Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4136457 times)

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #34800 on: December 19, 2022, 10:43:07 AM »
Do we still get the auto-invite after beating Bama next week or does this supersede that?

We will still be invited, but this will prevent us from being able to accept the invitation. Honestly, I'm not sure if we would want to go to the SEC, anyway. Now that Alabama is on the decline, the whole conference will follow.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34801 on: December 19, 2022, 11:04:49 AM »
What it's saying is that "only" the board chair, vice chair, and board president need to approve the start of negotiations to change conferences or actually change conferences. 

However, a board member can call for a full board discussion. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34802 on: December 19, 2022, 11:07:55 AM »
I’m not reading that, dumb it down for me dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the SEC calls us after our upcoming 2nd Decade of Dominance is complete we have to get Board of Regents approval before we can begin discussions with them.  Gives the BOR veto power if we can't negotiate a suitable landing place for little brother. 

This prevents a UCLA situation where their BOR probably didn't want to let them go to Big 10 but papers had already been signed so they couldn't really get out of it.  In our case now KU\KSU and technically the other BOR schools would need permission to even have discussions with another league.
The real question is whether this means those discussions will essentially be in the public domain before any deal is signed. Seems like it would make both Kansas schools less attractive to other conferences.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34803 on: December 19, 2022, 08:29:57 PM »
This is ancient news on the internet time scale, but yeah, I'm not pleased about it.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34804 on: December 19, 2022, 10:56:25 PM »
This is ancient news on the internet time scale, but yeah, I'm not pleased about it.

Just because Phogistan has been venting their  :lol: :lol: :lol: paranoia about the Kansas Regents involvement doesn't make what I posted about a very recent amendment to KBOR board procedure ancient news.

Only extreme derps believe that the regents are just going to allow schools to change athletic conferences without their consent. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34805 on: December 20, 2022, 12:38:21 AM »

Just because Phogistan has been venting their  :lol: :lol: :lol: paranoia about the Kansas Regents involvement doesn't make what I posted about a very recent amendment to KBOR board procedure ancient news.

Only extreme derps believe that the regents are just going to allow schools to change athletic conferences without their consent.

KU now needs the approval of Karl frickin' Ice and a Baylor grad in order to get permission to negotiate with another conference. That blows.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #34806 on: December 20, 2022, 08:11:15 AM »

KU now needs the approval of Karl frickin' Ice and a Baylor grad in order to get permission to negotiate with another conference. That blows.
Be thankful for the excuse.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34807 on: December 20, 2022, 09:39:03 AM »

Be thankful for the excuse.
true

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34808 on: December 20, 2022, 10:40:02 AM »

I will admit, that since Girod has referenced about 18 different funding sources in order to get that stadium  reno done, including ARPA funds, sponging off the City of Lawrence and trying to wrap this whole thing up into a local economic development package.  You guys probably do need to get to a conference that offers a larger teat to suckle off of . . .

It's got to be kind of embarrassing watching K-State fund $350 million in facilities projects entirely in-house at this point.   :kstategrad:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34809 on: December 20, 2022, 10:54:35 AM »

I will admit, that since Girod has referenced about 18 different funding sources in order to get that stadium  reno done, including ARPA funds, sponging off the City of Lawrence and trying to wrap this whole thing up into a local economic development package.  You guys probably do need to get to a conference that offers a larger teat to suckle off of . . .

It's got to be kind of embarrassing watching K-State fund $350 million in facilities projects entirely in-house at this point.   :kstategrad:

low capital improvements expenditure IQ guy over here but when i was a kid on Easter Sunday if I just absolutely dominated my little brother and found all but a couple of the eggs my mom would always make me give some of those eggs to him, in some cases they would even re-hide the eggs and he would get his own private Easter egg hunt out of pity. Are there any such mechanisms in place for the universities in the state of Kansas?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34810 on: December 20, 2022, 11:40:58 AM »
Imagine thinking the Kansas BOR is the reason you won’t be able to join a better conference.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34811 on: December 20, 2022, 12:30:03 PM »

low capital improvements expenditure IQ guy over here but when i was a kid on Easter Sunday if I just absolutely dominated my little brother and found all but a couple of the eggs my mom would always make me give some of those eggs to him, in some cases they would even re-hide the eggs and he would get his own private Easter egg hunt out of pity. Are there any such mechanisms in place for the universities in the state of Kansas?

