Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4069423 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #1125 on: June 06, 2010, 07:41:18 PM »

lol

Muster up some amount of honesty and ask yourself, who(between ku and ksu) has a better chance at being picked up by these future super conferences?

Now ask yourself, who then benefits most by being artificially tied to the other?

My point dude, is even if KU is more attractive to suiters(they are), KU not being picked by potential suiters has little to nothing to do with being tied to KSU.  It is still a cute rallying cry and a reliable scapegoat for when things don't go your way.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

catzacker

« Reply #1126 on: June 06, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
my hope is that the Big 12 stays together, but the results of all of this is that the schools just hating the sh*t out of each other in public.  more like the big 8 was. 

Yeah, it would be amazing

prolly needs to be discussion/threads around mean chants to yell at south schools if they stay or if they go.  i mean "we own texas" can only go so far.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 06, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »
I could be wrong but I'm not sure that no Big East in football really does anything to hurt the Big East with regards to bball.

Not right now, but if the B10 steals 4 Big East schools to go along with MU/NU the Big East programs that are left that have a football team will merge with the ACC (that has just been raided by the SEC).  The new Big East/ACC combo will probably not allow ND in without football.  So, ND would be left with the option of joining some garbage conference to play all their sports. A lot of garbage conferences would love to have them (the Loser 4, as Trim pointed out) but none of the new major super conferences would.  ND would be faced with trying to play all their sports as an indy (which is not really feasible in a lot of sports) or join some garbage conference to play which I don't see them wanting to do. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 06, 2010, 08:08:27 PM »
PeteThamelNYT

Source: Baylor appears to have bumped Colo in Pac-10 expansion. Also, Pac-10 pres have concern over TT and OSU academics.

catzacker

« Reply #1129 on: June 06, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »
PeteThamelNYT

Source: Baylor appears to have bumped Colo in Pac-10 expansion. Also, Pac-10 pres have concern over TT and OSU academics.

LOL.  Baptists over Boulder.  Who would have thought?  And LOL at the Pac-10 pres having any concerns over the check their school will get with their new tv deal.

twitter is practically Days of Our Lives when it comes to expansion talk.  simply amazing.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 06, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »
"Uhh yeah we're a little concerned about the Academic requirements down there at Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.  Supposedly they are just glorified community colleges." 

That's the kind of crap that gives CU fans huge boners when they dream of joining the Pac 10.

Offline DOOMsday

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 06, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »
PeteThamelNYT

A conference with Arizona State is concerned about academics?
 :flush:

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 06, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »
don't really get the "ultimatum".  "hey, nebraska (and possibly mu), you need to tell us you're committed to the big 12, even though the entire south division might leave."  so NU's supposed to take everyone else's word that they're not going to bolt to the PAC-10?  it seems like someone (i.e. Texas) knows that NU doesn't have an offer from the Big 10 or won't be invited by the big 10 and is just trying to make sure NU knows that they are (the state of) Texas's bitch. 

i assume that all schools would be making some kind of agreement/contract that if they leave the big12 within the next 10 years or whatever that they will owe millions and millions or something. if neb signs/agrees then everybody else does as well. or maybe everybody else already has and it's contingent on neb signing as well or something.
def trying to force nubbs hand. sign/agree now with the rest of us or face the possibility that the big10 might not want you afterall and then you're screwed cause texas and ou are already in the pac10 and your stuck w/ kstate, iowa state, ku.

yeah, you'd just think they'd mention that in a story.  "everyone has signed the 'Texas Ultimatum' except NU and MU and they have until June 14th to do so". 

Kinda figured that if NU/MU don't sign the Texas ultimatum by Friday, then the Big XII would start trying to pick up Louisville/Utah/etc as replacements.

It would be amazing if NU/MU said they were bolting, Big XII picked up 2 new schools, followed by the Big 10 deciding they don't really need MU or NU.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1133 on: June 06, 2010, 09:25:44 PM »
my hope is that the Big 12 stays together, but the results of all of this is that the schools just hating the sh*t out of each other in public.  more like the big 8 was. 

prolly needs to be discussion/threads around mean chants to yell at south schools if they stay or if they go.  i mean "we own texas" can only go so far.

"Stanford hates you."

