Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066170 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #36500 on: January 19, 2024, 10:08:01 PM »
Half the bowls suck because there are twice as many as there should be.

Agree completely.  Bowls should mean something and only teams with 7-5 or better can qualify. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36501 on: January 19, 2024, 10:51:00 PM »
Outside of the pop tart bowl I watched maybe 4 quarters total in other bowls but I can't imagine caring about how many bowls there are. Give everyone a bowl if it's financially viable. Who gives a eff?

Yeah, it's such a weird take. There are over 1500 FBS football games played every year, I don't understand caring or not caring about a couple of bowl games that you don't watch, when we don't care about 80% of the rest of the games played in the sport

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36502 on: January 19, 2024, 11:01:54 PM »
I love bowl season. I think it’s cool having a bunch of CFB games on during the holidays at odd hours in interesting locations with sometimes wacky themes.

I barely ever pay attention to the games even when I have the TV on, but that’s true for most things these days other than the Cats and Chiefs.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36503 on: January 20, 2024, 07:25:14 AM »
I love bowl season. I think it’s cool having a bunch of CFB games on during the holidays at odd hours in interesting locations with sometimes wacky themes.

I barely ever pay attention to the games even when I have the TV on, but that’s true for most things these days other than the Cats and Chiefs.

Yeah, bowls are fun, and you occasionally get one (like the Pop Tarts) that becomes the media darling for the season, and a little beyond. It's also fun to see schools that often would never play, or have never played, play each other. I mean because of bowls we have played Michigan, Ohio State, Rutgers, and NC State, for the first (and so far only) time.

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36504 on: January 20, 2024, 10:13:13 AM »
How about both another tournament and bowl games?

There were 43 bowl games this year (86 teams), and 134 FBS teams (in 10 conferences) total.  If we created a G5 NIT playoff that did NOT have first round byes like the P5 playoff, we could have 24 teams in the G5 and another 12 in the P5 for 36 total teams.  That's still 50 rough ridin' teams left over that can continue to participate in bowls...still 25 quirky odd little bowls that everyone can watch or not watch.

My guess is that the advertising money for a G5 playoff would be vastly larger than it would be if those 36 teams played in traditional bowl games.  The money should be used to pay out to those participating teams and their conferences.  It would be a wonderful boost to the G5 conference champions AND to the likely remaining P5 qualifiers who made up the rest of the field.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36505 on: January 20, 2024, 10:31:56 AM »
My math was bad, I think there would be more bowls.  Only 16 teams in the G5 tournament instead of 24. Tho heck, it would be fine with 12...I was just interested in getting more teams into the thing so that more could benefit from it.  Still, LOADS of room for bowls to continue to exist if folks still had an appetite for them.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36506 on: January 20, 2024, 11:36:44 AM »
Have a qualifying tournament for the G5.  Have the conference champs and the top 5 rated G5 teams play an early tournament with the winner getting a trophy and right to play in the A-4 tournament.  I think it would be watched and have a lot of interest, plus fun games.  Also, eff the bowls with only the New Years 6 still around.

This way the G5 gets pais as they would have a network contract for their tournament and the 20% payout from the A-4 CFP.

It's a WIN, WIN for all!

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #36507 on: January 26, 2024, 10:43:17 PM »
It's good to see TJ made it through the PAC 12 collapse without turning bitter. . .

https://x.com/TJAltimore/status/1750900112941789668

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36508 on: January 26, 2024, 11:34:46 PM »
Advice to all: Never ever hire that guy to consult you on anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36509 on: January 27, 2024, 10:53:22 AM »
It's good to see TJ made it through the PAC 12 collapse without turning bitter. . .

https://x.com/TJAltimore/status/1750900112941789668

Those that he is mocking for retiring look super old, and could be interpreted as retiring now that they have completed their successful stewarding of their school through a mine field.  Hell, I probably would have retired once I heard that the big 10 was close to landing USC...let the next young leader figuring that crap out.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36510 on: January 27, 2024, 09:18:28 PM »
Tony Altimore is a PAC/USC hack.  He had nothing good to say about the Big XII.  I like to flush his BS down the toilet before it stinks up the place.

Offline Cats-aholic

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36511 on: January 29, 2024, 08:32:42 AM »
Tony Altimore is a PAC/USC hack.  He had nothing good to say about the Big XII.  I like to flush his BS down the toilet before it stinks up the place.

Lmao tried to click it to see the replies but that goon blocked me.  I guess for liking tweets that called him out on his bull.  I'm honored.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36512 on: January 29, 2024, 09:44:26 PM »

Lmao tried to click it to see the replies but that goon blocked me.  I guess for liking tweets that called him out on his bull.  I'm honored.

Yes, he and PAC 12 lying sack of crap John Canzano are both very sensitive.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36517 on: February 02, 2024, 12:50:24 PM »
I'm sure they'll find fair and equitable solutions for everyone
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline jc_jax

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36518 on: February 02, 2024, 01:27:29 PM »
In the replies to that tweet, someone added a map showing 60 teams in 10 divisions.  No Oregon St, Washington St, BYU or Cincy.  No idea who added it though.

Actually, never mind. Lots of teams left out.  Boston College, Northwestern, etc.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 01:33:45 PM by jc_jax »
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36519 on: February 02, 2024, 07:05:15 PM »
rough ridin' told you guys

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36520 on: February 03, 2024, 10:38:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1753470349637812343

1. How to take over the entire football playoff, capture all playoff spots, and have exclusive access to all funds generated from the playoff.

2. How to create their own men's basketball national championship tournament that makes them more than it does today (should be easy to make more money than they do today, if they don't share with the NCAA, even if it drops massively in overall popularity).

3. Set a timeline for when to bother to worry about what happens to non-football and non-mens basketball sports.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36521 on: February 03, 2024, 01:33:31 PM »
We are going to start winning national championships once this happens. And we probably won't need ESPN to watch our games. This is going to be great.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36522 on: February 03, 2024, 08:14:55 PM »
We are going to start winning national championships once this happens. And we probably won't need ESPN to watch our games. This is going to be great.
What should we call it? I was thinking something like Historically Elite League of Majestic Schools?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36523 on: February 04, 2024, 12:55:53 AM »
What should we call it? I was thinking something like Historically Elite League of Majestic Schools?

The 4Real Decades of Dominance.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36524 on: February 06, 2024, 08:11:01 AM »
So, while the Dartmouth ruling is being appealed by the school, do the employees get to continue down their path toward organizing? I assume Dartmouth will ask for an injunction to "freeze" that until an appeal, but will they get that?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/how-a-ruling-that-dartmouth-basketball-players-are-school-employees-can-join-union-may-change-college-sports/