Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4133850 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #36375 on: December 02, 2023, 01:47:13 PM »
so like roughly $10m after factoring in LH network revenue?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36376 on: December 02, 2023, 01:53:18 PM »

I don't think the LHN was going to be a revenue source going forward even if they stayed.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36377 on: December 02, 2023, 01:56:27 PM »
Yes for now, but if they didn't go they would lose the Longhorn network contract and ESPN won't renew in '25.  OU would still get their extra 8 million thou.  They needed to jump to get the money they were used to.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36378 on: December 03, 2023, 01:34:21 AM »

I don't think the LHN was going to be a revenue source going forward even if they stayed.

That LHN contract was set to expire in 2031, if they stayed and ESPN got rid of it, they would have had to pay UT. The want to kill LHN and not pay for it was one of the motivating factors for ESPN to influence a move to the SEC.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36379 on: December 05, 2023, 10:13:04 AM »
The Breakaway is starting

https://theathletic.com/5114092/2023/12/05/ncaa-subdivision-athlete-compensation-charlie-baker/

NCAA president Charlie Baker on Tuesday proposed the creation of a new subdivision within Division I that would allow the highest-resource schools the ability to compensate athletes directly through a trust fund and direct name, image and likeness (NIL) payments.

The groundbreaking proposal was sent out to Division I members and obtained by The Athletic on Tuesday morning, and it included the following recommendations:

The formation of a new subdivision made up of institutions with the highest resources that can directly compensate athletes through an “enhanced educational trust fund,” which requires the schools that opt into it an investment of at least $30,000 per year per athlete for at least half of the school’s eligible athletes. Schools would have to adhere to

Title IX, providing equal monetary opportunities to both female and male athletes.

Schools in the new subdivision could create their own rules separate from the rest of D-I, and those rules would allow them the ability to address policies such as scholarship limits and roster size as well as transfers and NIL.

Any Division I school would be able to enter into an NIL deal with its athletes directly, which is not currently permissible.

Any Division I school would be able to distribute to any athlete funding related to educational benefits without any caps on such compensation.

These recommendations from Baker come amid mounting pressure to allow schools to directly compensate their athletes, and as the NCAA is facing significant legal challenges to its model. In the letter to D-I members, Baker calls his proposal a “forward-looking framework” that “gives the educational institutions with the most visibility, the most financial resources and the biggest brands an opportunity to choose to operate with a different set of rules that more accurately reflect their scale and their operating model.”

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36380 on: December 05, 2023, 10:19:57 AM »
The Breakaway is starting

https://theathletic.com/5114092/2023/12/05/ncaa-subdivision-athlete-compensation-charlie-baker/

NCAA president Charlie Baker on Tuesday proposed the creation of a new subdivision within Division I that would allow the highest-resource schools the ability to compensate athletes directly through a trust fund and direct name, image and likeness (NIL) payments.

The groundbreaking proposal was sent out to Division I members and obtained by The Athletic on Tuesday morning, and it included the following recommendations:

The formation of a new subdivision made up of institutions with the highest resources that can directly compensate athletes through an “enhanced educational trust fund,” which requires the schools that opt into it an investment of at least $30,000 per year per athlete for at least half of the school’s eligible athletes. Schools would have to adhere to

Title IX, providing equal monetary opportunities to both female and male athletes.

Schools in the new subdivision could create their own rules separate from the rest of D-I, and those rules would allow them the ability to address policies such as scholarship limits and roster size as well as transfers and NIL.

Any Division I school would be able to enter into an NIL deal with its athletes directly, which is not currently permissible.

Any Division I school would be able to distribute to any athlete funding related to educational benefits without any caps on such compensation.

These recommendations from Baker come amid mounting pressure to allow schools to directly compensate their athletes, and as the NCAA is facing significant legal challenges to its model. In the letter to D-I members, Baker calls his proposal a “forward-looking framework” that “gives the educational institutions with the most visibility, the most financial resources and the biggest brands an opportunity to choose to operate with a different set of rules that more accurately reflect their scale and their operating model.”

I just posted this in the Paying our Players thread.  It will be interesting to see who decides to ramp up to a second tier pro team and who stays as scholarship only.  Division 1A will probably be somewhat small.  I mean, is it worth it to pay some players but not all, if you can't afford it?  Would this cause some schools to get rid of football so they could afford to pay women athletes?  I suppose this could just make all tickets go through the roof, but it could cause other choices to be made and that will be interesting.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36381 on: December 05, 2023, 10:21:23 AM »
https://www.k-state.edu/hr/careers/executive-profile/athletics/#:~:text=These%20new%20facilities%20impact%20all,and%2038%20six%2Dfigure%20gifts.

According to that link we have ~450 student athletes.  Funding at the min level would be 6.7 million per year.  Seems like we would have the funds to at least pay the cover charge to the new club.  Not sure if we we can then afford drinks or get any of the cool people to talk to us but we should at least be able to get in.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36382 on: December 05, 2023, 10:24:16 AM »
Will KU be sad that they just signed up to spend so much on their FB program?  Is this why there is a delay in getting started?