Kind of weak, but it has the same amount of syllables as our normal insult chants.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 06, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »
PeteThamelNYT

Pffttt...no concern over OU academics??  That school is no academic mecca.  Bunch  of hypocrites.  They should have an issue with everyone except texas.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 06, 2010, 09:29:25 PM »
Source: Me

Pac 10 Officials need to be concerned about Baylor students and administrators showing up to all events wearing suits and distributing Bibles.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 06, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »
Source: Me
Pac 10 Officials should know that the Baylor University president is Ken Starr.  The same Ken Starr that investigated Clinton during the Lewinsky scandal.

Guess how popular he'll be at the Pac 10 meetings.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 06, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »
don't really get the "ultimatum".  "hey, nebraska (and possibly mu), you need to tell us you're committed to the big 12, even though the entire south division might leave."  so NU's supposed to take everyone else's word that they're not going to bolt to the PAC-10?  it seems like someone (i.e. Texas) knows that NU doesn't have an offer from the Big 10 or won't be invited by the big 10 and is just trying to make sure NU knows that they are (the state of) Texas's bitch.  

i assume that all schools would be making some kind of agreement/contract that if they leave the big12 within the next 10 years or whatever that they will owe millions and millions or something. if neb signs/agrees then everybody else does as well. or maybe everybody else already has and it's contingent on neb signing as well or something.
def trying to force nubbs hand. sign/agree now with the rest of us or face the possibility that the big10 might not want you afterall and then you're screwed cause texas and ou are already in the pac10 and your stuck w/ kstate, iowa state, ku.

yeah, you'd just think they'd mention that in a story.  "everyone has signed the 'Texas Ultimatum' except NU and MU and they have until June 14th to do so".  

Kinda figured that if NU/MU don't sign the Texas ultimatum by Friday, then the Big XII would start trying to pick up Louisville/Utah/etc as replacements.

It would be amazing if NU/MU said they were bolting, Big XII picked up 2 new schools, followed by the Big 10 deciding they don't really need MU or NU.
We would take them back in a heartbeat.

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 06, 2010, 10:03:55 PM »
don't really get the "ultimatum".  "hey, nebraska (and possibly mu), you need to tell us you're committed to the big 12, even though the entire south division might leave."  so NU's supposed to take everyone else's word that they're not going to bolt to the PAC-10?  it seems like someone (i.e. Texas) knows that NU doesn't have an offer from the Big 10 or won't be invited by the big 10 and is just trying to make sure NU knows that they are (the state of) Texas's bitch.  

yeah, you'd just think they'd mention that in a story.  "everyone has signed the 'Texas Ultimatum' except NU and MU and they have until June 14th to do so".  

We would take them back in a heartbeat.

screw them, pick up memphis and if we can louisville and move on.  personally i think it would be awesome if we just kicked mizzou out and added memphis.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 06, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »
I could be wrong but I'm not sure that no Big East in football really does anything to hurt the Big East with regards to bball.

Not right now, but if the B10 steals 4 Big East schools to go along with MU/NU the Big East programs that are left that have a football team will merge with the ACC (that has just been raided by the SEC).  The new Big East/ACC combo will probably not allow ND in without football.  So, ND would be left with the option of joining some garbage conference to play all their sports. A lot of garbage conferences would love to have them (the Loser 4, as Trim pointed out) but none of the new major super conferences would.  ND would be faced with trying to play all their sports as an indy (which is not really feasible in a lot of sports) or join some garbage conference to play which I don't see them wanting to do. 

very true.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: June 06, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
Big 12 will epically fun in 2010-2011

Road games for MU, NU, CU will be hell.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 06, 2010, 11:05:21 PM »
Big 12 will epically fun in 2010-2011

Road games for MU, NU, CU will be hell.

Nebraska is at home on October 7th Thursday night prime time on ESPN  :blindfold:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 06, 2010, 11:07:31 PM »
College athletics is on the verge of becoming completely f_cked up.

An no, I am not mad or bitter because I understood that if things changed K-State could be left out a long, long time ago . . . and I pretty much figured thing would change dramatically.

But, the powers that be are about to ruin it . . . there's nothing on the table that says smart growth from a long term viability viewpoint.   It's all pretty much about the here and now.   Sorry, but I don't see the folks at Cal getting all that fired up when the Texas Tech Red Raiders come to town.    I don't see the folks at UCLA giving 2 $hits if they're playing Texas A&M that weekend . . . if a conference gets too big, that means you might see another conference "foe" in your football stadium once every 8 to 10 years, woo hoo, now that exciting, "we'll see you Texags back here in 2021 and we're gonna kick your a$$".  

