are dozens of pages with nothing but dialog (literally, not figuratively), and some passages that are completely without dialog.

There's not much plot here. I haven't talked much about the plot in the above content because there's just not that much to talk about. The premise is: a filmmaker created a video that is so enjoyable, people can't turn away from it or think about anything else. Most of this book focuses in on its settings and characters to make its points.

###Overall... ###
Overall, I gotta say, even for all of its flaws, I really enjoyed INFINITE JEST. Some of the reviewers that rated this book poorly have good points to make, and I would recommend reading these reviews before making the plunge on buying this book. At the end of the day though, if you enjoy postmodern fiction, INFINITE JEST is definitely an experience worth trying.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 04, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
That's a great summary IMO.

Here's more helpful info: http://infinitesummer.org/archives/215