Maybe they will go BB only and just pay wild sums?  I think I would if I was them. 

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36383 on: December 05, 2023, 11:20:45 AM »
Will KU be sad that they just signed up to spend so much on their FB program?  Is this why there is a delay in getting started?

Maybe they will go BB only and just pay wild sums?  I think I would if I was them.

If they quit FB then their share of FB money is gone, so they look forward to BB-only money.  Talk about lil bro. LOL

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36384 on: December 05, 2023, 11:30:52 AM »

If they quit FB then their share of FB money is gone, so they look forward to BB-only money.  Talk about lil bro. LOL

I think he was just being mean, Pappy.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36385 on: December 05, 2023, 11:36:41 AM »

I agree, KU has too much money invested in new facilities tagged for FB.  It would be idiotic to think they would drop FB.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36386 on: December 05, 2023, 11:46:02 AM »

I wasn't being mean.  I am near wholy ignorant as to how the payout works.  This makes sense.  So, we will not have anyone dropping anything, just trying significantly less than others.  That will be wild.  For example, if OSU pays high salaries and someone like the Corn don't do anything more than the min $30k, we will see some wildly bad games. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36387 on: December 05, 2023, 11:47:46 AM »
I say let's put a salary cap in place, a HS draft, and just lean all the way in.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36388 on: December 05, 2023, 11:56:00 AM »
I say let's put a salary cap in place, a HS draft, and just lean all the way in.

Big surprise, KU fan here wants to be flush with early picks

The joke would've worked better a couple of years ago....

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36389 on: December 05, 2023, 11:57:45 AM »
https://www.k-state.edu/hr/careers/executive-profile/athletics/#:~:text=These%20new%20facilities%20impact%20all,and%2038%20six%2Dfigure%20gifts.

According to that link we have ~450 student athletes.  Funding at the min level would be 6.7 million per year.  Seems like we would have the funds to at least pay the cover charge to the new club.  Not sure if we we can then afford drinks or get any of the cool people to talk to us but we should at least be able to get in.

We can. We're essentially middle class within the P4. It looks pretty daunting on paper, but I'm not sure that it changes anything, in football anyway. When was the last time a non top like 20 percenter in revenue compete for a football national championship? TCU? We saw how close they were, which wasn't close at all.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36390 on: December 05, 2023, 12:34:06 PM »
A huge obstacle to this for many schools is the continued facade of needing to treat profitable and non-profitable sports equally.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36391 on: December 05, 2023, 12:46:50 PM »
A huge obstacle to this for many schools is the continued facade of needing to treat profitable and non-profitable sports equally.

lol, yes the facade of following federal law.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36392 on: December 05, 2023, 01:22:42 PM »

lol, yes the facade of following federal law.
Not if they spin off some sports into their own for-profit entities. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36393 on: December 05, 2023, 01:25:12 PM »
UNLESS I am the only guy who is going to be annoyed by the idea of paying the wrestling team and rowing team $30K a year on top of free tuition.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36394 on: December 05, 2023, 01:26:20 PM »
I think they should have to give them equal pay to whatever everyone else gets. Not some measly $30k floor.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36395 on: December 05, 2023, 01:30:19 PM »
I think they should have to give them equal pay to whatever everyone else gets. Not some measly $30k floor.

If they become employees, how will that work?  Should the dance coach be coming for CK and Tang’s salary level?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36396 on: December 05, 2023, 01:34:33 PM »
I don't really like the idea of the university directly determining the value of the athletes. Either make it a stipend that everyone gets or leave the payments to the boosters. I also think that student fees going to athletics should be illegal and that 10% of all athletic revenue should go back to a general scholarship fund for the student body.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36397 on: December 05, 2023, 02:08:45 PM »

We can. We're essentially middle class within the P4. It looks pretty daunting on paper, but I'm not sure that it changes anything, in football anyway. When was the last time a non top like 20 percenter in revenue compete for a football national championship? TCU? We saw how close they were, which wasn't close at all.

The expanded playoff almost certainly will change that. I don't think it's a coincidence that some of the more prominent programs are suddenly interested in staying on a short list of potential national champs.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36398 on: December 05, 2023, 03:12:30 PM »

I don't understand your outrage against NIL which I have for paying these kids for years.  When I said NIL was big last year you claimed it was nothing, even thou the Baylor AD said they were in the lower half of the league with only 5 million to pay with NIL and needed to improve on that to complete.  f we can spend over 300 million for facilities we can afford to pay these kids.  Also, this is OT, but I think BY is going to renegotiate the network contract if the ACC falls apart.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36399 on: December 05, 2023, 03:27:52 PM »
I don't really like the idea of the university directly determining the value of the athletes. Either make it a stipend that everyone gets or leave the payments to the boosters. I also think that student fees going to athletics should be illegal and that 10% of all athletic revenue should go back to a general scholarship fund for the student body.

Calling Doug Compton, calling Doug Compton....