Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4110012 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #9425 on: September 04, 2011, 03:35:19 PM »
We're about ready to see the Cuban Missle Crisis of the Big 12 right here.  We have a front row seat to whether or not Armageddon is going to happen.

I'd love to be on the phone when Larry Scott gets a phone call from someone in the Texas legislature to lawyer up because the wrath of God (Baylor) is coming down up on him.

If things are saved and A&M has to come back, this will all be worth it to see Aggie completely demoralized and defeated.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9426 on: September 04, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Why is it so hard to be a K-State fan?  :dunno:
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

catzacker

« Reply #9427 on: September 04, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »
I'm sure this is what OU wants....being told they have to stay by Texas.  The balls on those steers are amazing.

this whole f'ing thing is mind boggling.  

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #9428 on: September 04, 2011, 03:54:38 PM »
Why is it so hard to be a K-State fan?  :dunno:

Because God is angry at us because we skip church on Sundays to post on BBSes while scratching our nuts and sipping on Sam's Choice cola.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9429 on: September 04, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »

Legislative forces trying to slow down any move to Pac-12 ...   Reply
Legislators and statewide office holders have swung into high-pressure mode to get Texas president Bill Powers and athletic director DeLoss Dodds to slow down any decision that might involve the Longhorns joining the Pac-12, multiple sources said Sunday.

With reports surfacing that Oklahoma is all but ready to commit to the Pac-12, Texas lawmakers are so concerned about the Longhorns possibly following suit that a full-court press is being made to slow things down by elected officials and corporate CEOs with influence, sources said.

"We don't want any hasty decision being made that hasn't been well thought out," one lawmaker told Orangebloods.com on Sunday.

Sources said the reason lawmakers are hot is that they received assurances from the Big 12, including Powers, that the Big 12 would survive without Texas A&M.

And because of those assurances, lawmakers did not take an aggressive stand against Texas A&M withdrawing from the Big 12. But that may be changing.

Sources said members of the Legislature are or will be reaching out to Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin to tell him the Aggies may no longer have the blessing of lawmakers to leave the Big 12, especially if it looks like the Big 12 will collapse.

According to sources close to Texas A&M, there is expected to be more movement involving the Aggies and the Southeastern Conference Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

Sources say statewide office holders such as lieutenant governor David Dewhurst and Texas House Speaker Joe Straus haven't been active on realignment up to this point but now are getting involved.

A source in the Big 12 says there is also an increasing likelihood of litigation against the Southeastern Conference as well as the Pac-12 if the Big 12 comes apart.

In other words, it's about to get messy.

Orangebloods.com reported Friday night that Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call Friday afternoon with Big 12 presidents - excluding OU's David Boren, UT's Bill Powers and A&M's Bowen Loftin. The purpose of the call, sources said, was to get the rest of the Big 12 to "work on Texas" and keep the Longhorns in the league.

It's Beebe's belief that Oklahoma wouldn't be accepted into the Pac-12 without Texas, sources said. But sources have told Orangebloods.com Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott would take OU and Oklahoma State with or without Texas.

The question then becomes would OU go to the Pac-12 without Texas?

There is wide belief among those involved in this situation that OU needs the Texas rivalry and the ability to keep playing games in the state of Texas for recruiting purposes so much that it would forego the Pac-12 if Texas decided to stay in the Big 12.

But reports out of Oklahoma the past two days have said OU is totally focused on the Pac-12 and may be ready to commit.

A source close to Texas told Orangebloods.com Friday night that Texas is "leaning" toward the Pac-12 if Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech would make such a move.

That source said Sunday the percentages of Texas joining OU, OSU and Texas Tech in a move to the Pac-12 "are increasing. But a lot can change in seven or eight days."

Those things that could influence Texas' thought process are the pressure from lawmakers to hold the Big 12 together; ESPN's influence on the situation as the Tier 1 rights holder in the Big 12 and as the owner/operator of the Longhorn Network; and perhaps the appeal of another conference, the Texas source said.

A Texas source and an industry source say the Longhorn Network can be reworked to accommodate the Pac-12 and is not an obstacle for Texas to join that league. But sources say Texas has not indicated to ESPN that it plans to change conferences.

Legislative sources say Texas is telling them if Oklahoma leaves for the Pac-12, the Big 12 is dead and the Longhorns' best option would be to go with OU, OSU and Tech to join the Pac-12. Those legislative forces, however, are telling Texas to tell Oklahoma to slow down.

The pressure is mounting everywhere in this latest round of college realignment.

Stay tuned.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9430 on: September 04, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »
The tuck leadership is beginning to lay the groundwork for pacifying the masses.

Leland

GoPowercat Ring of Fame member
Post #15121
Nunavut, Canada

POLL: Assuming it is inevitable that D1A will become two-tiered...

Assuming it is inevitable that D1A will become two-tiered with 64 teams in "mega" conferences and 56 "have-nots", do you want KSU to be in a mega-conference?

Yes. The benefits heavily out-weigh the negatives, and I want KSU to play in the "big-time".

No. It is already difficult for KSU to compete against the huge money schools, and it will be even more difficult once there are only 64 "major" programs.

with 64 teams in "power" conferences and 56 "have-nots", do you want KSU to be in the 64, or not?

Posted on 9/4 1:31 PM | IP: Logged

I fully realize they will rationalize mediocrity at all levels.  But wow.

I am speechless.  I am without speech.

Conceding athletic competitiveness is ONE part of this equation.  Dropping to a mid-major will have far reaching effects accross every level of the University and community as a whole.

The mere suggestion of the idea that there may by "benefits" to losing our major conference status is literally so asinine on so many levels it is almost incomprehensible.

While I don't agree there are benefits to losing major conference status, no one sane would.  I vehemently disagree that losing BCS status would "have far reaching effects across every level of the University."  First of all, the BCS is 12 years old.  There isn't a university in the BCS who has had their academic status significantly effected by being in or out of the BCS.  There are many schools not involved in a BCS conference that have high enrollment, high academic status, huge endowments, and enough grant money that you may think they print their own.  There is absolutely no evidence tying conference status to university academic standing.  Just ask Nebraska.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9431 on: September 04, 2011, 05:12:49 PM »
The tuck leadership is beginning to lay the groundwork for pacifying the masses.

Leland

Post #15121
Nunavut, Canada

Assuming it is inevitable that D1A will become two-tiered with 64 teams in "mega" conferences and 56 "have-nots", do you want KSU to be in a mega-conference?

Yes. The benefits heavily out-weigh the negatives, and I want KSU to play in the "big-time".

No. It is already difficult for KSU to compete against the huge money schools, and it will be even more difficult once there are only 64 "major" programs.

with 64 teams in "power" conferences and 56 "have-nots", do you want KSU to be in the 64, or not?

Conceding athletic competitiveness is ONE part of this equation.  Dropping to a mid-major will have far reaching effects accross every level of the University and community as a whole.

The mere suggestion of the idea that there may by "benefits" to losing our major conference status is literally so asinine on so many levels it is almost incomprehensible.

While I don't agree there are benefits to losing major conference status, no one sane would.  I vehemently disagree that losing BCS status would "have far reaching effects across every level of the University."  First of all, the BCS is 12 years old.  There isn't a university in the BCS who has had their academic status significantly effected by being in or out of the BCS.  There are many schools not involved in a BCS conference that have high enrollment, high academic status, huge endowments, and enough grant money that you may think they print their own.  There is absolutely no evidence tying conference status to university academic standing.  Just ask Nebraska.

You're right, we could be Colorado State without the mountains.  Let's all accept that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9432 on: September 04, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »

Leland

Post #15121
Nunavut, Canada

While I don't agree there are benefits to losing major conference status, no one sane would.  I vehemently disagree that losing BCS status would "have far reaching effects across every level of the University."  First of all, the BCS is 12 years old.  There isn't a university in the BCS who has had their academic status significantly effected by being in or out of the BCS.  There are many schools not involved in a BCS conference that have high enrollment, high academic status, huge endowments, and enough grant money that you may think they print their own.  There is absolutely no evidence tying conference status to university academic standing.  Just ask Nebraska.

You're right, we could be Colorado State without the mountains.  Let's all accept that.
:confused:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9433 on: September 04, 2011, 05:30:17 PM »

While I don't agree there are benefits to losing major conference status, no one sane would.  I vehemently disagree that losing BCS status would "have far reaching effects across every level of the University."  First of all, the BCS is 12 years old.  There isn't a university in the BCS who has had their academic status significantly effected by being in or out of the BCS.  There are many schools not involved in a BCS conference that have high enrollment, high academic status, huge endowments, and enough grant money that you may think they print their own.  There is absolutely no evidence tying conference status to university academic standing.  Just ask Nebraska.

