Author Topic: This team...  (Read 19369 times)

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: This team...
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2015, 08:25:15 AM »
America wants to see a 1 seed fall to a 16.

America needs a KSU / Kentucky matchup.
"We want Kentucky"
 :ksu:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2015, 09:04:36 AM »
I know this is incredibly losery to say, but at this point I'd be just fine with beating Texas and locking down an NIT slot. I also think we have about a 33% chance of beating Texas on the road on senior day.

But if we beat Texas and win two in the B12T to make the finals, I think we slip into the NCAAs. That's 9-9 in the deepest conference, an RPI somewhere in the 50s, 18 wins, and finishing on a hot streak.

The Big 12 is a seven-bid league this year, and taking Texas over K-State (if we beat them) would be a rough ridin' joke.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2015, 10:51:18 AM »
I know this is incredibly losery to say, but at this point I'd be just fine with beating Texas and locking down an NIT slot. I also think we have about a 33% chance of beating Texas on the road on senior day.

But if we beat Texas and win two in the B12T to make the finals, I think we slip into the NCAAs. That's 9-9 in the deepest conference, an RPI somewhere in the 50s, 18 wins, and finishing on a hot streak.

The Big 12 is a seven-bid league this year, and taking Texas over K-State (if we beat them) would be a rough ridin' joke.

Texas also beat us.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »
i feel less confident about winning @texas than i did vs ku OR isu.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »

Texas also beat us.

Right, but assuming we beat them this coming weekend, they'll finish 6-12 or 7-11 in conference.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »

the NIT is creaming in their jeans thinking about a blue blood like K-State being in their tourney, the Cats are a lock already. the only thing left is to try and slip in the back door of the NCAA's.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »
Kansas & Kansas State are the only 2 teams in college basketball with 5 wins against teams in the top 50.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »
KSU has to be the only team in the history of the world with 5 RPI <25 wins and also 5 RPI >100 losses

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
also KSU has played 17 games vs RPI 1-50 teams, and 1 game vs RPI 51-100 teams.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
i don't pay much attention to bubble watch, but if i'm understanding this correctly, old dominion is considered to have a better resume than k-state?

k-state has had one truly terrible loss this year...texas southern. what are the others?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2015, 12:36:08 PM »
i know they play in a dogshit conference and this in no way is an excuse for that collapse, but Texas Southern has won 13 of 15 and is projected to win out. they also currently have an RPI about 40 spots better than Tech.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2015, 12:41:23 PM »
i don't pay much attention to bubble watch, but if i'm understanding this correctly, old dominion is considered to have a better resume than k-state?

k-state has had one truly terrible loss this year...texas southern. what are the others?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/sort/RPI/teamId/2306

RPI   DATE        TEAM                     Score
107   Nov. 21   @ Long Beach St    60-69
104   Dec. 6   @ Tennessee       64-65
141   Dec. 28   Texas Southern      56-58
122   Feb. 18   @ TCU               55-69
171   Feb. 4   @ Texas Tech        47-64

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2015, 12:44:34 PM »
do they consider anything over 100 RPI a bad loss? would it be any different if Tennessee and LBSU sneak inside the top 100?

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2015, 12:49:13 PM »

k-state was a 3-pt favorite at long beach; a 3-pt underdog at tennessee; a 3-pt underdog at TCU; and a 3.5-pt favorite at texas tech. in all four of those games, they had a rough win expectancy of between 40 percent (tenn) and 60 percent (texas tech).

the long beach game was foolish scheduling (en route to playing maui tourney), the texas tech game's final score is super misleading (it was a coin flip entering the final 5 mins per kenpom), k-state covered the spread at tenn (it was super lucky, but still), and they were listed as underdogs at TCU (the margin of defeat was bad, the loss was not).

again, none of these losses are 'terrible.'

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »

what in the world order is that?

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2015, 12:56:46 PM »

k-state was a 3-pt favorite at long beach; a 3-pt underdog at tennessee; a 3-pt underdog at TCU; and a 3.5-pt favorite at texas tech. in all four of those games, they had a rough win expectancy of between 40 percent (tenn) and 60 percent (texas tech).

the long beach game was foolish scheduling (en route to playing maui tourney), the texas tech game's final score is super misleading (it was a coin flip entering the final 5 mins per kenpom), k-state covered the spread at tenn (it was super lucky, but still), and they were listed as underdogs at TCU (the margin of defeat was bad, the loss was not).

Having spreads around 3 points for all these teams is terrible, and they are all pretty embarrassing losses for an NCAA tournament team. 