IMO there's literally hundreds of millions of dollars being left on the table because D1 college football doesn't have a playoff system.   They're letting a bunch of good old boys and bowl games of which very few people really even give a f_ck about run the show instead of having a playoff.   If they had a playoff system nobody would give f_ck about TV revenue like they do, because the chances are the conference take on a playoff system would render TV revenue insignificant chump change.   In a playoff system allow all non playoff teams to have 2 extra weeks of practice . . . . oh wait, trundling off to the "nobody gives a f_ck bowl" in which your school LOSSES money is a huge "Reward'.   Never mind.  

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 06, 2010, 11:16:12 PM »
super conferences make no scene to me honestly outside of TV deals because that'd be suck a clusterfuk. 12 is the perfect number as you see in the SEC ACC and Big XII with scheduling conference championship games and in basketball scheduling and tournaments work out great the Pac should add two and if they want Colorado take 'em we'll replace them w/ Memphis or BYU or Utah. ND needs to join the Big 10 giving them 12 and the Big East can stay at 8 football cause that number is the second best

jmo sorry if its  :powerespect:

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 06, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »
I hate the idea of super conferences because it makes going to road games so much harder for the average joe and his family.  Instead of an easy roadie to Stillwater, Lincoln, Boulder, etc now we're talking about Vegas, San Diego, Laramie, etc.  Ain't gonna happen for most people and that sucks.  Guess I'm still a bit sentimental about dads taking their sons to games and stuff and it seems like higher ticket prices have already made that more difficult, so having to travel half way across the continent to watch a road game is a major KITN to the blue collar family.  Guess they'll still be able to watch it on FSN though!  Course, Jr. will probably be asleep before the damn game is over @ 1230 AM CST.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 07, 2010, 12:09:12 AM »
I hate the idea of super conferences because it makes going to road games so much harder for the average joe and his family.  Instead of an easy roadie to Stillwater, Lincoln, Boulder, etc now we're talking about Vegas, San Diego, Laramie, etc.  Ain't gonna happen for most people and that sucks.  Guess I'm still a bit sentimental about dads taking their sons to games and stuff and it seems like higher ticket prices have already made that more difficult, so having to travel half way across the continent to watch a road game is a major KITN to the blue collar family.  Guess they'll still be able to watch it on FSN though!  Course, Jr. will probably be asleep before the damn game is over @ 1230 AM CST.

I get it but it isnt really true.  Once the league is broken down into divisions then you get the same thing as you had before. 

Take the PAC-10 example. 

West: Wash, Wazzu, Oregon St, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal 
Southwest: ASU, AZ, UT, TT, OSU, OU, BU, ATM

So you play the 7 in your group on a yearly basis, throw in one or two from the other division and you have effectively weeded out 1/4 of the countries top teams in finding a conference champion. Depending on whether teams should play 11 or 12 regular season games you would have then either 2 or 3 non conference opponents.  With this set-up travel would be a breeze.  It would be even easier in the east where the states are geographically smaller.

Sure you wouldn't see some of the teams in your conference but once every few years but that isn't the point.  With four similar leagues college football would be brought back into shape and the 4 league champions would be left for a playoff to decide the national title. 

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 07, 2010, 01:05:48 AM »
Would we have a rivalry with Texas if we only played them in football every 4 years? We essentially play them every other year. It makes sense to do that, but it also sucks for making rivalries, which would be necessary in a new conference.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 07, 2010, 01:20:21 AM »
Don't really see the point of being in the same conference as a team you will only play once every 4 years.  So, we get ASU in Tempe in 2014 and at home in 2018?  Sweet, I'll be sure to clear my calander for the home game!  May as well just be the Big 12/Pac 10 hardwood thing...

Offline iCat Pro

• Fan
  • some say... he only eats pickled vegetables
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 07, 2010, 04:12:48 AM »

We shouldn't need to chant anything except "thank you, thank you" and "well done, well done"

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 07, 2010, 05:08:29 AM »
"thank you, thank you"

always appropriate when facing texas.