Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4067079 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #36575 on: February 22, 2024, 03:23:19 PM »
If the other conferences were smart and NOT short-sighted (and we know this to be untrue), all non-SEC/Big Ten conferences would cozy up to the punching bag that is the NCAA and present a unified front to the SEC/Big Ten. Basically, tell them to eff off with their football demands and let them know that if/when they choose to break away for football, they'll be unwelcome to participate in any other NCAA sports (including the men's b-ball tourney cash cow).

People just do not understand the level of infrastructure necessary to provide administration/structure to dozens of sports. It's easy to crap all over the NCAA - and, rightly so in many cases - but what they do isn't easy. The SEC league office probably has about 30ish employees. The NCAA has more than 3,000.

Telling those two leagues to administer/govern 30+ sports would stop them in their tracks because no conference has the infrastructure in place to do it and it'd take many, many years and tens of millions of dollars to get to that point.

Agree for the most part. Prob, is, most of these dudes making the decisions give no fucks about the other sports anyway. They'd be happy to rid themselves of the Olympic sports that cost them money.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36576 on: February 22, 2024, 04:13:44 PM »
If the other conferences were smart and NOT short-sighted (and we know this to be untrue), all non-SEC/Big Ten conferences would cozy up to the punching bag that is the NCAA and present a unified front to the SEC/Big Ten. Basically, tell them to eff off with their football demands and let them know that if/when they choose to break away for football, they'll be unwelcome to participate in any other NCAA sports (including the men's b-ball tourney cash cow).

People just do not understand the level of infrastructure necessary to provide administration/structure to dozens of sports. It's easy to crap all over the NCAA - and, rightly so in many cases - but what they do isn't easy. The SEC league office probably has about 30ish employees. The NCAA has more than 3,000.

Telling those two leagues to administer/govern 30+ sports would stop them in their tracks because no conference has the infrastructure in place to do it and it'd take many, many years and tens of millions of dollars to get to that point.

Agree for the most part. Prob, is, most of these dudes making the decisions give no fucks about the other sports anyway. They'd be happy to rid themselves of the Olympic sports that cost them money.

I'm not doubting that's true, but you still have to work around Title IX and if you had only a football program, you'd still have to have at least 3-4 women's sports to have equity balance. And, that's to say nothing of the massive revolt that would happen if a school like, say The Ohio State, cut 30ish sports of the 36 it currently offers.

Having said that... the NCAA is the governing body that mandates schools have at least 14 total sponsored sports to be D1. If those schools setup their own infrastructure, they could do whatever they want (within the boundaries of Title IX). But, still, a wholesale cutting of sports would be an enormous shitstorm that no university wants to take on - especially if they were bringing in loads of football $$$. Optics on that are terrible.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36577 on: February 22, 2024, 04:18:17 PM »
You might even be able to successfully argue that they didn't have to follow Title 9 if their athletic departments didn't take government money and were a separate entity that leased space from the University.  If the athletes are eventually deemed employees given a stipend toward optional education, then it could get even muddier.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36578 on: February 22, 2024, 08:55:04 PM »
Things will be much better for us when the P2 breaks off.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36579 on: February 22, 2024, 09:02:53 PM »
You might even be able to successfully argue that they didn't have to follow Title 9 if their athletic departments didn't take government money and were a separate entity that leased space from the University.  If the athletes are eventually deemed employees given a stipend toward optional education, then it could get even muddier.

Yeah - fair point.

Strange times we live in...

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36580 on: March 12, 2024, 10:19:05 AM »
https://flywareagle.com/posts/fsu-clemson-ok-state-k-state-texas-tech-join-sec-ku-notre-dame-unc-uva-joining-big-ten
FSU, Clemson, OK State, K-State, and Texas Tech may join SEC, with KU, Notre Dame, UNC, and UVA joining Big Ten
:dunno:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36581 on: March 12, 2024, 10:26:10 AM »
Don't believe any of that, but would take.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36582 on: March 12, 2024, 10:56:17 AM »
Gross. 