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2015, 12:57:36 PM »
i know they play in a dogshit conference and this in no way is an excuse for that collapse, but Texas Southern has won 13 of 15 and is projected to win out. they also currently have an RPI about 40 spots better than Tech.

texas southern is a classic example of ratings being misleading (they are 212th in kenpom). they had some horrid outcomes in non con, yet they beat vegas expectations in four of six (including outright wins at k-state and at michigan st, perhaps two of the five biggest "upsets" of the year). they would have performed much better against the elite schedule they faced (hardest non-con SOS) if they had anything close to realistic chance at rest. instead, they played 15 of their first 16 on the road (west coast three times; east coast twice; the north twice; the south multiple times) and went 50 days between home games.

only three times in non-con did they ever get four or more days of rest. in two of those three, they pulled off wins as 20-plus point underdogs.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »

The spread has as much to do with how good K-State is as it does how good the competition is. That is a terrible metric to use in determining how bad a loss is. You know that, though.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »
the coaches think this is the 43rd best team in the country right now, kind of.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2015, 01:04:30 PM »
do they consider anything over 100 RPI a bad loss? would it be any different if Tennessee and LBSU sneak inside the top 100?
It would help. LBSU doesn't have a chance tho, week opponents. Tennessee needs to win and I think that is going to be hard for them. I wouldn't sleep on TCU. They get to play at OSU and I think that is a winnable game for them. They also host ISU and that is a big opportunity for a RPI booster. 

Texas Souther & Long Beach St winning their conference tournaments helps. (Tournament team talking point)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2015, 01:06:20 PM »
Having spreads around 3 points for all these teams is terrible, and they are all pretty embarrassing losses for an NCAA tournament team.

the supposed 'elite' teams in the Big 12 were never more than 10-point favorites at TT this year. Okla, Baylor, Okla St, WVU, Texas, Iowa St were all mostly within a range of 6 to 9 point favorites on the road.

long beach was a legitimate top 100 team all season until recently (rumored locker room strife has led to their downfall). when you put them on their home court, it's the equivalent of beating a top-50 opponent. long beach played xavier, ucla, texas, san diego state, st john's in non con - all are tourney teams.

the spreads would have been the following in games played at lbsu:

xavier -4.5
ucla -3.5
sdsu -4.5
texas -8.5
st john's -3
byu -7.5

losing to a 100-level team at home is bad. losing to them on the road isn't really the disgrace that some are making it out to be. long beach took BYU to the wire on the road; they beat Xavier on neutral; they lost at San Diego St by 1. k-state was in an unreal bad spot with that game being played prior to the maui tourney, but even absent of that, it was far from a sure or easy win.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
This is about as much as I could ask for after K-State basically threw away any chance at the NCAA by losing to TTU.  If we beat Texas and win at least one Big 12 tourney game, at least now I can watch the selection show and gripe without seeming like a complete idiot when K-State isn't selected.

Seriously, what a hilariously weird team when some people think you are not even sniffing an NCAA berth and others think you may deserve a spot in the Top 25.

Unfortunately, with this team I honestly think we'd go further in the NCAA than the NIT.

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2015, 01:31:37 PM »

the supposed 'elite' teams in the Big 12 were never more than 10-point favorites at TT this year. Okla, Baylor, Okla St, WVU, Texas, Iowa St were all mostly within a range of 6 to 9 point favorites on the road.

long beach was a legitimate top 100 team all season until recently (rumored locker room strife has led to their downfall). when you put them on their home court, it's the equivalent of beating a top-50 opponent. long beach played xavier, ucla, texas, san diego state, st john's in non con - all are tourney teams.

xavier -4.5
ucla -3.5
sdsu -4.5
texas -8.5
st john's -3
byu -7.5

losing to a 100-level team at home is bad. losing to them on the road isn't really the disgrace that some are making it out to be. long beach took BYU to the wire on the road; they beat Xavier on neutral; they lost at San Diego St by 1. k-state was in an unreal bad spot with that game being played prior to the maui tourney, but even absent of that, it was far from a sure or easy win.

Playing very bad basketball in these games is the bigger problem, imo.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2015, 01:48:52 PM »

xavier -4.5
ucla -3.5
sdsu -4.5
texas -8.5
st john's -3
byu -7.5

Playing very bad basketball in these games is the bigger problem, imo.

the margin of defeat is concerning in a few of those losses. but losing? it's not as bad as people are suggesting.

i don't mind if people argue that k-state is unworthy of making the tourney because they couldn't win those winnable games. i merely object to the presumption that these road wins at lbsu, tenn, texas tech and tcu are easy, no-doubters - because they weren't and aren't - not even for the b12's tourney locks like baylor or wvu.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »
Kansas & Kansas State are the only 2 teams in college basketball with 5 wins against teams in the top 50.

Not sure where you got that, but it's not even close to being correct.