Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 229984 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #675 on: January 09, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »
Any more Lewis and Clark or Custer or development of the west historical type books?  Books I've read in this genre:

Blood and Thunder (Kit Carson/Santa Fe Trail/Navajos)
Empire of the Summer Moon (about Comanches)
Undaunted Courage (Lewis and Clark expedition)
Crazy Horse and Custer
Wooden Leg (biography of a Cherokee who was at Custer's Last Stand)

I'd really love to read about stuff more specific to Kansas frontier history.  I like driving around out west and driving over a river and remembering that so-and-so indians camped along this river right before this one big thing.

Not exactly like what you're looking for, but it's in that vein:

http://www.amazon.com/1491-Revelations-Americas-Before-Columbus/dp/1400032059/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389284996&sr=8-1&keywords=1491

I'm about halfway through and really enjoy it.

Only read a couple of chapters so far but very good!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 09, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
Any more Lewis and Clark or Custer or development of the west historical type books?  Books I've read in this genre:

Crazy Horse and Custer

I'd really love to read about stuff more specific to Kansas frontier history.  I like driving around out west and driving over a river and remembering that so-and-so indians camped along this river right before this one big thing.

Tangentially related:
River of Doubt is about Teddy Roosevelt exploring the Amazon and I thought it was excellent.

Also:
Villa and Zapata : A History of the Mexican Revolution

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 14, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »
PETE!!!!!!!  :shakesfist: :shakesfist: :shakesfist:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 14, 2014, 04:11:55 PM »
Has anyone read any Thomas McGuane? 

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #679 on: January 14, 2014, 07:40:28 PM »
PETE!!!!!!!  :shakesfist: :shakesfist: :shakesfist:

I told you it was mumped up!  It's a unique book.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 14, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »

Crazy Horse and Custer

Tangentially related:
River of Doubt is about Teddy Roosevelt exploring the Amazon and I thought it was excellent.

Also:
Villa and Zapata : A History of the Mexican Revolution
I thought the same about River of Doubt. TR can inspire you to do manly things.

Nothing Like It in the World is the Stephen Ambrose book about the transcontinental railroad. He spends a lot of time complaining about corrupt congressmen and financiers so it's less exciting than his other books.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 14, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
Any good evolutionary psychology books?

Have read "Social Conquest of Earth" and "Thinking Fast and Slow" recently and really enjoy the general subjects addressed.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 15, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »

For the Fantasy Dorks

I'm really big into Martin's Game of Thrones and Jordan's Wheel of Time stuff.  As a teen, I read through the majority of the pulp out there (Forgotten Realms, Salvatore, Eddings, Fiest, etc...).

Rothfuss' stuff is probably the most well written and creative stuff out right now.  He's taking FOREVER, but it's simply brilliant.  He blows away Sanderson's Mistborn novels.  Sanderson is creative, but he's a pretty poor writer.  His new series has a lot of promise, but it's almost like he finished the complete butchering of Jordan's world and decided that he wanted to write something more grand.  You could cut 700 pages out of The Way of Kings and it would be pretty intriguing.  Instead, it's bloated with way too much about bridge runs and pseudo angst.

Rothfuss is wildly creative and has a great style when it comes to prose.  He is exactly like Martin in that, except he's more into the imaginary world stuff.  I cannot recommend it enough.  Read Mistborn when you need filler, read The Name of the Wind when you want to be blown away.

If you haven't read Abercrombie, then you can go ahead and just shut your rough ridin' face.  GRRM and Abercrombie are the best.  Maybe this Rothfuss guy is good too.  Pete seems to like him.  I'm not touching it until he finishes.

I caved and started the second Rothfuss book.  It's really good.  I'll be done by the end of the week, then I start Abercrombie.  I'M TRUSTING YOU BREAD!

You are in for a treat then.  I started rereading them and they're still great.

The first one (the Blade itself) was pretty good, and I just started the second one and it seems like it might be better.  I saw where someone else posted that the first one is a lot of character background.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 15, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »
So I finished the two Patrick Rothfuss "King Killer Chronicles" books.  The third in the trilogy isn't out yet, and seems to be a ways off.

It's frustrating to not be able to finish the series, but they are really great books.  This is a WAY too simplistic description, but think of them as Harry Potter, but if he was a rough ridin' bad ass and the books were for adults.

The first one starts a bit slow, but picks up steam fast.  There is a bit of a fanciful turn of events about 3/4 the way through the second book, but if it finishes strong.

I highly recommend them.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:32 PM »
For the Fantasy Dorks

I'm really big into Martin's Game of Thrones and Jordan's Wheel of Time stuff.  As a teen, I read through the majority of the pulp out there (Forgotten Realms, Salvatore, Eddings, Fiest, etc...).

Rothfuss' stuff is probably the most well written and creative stuff out right now. He's taking FOREVER, but it's simply brilliant.  He blows away Sanderson's Mistborn novels.  Sanderson is creative, but he's a pretty poor writer.  His new series has a lot of promise, but it's almost like he finished the complete butchering of Jordan's world and decided that he wanted to write something more grand.  You could cut 700 pages out of The Way of Kings and it would be pretty intriguing.  Instead, it's bloated with way too much about bridge runs and pseudo angst.