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36583 on: March 12, 2024, 11:10:17 AM »
https://flywareagle.com/posts/fsu-clemson-ok-state-k-state-texas-tech-join-sec-ku-notre-dame-unc-uva-joining-big-ten
FSU, Clemson, OK State, K-State, and Texas Tech may join SEC, with KU, Notre Dame, UNC, and UVA joining Big Ten
:dunno:

Radio host Greg Swaim, who correctly called Washington and Oregon joining the Big Ten

I mean, just check out the credentials. This guy knows football.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36584 on: March 12, 2024, 11:29:54 AM »
His name is an anagram of Swami.  Coincidence?  :surprised:

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36585 on: March 12, 2024, 12:03:27 PM »
I don't believe any of that either, but do take a great deal of delight in this line:

"Another possibility raised was Texas A&M leaving the SEC and joining the Big Ten since Texas is now the Lone Star State's marquee brand in the conference."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36586 on: March 12, 2024, 12:17:14 PM »
Look guys these talking heads are doing things to support the "Super 2", in the same way Endeavor supported Big 12 talking heads to help get the four corner schools.  They are having fun and getting lots of bait clicks for their "X" and YouTube programs.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36587 on: March 12, 2024, 12:19:15 PM »
Does the Big 12 conference have enough leverage in basketball to throw their weight around in the CFP negotiations.  Big 12 schools refusing to schedule SEC / Big 10 schools in basketball could have an impact.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36588 on: March 12, 2024, 12:29:37 PM »
Could be scare tactics, but I actually think this could happen

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1767566547218772344

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36589 on: March 12, 2024, 12:31:01 PM »
Does the Big 12 conference have enough leverage in basketball to throw their weight around in the CFP negotiations.  Big 12 schools refusing to schedule SEC / Big 10 schools in basketball could have an impact.

never going to happen.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #36590 on: March 12, 2024, 12:34:39 PM »

This is pete's dream
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36591 on: March 12, 2024, 12:52:03 PM »

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #36592 on: March 12, 2024, 04:35:20 PM »

Who abbreviates basketball as BSK? What a psycho

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36593 on: March 12, 2024, 06:08:13 PM »
I don't believe any of that either, but do take a great deal of delight in this line:

"Another possibility raised was Texas A&M leaving the SEC and joining the Big Ten since Texas is now the Lone Star State's marquee brand in the conference."

This is backwards. aTm belongs in the SEC. Texas SHOULD HAVE joined the big 10, if they insisted on leaving. That's what Bill Powers wanted, but he went and died.

That said, I do enjoy the dynamic of aTm trying to escape big brother's shadow, and then big brother showing up at his dorm and giving him a swirly. (I'm a UT alum.)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36594 on: March 12, 2024, 07:49:38 PM »

This is backwards. aTm belongs in the SEC. Texas SHOULD HAVE joined the big 10, if they insisted on leaving. That's what Bill Powers wanted, but he went and died.

That said, I do enjoy the dynamic of aTm trying to escape big brother's shadow, and then big brother showing up at his dorm and giving him a swirly. (I'm a UT alum.)

How does an alum of the Jayhawks and Longhorns end up on a board consisting of friends and alumni of the Wildcats?  I hope Texas works their evil magic on the SEC and in the near future the crying and bitching from SEC teams becomes great enough to destroy them.  Ride on MR. Longhorn!  :thumbsup:

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36595 on: March 12, 2024, 08:26:54 PM »

I’ve been suggesting this for decades.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36597 on: March 12, 2024, 09:15:23 PM »
A&M already left one conference to try to break away from Texas. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they did it again. And I think it would be hilarious.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36598 on: March 12, 2024, 09:24:33 PM »

How does an alum of the Jayhawks and Longhorns end up on a board consisting of friends and alumni of the Wildcats?  I hope Texas works their evil magic on the SEC and in the near future the crying and bitching from SEC teams becomes great enough to destroy them.  Ride on MR. Longhorn!  :thumbsup:

I honestly do not recall how I stumbled here. But I know I stayed because it had the best collection of people  :thumbs:

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36599 on: March 12, 2024, 10:11:44 PM »

I literally lol'd
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla