Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068414 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #36475 on: December 23, 2023, 08:54:16 PM »
So, ACC's ESPN contract extends to 2035-2036?  Wouldn't it be ironic if broadcast rights revenue contracted between now and then, and other conferences had to settle for less than what the ACC receives now?  SEC / big 10 / Big 12 all come up for negotiation before 2030.  Decreasing revenue is not that far-fetched of an idea, fans are becoming disgruntled at realignment and elimination of regional rivalries.  That my translate into fewer eyeballs on FBS games.

It's definitely going to decrease, whether the ratings do or not, although I think the expanded playoffs will help with the ratings. The Big 12 will likely end up with less, unless Yormark can figure out a way to uncouple basketball rights. The SEC and Big 10's rights won't decrease by enough to get in the neighborhood of the ACC and Big 12.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36476 on: December 23, 2023, 09:11:25 PM »
Time value of money tho. We’ll have a good run of making $10M+ more a year.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36477 on: December 24, 2023, 02:15:47 PM »
:lol:

The responses to the breakup letter came rolling in. The presidents of Oregon, Arizona and Arizona State, all of whom had secured new conferences, were somber but supportive.

The two schools most jilted by UW and Oregon’s decisions were their in-state rivals, Washington State and Oregon State. UW and Oregon’s decision will likely cost WSU and OSU tens of millions of dollars.

WSU President Kirk Schulz went for gallows humor.

“Remaining institutions are fighting for our athletic lives right now. Our financial modeling of a 40% budget reduction in athletics is tough and will certainly be career ending for much of our current leadership,” he wrote in response. “If I deliver a pizza to your door on my next job — please give me a nice tip!!”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/college/inside-the-frantic-final-days-of-the-pac-12/

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36478 on: December 24, 2023, 04:00:02 PM »

The responses to the breakup letter came rolling in. The presidents of Oregon, Arizona and Arizona State, all of whom had secured new conferences, were somber but supportive.

The two schools most jilted by UW and Oregon’s decisions were their in-state rivals, Washington State and Oregon State. UW and Oregon’s decision will likely cost WSU and OSU tens of millions of dollars.

“Remaining institutions are fighting for our athletic lives right now. Our financial modeling of a 40% budget reduction in athletics is tough and will certainly be career ending for much of our current leadership,” he wrote in response. “If I deliver a pizza to your door on my next job — please give me a nice tip!!”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/college/inside-the-frantic-final-days-of-the-pac-12/
Enjoyed the hell out of this.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36479 on: December 28, 2023, 10:44:44 AM »

Enjoyed the hell out of this.

I am simply reminded of how much I still hate him.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36480 on: December 28, 2023, 10:46:19 AM »
So, ACC's ESPN contract extends to 2035-2036?  Wouldn't it be ironic if broadcast rights revenue contracted between now and then, and other conferences had to settle for less than what the ACC receives now?  SEC / big 10 / Big 12 all come up for negotiation before 2030.  Decreasing revenue is not that far-fetched of an idea, fans are becoming disgruntled at realignment and elimination of regional rivalries.  That my translate into fewer eyeballs on FBS games.

It's definitely going to decrease, whether the ratings do or not, although I think the expanded playoffs will help with the ratings. The Big 12 will likely end up with less, unless Yormark can figure out a way to uncouple basketball rights. The SEC and Big 10's rights won't decrease by enough to get in the neighborhood of the ACC and Big 12.

Not only do I believe the money will decrease, I believe the ratings will as well. This continues to shape up to be repeats of the same seasons over and over and over with the same 6-8 programs essentially "buying" their way into the finals. People will eventually get sick of it.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36481 on: December 28, 2023, 11:01:53 AM »

Not only do I believe the money will decrease, I believe the ratings will as well. This continues to shape up to be repeats of the same seasons over and over and over with the same 6-8 programs essentially "buying" their way into the finals. People will eventually get sick of it.

That and younger generations are not as engaged with sports as the boomers are. So as the boomer population declines, so goes the tv money.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36482 on: December 28, 2023, 03:53:51 PM »

That and younger generations are not as engaged with sports as the boomers are. So as the boomer population declines, so goes the tv money.

Boomers aren't the primary TV watchers, Gen Xers are.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #36483 on: December 28, 2023, 05:02:54 PM »

Boomers aren't the primary TV watchers, Gen Xers are.
And we're not old contrary to the signs thread!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36484 on: January 14, 2024, 01:02:59 PM »

SPEND TEXAS, SPEND!  BUY THE SEC! 

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36485 on: January 18, 2024, 10:33:16 AM »
Not sure if this isn't a site run completely by AI: https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-football/5-biggest-opponents-fsu-seminoles-join-big-12-triggering-acc-conference-realignment

Do we have some kind of Turing test for blogs?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36486 on: January 18, 2024, 12:00:13 PM »
You guys think we'll ever have an NIT tournament for college football?  I hope so.  I'd like to see the bowls completely go away.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36487 on: January 18, 2024, 12:24:07 PM »
You guys think we'll ever have an NIT tournament for college football?  I hope so.  I'd like to see the bowls completely go away.

As long as the National Championship Game is still the Pop-Tarts bowl, I'm okay with this.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36488 on: January 18, 2024, 01:19:47 PM »

What's the problem with bowls? They're a great reward for the players and they get better viewership than regular season games, so the fans, despite many protestations, are clearly watching. They aren't harming a soul. I think bowl games, with expanded playoffs are one of the things the sport gets right.

To answer your question, NO. The bowls aren't going away in lieu of a lower tier tournament. ESPN owns all the bowls and there's no incentive for them to stop playing them. They have a cheap way to add a ton of ad revenue. As for the schools, you think you have opt outs now? You think adding two, three, four games for teams without the incentive being a national championship is going to work? In addition to that you're asking players to give up their winter break to go play meaningless games in Albuquerque, Starkville, Ames, etc? For who, for what? You'd have freshmen opting out.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36489 on: January 19, 2024, 11:53:33 AM »
Bowls sucking is a problem created by the bowls.  The Pop-Tarts bowl showed how fun a middling bowl can be if it's done right.  Non-NY6 bowls should all be circuses.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36490 on: January 19, 2024, 01:26:53 PM »
Half the bowls suck because there are twice as many as there should be.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36491 on: January 19, 2024, 01:37:43 PM »
Who decides which half of the bowls suck?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #36492 on: January 19, 2024, 02:17:22 PM »
Outside of the pop tart bowl I watched maybe 4 quarters total in other bowls but I can't imagine caring about how many bowls there are. Give everyone a bowl if it's financially viable. Who gives a eff?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36493 on: January 19, 2024, 02:21:45 PM »
Ts & Ps to all the people who are forced to watch all the bowl games every year

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36494 on: January 19, 2024, 03:01:43 PM »
Outside of the pop tart bowl I watched maybe 4 quarters total in other bowls but I can't imagine caring about how many bowls there are. Give everyone a bowl if it's financially viable. Who gives a eff?

I'm shocked by how few bowls I watched this season. But also, when I see San Jose State vs. Toledo or whatever, I'm just not interested.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #36495 on: January 19, 2024, 03:06:09 PM »
As I get older I just watch less and less of non-cats cfb.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36496 on: January 19, 2024, 03:23:55 PM »
I just think it would be fun to have another tournament to watch.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36497 on: January 19, 2024, 06:13:37 PM »
the twelve team playoff is going to be pretty damn exciting

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36498 on: January 19, 2024, 07:38:50 PM »
Yes. I truly hope the 12 team P5 AND the 12 team G6 playoffs happen. They could have an amazing opening weekend of on campus games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36499 on: January 19, 2024, 07:53:22 PM »
Yes. I truly hope the 12 team P5 AND the 12 team G6 playoffs happen. They could have an amazing opening weekend of on campus games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly!  I'd love a tournament that was the 5 conference champions that didn't get into the P5 playoff, and 7 schools that just didn't make into the P5 playoff.