Rothfuss is wildly creative and has a great style when it comes to prose.  He is exactly like Martin in that, except he's more into the imaginary world stuff.  I cannot recommend it enough.  Read Mistborn when you need filler, read The Name of the Wind when you want to be blown away.

I couldn't agree more. Kvothe (the main character) is a rough ridin' joy to follow.   Gut wrenching that last book isn't out yet. 

This, and SOFAI, are so good that I'll probably take a couple days off of work and just read when the next books come out.  Such a pleasure.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 20, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
I finally finished Infinite Jest. I want to start reading it again immediately. Crazy.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 21, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »
Any good evolutionary psychology books?

Have read "Social Conquest of Earth" and "Thinking Fast and Slow" recently and really enjoy the general subjects addressed.
"The Intelligence Paradox" is very fun and will make you feel smart. As we've discussed, the author is a racist and there are a couple of paragraphs that will make you shake your head but the shitty stuff is all opinion/conclusion, the science is very fun. Don't buy a new copy and you won't be funding him.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 22, 2014, 07:15:49 AM »
I'm done with nazis.  Probably going to read a couple of instructional books on bridge.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:49 AM »
I'm done with nazis.  Probably going to read a couple of instructional books on bridge.

Nazis were so 2000's
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 22, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »

are you 70 years old?
:adios:

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: January 22, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »

For the Fantasy Dorks

Rothfuss' stuff is probably the most well written and creative stuff out right now.  He's taking FOREVER, but it's simply brilliant.  He blows away Sanderson's Mistborn novels.  Sanderson is creative, but he's a pretty poor writer.  His new series has a lot of promise, but it's almost like he finished the complete butchering of Jordan's world and decided that he wanted to write something more grand.  You could cut 700 pages out of The Way of Kings and it would be pretty intriguing.  Instead, it's bloated with way too much about bridge runs and pseudo angst.

If you haven't read Abercrombie, then you can go ahead and just shut your rough ridin' face.  GRRM and Abercrombie are the best.  Maybe this Rothfuss guy is good too.  Pete seems to like him.  I'm not touching it until he finishes.

I caved and started the second Rothfuss book.  It's really good.  I'll be done by the end of the week, then I start Abercrombie.  I'M TRUSTING YOU BREAD!

You are in for a treat then.  I started rereading them and they're still great.

The first one (the Blade itself) was pretty good, and I just started the second one and it seems like it might be better.  I saw where someone else posted that the first one is a lot of character background.

50% of the way through the second Abercrombie book, I love the three pronged story covering the converging wars.  The battle descriptions are awesome, and the internal monologue of Glotka is a lot of fun to read....I find myself most attached to Glotka, Logan the Northman, and the band of Threetrees, Dogman, Dow, and Grim.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 22, 2014, 10:44:15 AM »

are you 70 years old?

:lol:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 22, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
50% of the way through the second Abercrombie book, I love the three pronged story covering the converging wars.  The battle descriptions are awesome, and the internal monologue of Glotka is a lot of fun to read....I find myself most attached to Glotka, Logan the Northman, and the band of Threetrees, Dogman, Dow, and Grim.

Yeah, I like Glokta and Logen once you figure out why/how he's as great a warrior as he is.  I liked the little mythology he created as well and how he only gives you just a taste and leaves you wanting so much more.  Makes for some motivated reading, at least it did for me.   I love back story though.   Complete sucker for it.  I also like the backdrop of all the political intrigue, betrayals and power grabbing.  Fun climate for a story.  Keeps you guessing right along with the main characters. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 22, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »
Also once you finish I will tell you my biggest gripe with the books and it's Logen related.  Got right in my craw after the fact. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 22, 2014, 12:30:52 PM »

are you 70 years old?

would he need the instructional books if he were 70 years old?

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 28, 2014, 03:51:22 PM »

Yeah, I like Glokta and Logen once you figure out why/how he's as great a warrior as he is.  I liked the little mythology he created as well and how he only gives you just a taste and leaves you wanting so much more.  Makes for some motivated reading, at least it did for me.   I love back story though.   Complete sucker for it.  I also like the backdrop of all the political intrigue, betrayals and power grabbing.  Fun climate for a story.  Keeps you guessing right along with the main characters.

Started Abercrombie's third book in the series this weekend....really, really enjoying this series.  I don't know what I'll do when this one is done, have nothing in my on-deck circle.   :frown:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 28, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »

Started Abercrombie's third book in the series this weekend....really, really enjoying this series.  I don't know what I'll do when this one is done, have nothing in my on-deck circle.   :frown:

He has three more.  Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country (in order).  They follow the original three.  Some lesser characters with expanded roles (e.g., Shivers, Cosca, Gorst, Calder) and of course new characters and settings.  The Heroes might have been my favorite out of all his books.  Best Served Cold is solid.  Red Country is his worst book imo. 

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 28, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »
Yes!  Will read next.  Bread start picking out what I read after that, you are now my personal book pre-reader.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 06, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »
i am about halfway through the girl who kicked the hornet's nest, and it is by far my favorite of the trilogy so far

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 06, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »
I'm reading Nate Silver's "Signal and the Noise". Love crap like that.