I completely disagree with you.

No school has gone from BCS to Non-BCS before.

There is TONS of evidence that ties athletic success to donations, general enrollment, and funding that comes with increased general enrollment.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #9434 on: September 04, 2011, 05:39:35 PM »

There is TONS of evidence that ties athletic success to donations, general enrollment, and funding that comes with increased general enrollment.

The canonized SI article on Snyder mentions some hard figures on this. We'd absolutely suffer and inevitably start to shrivel.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9435 on: September 04, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
There is one bright side to come out of our inevitable move to the MWC: KU will also get cast off into that league and they won't be able to blame EMAW for not getting a power conference invite.

The bbs'ing would just be the best you'll ever see.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: September 04, 2011, 05:41:30 PM »

Temple.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: September 04, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »

The BCS is 12 years old, that is completely irrelevant.  Houston was a big player in a conference that won national championships, now they are in C*USA, they are a top 50 public research university.  What in the 2025 initiative will be effected by conference status?  A little bit under half of the top 50 public research universities are never were never will be BCS schools.  Tying university success to a football structure that is 12 years old doesn't even meet the standard as speculative.  You may be of the opinion that it will have a negative effect, but that opinion would be based on flimsy ground.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9438 on: September 04, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »
The dissolving of the swc was kind of like school losing bcs status.

We'll be in the bcs bIg East with ku and mu, so we'll be fine.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9439 on: September 04, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »

Temple.

Weren't they attempting to take their football from D2 to D1 at the time?  :dunno:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9440 on: September 04, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »
I am hoping that Delaney and the Big 10 really are serious when they say that they don't see value in simply expanding for expansion sake...that they are happy splitting their pie amongst 12.  And, I am similarly hoping that the SEC grabs one more school and that they are good staying at 14.

That would allow the Big East to continue to operate as a BCS conference.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: September 04, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »
At least we'll always have NBAF  :kstategrad:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: September 04, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »

The canonized SI article on Snyder mentions some hard figures on this. We'd absolutely suffer and inevitably start to shrivel.

The SI article mentions the increase in attendance.  The entire regents system had enrollment growth over the same period.  Even WSU who lost football.  There also was a change in administration at Kansas State over the same period.  I'm not arguing that more people won't enroll at a school with academic success and more people may contribute to the academics of said school.  But you guys are overselling the effect.  

It's natural for zealous college sports fans to think everyone at the university about athletics cares as much as we do, but we are in a extreme minority.  Some of you sound like the Wichita State fans here who think the university enrollment is up because they are "good" at basketball.  

catzacker

« Reply #9443 on: September 04, 2011, 05:53:33 PM »

Just spit balling here, buy wouldn't it behoove the football playing big east schools to "join" the big 12 and wipe their ass with texas, ou, osu ,tt, and a&m's exit fees?

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9444 on: September 04, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »
Don't underestimate the effect of David Boren polishing his nuts by touting how he got OU into an "academic" conference, and be retired by the time the travel nightmares of being in the PAC 12 surface.  Even if the Tejas legislature forces A&M back into the Big 12, OU's loss would  be several magnitudes larger than A&M's.  Just sayin'.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: September 04, 2011, 05:55:19 PM »

Temple.

Weren't they attempting to take their football from D2 to D1 at the time?  :dunno:

No.  Temple played in a major football conference until they were booted from the Big east in 2005.  They were indy for 2 years and now they are in the MAC

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9446 on: September 04, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »

Absolutely my point.  They were in what was considered a major conference and then they were not.  Hasn't had a negative effect on their academics or enrollment at all.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9447 on: September 04, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »

Temple.

No.  Temple played in a major football conference until they were booted from the Big east in 2005.  They were indy for 2 years and now they are in the MAC

Yeah, Temple was basically underachieving as hard as we were pre-1989. So the Big East basically kicked their ass to the curb.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: September 04, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Meanwhile, Cheyenne Zulu is shitting his pants.

http://www2.kusports.com/videos/2011/sep/03/34966/

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: September 04, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »

Just spit balling here, buy wouldn't it behoove the football playing big east schools to "join" the big 12 and wipe their ass with texas, ou, osu ,tt, and a&m's exit fees?

You'd think something like that would be compelling, but their a conference Commish on their side too...and I bet he's not wild about losing his job.