Disclaimer:  I am fully TSC when it comes to the actual athletic participation itself

That said, on one hand you have K-State.  K-State athletics receives no direct institutional support.   On the other hand,  KU athletics is still getting over a million dollars a year from Strong Hall aka Direct Institutional Support.   

K-State athletics funds and finances its facilities improvements entirely in house and pays for any debt service out of its own budget. 

KU athletics enters into shady 50 year lease deals with local developers and now apparently is going to try to wrap a boutique level "economic impact" project paid for in whole or in part with taxpayer largess in order to get a football stadium renovation.  They're going to toss in a medical clinic for patrons of a densely populated urban center that has multiple other medical facilities within close proximity . . . a good PR cover here, I'll give them credit for that.

Meanwhile K-State is going to use American Recovery funds to build academic and research facilities which will serve the whole of Kansas, Kansas' largest and most important industry and in turn the whole of humanity. 

K-State - for Kansas, for the world and for all of mankind.  :thumbsup:

KU . . . for themselves  :frown:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34812 on: December 20, 2022, 01:40:28 PM »
Oh yes, the Rock Chalk Park boondoggle negotiated and surreptitiously extended by one Papa Zenger, aka the Mole.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34813 on: December 20, 2022, 02:39:56 PM »
K-State's reach is ubiquitous and omnipresent

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34814 on: December 20, 2022, 03:07:56 PM »
Oh yes, the Rock Chalk Park boondoggle negotiated and surreptitiously extended by one Papa Zenger, aka the Mole.

Grifters always fleece best when the marks are corrupt
 rubes looking for to an easy score.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34815 on: December 30, 2022, 05:57:44 PM »
Kevin Warren interviewed in person for the Chicago Bears  President and is the leading candidate for the position.  Big Ten will need a new commissioner and may have different addenda than Warren.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34816 on: December 30, 2022, 06:59:20 PM »
Kevin Warren interviewed in person for the Chicago Bears  President and is the leading candidate for the position.  Big Ten will need a new commissioner and may have different addenda than Warren.

That's probably a safe bet, because that seems like a "I just want out" type of job move.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34817 on: December 31, 2022, 01:33:54 AM »

That's probably a safe bet, because that seems like a "I just want out" type of job move.

I bet he's taking a lot of crap for wanting to expand the conference.  Seems OSU AD and others don't want this crap to happen.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34818 on: January 01, 2023, 01:14:04 PM »
i saw one of the michigan fans arguing that refs should be employed by the ncaa and not conferences, which is something i hasn’t thought of before.  i think the b12 basketball refs are terrible, but never had much issue with the football guys.  this is most definitely due to my direct knowledge of each sport.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34819 on: January 01, 2023, 01:15:46 PM »
i saw one of the michigan fans arguing that refs should be employed by the ncaa and not conferences, which is something i hasn’t thought of before.  i think the b12 basketball refs are terrible, but never had much issue with the football guys.  this is most definitely due to my direct knowledge of each sport.
Pretty sure the basketball refs work for any conference they want

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34820 on: January 01, 2023, 01:29:32 PM »
there are those who work multiple. the point is, is having conference affiliated referees the best way to do things?  i don’t know if changing who they work for would make the level of officiating any better though.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34821 on: January 01, 2023, 03:21:23 PM »
there are those who work multiple. the point is, is having conference affiliated referees the best way to do things?  i don’t know if changing who they work for would make the level of officiating any better though.

Yes, but depends on who they work for.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34822 on: January 01, 2023, 07:18:27 PM »

Ultimately they are enforcing NCAA rules and in all sports other than FBS football, the NCAA there is a national coordinator of officials. I think having conferences supervise the officials as individuals is the best strategy for the ability to better offer direct training and feedback.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34823 on: January 01, 2023, 09:49:29 PM »

Not saying it would solve problems but as a ref I'd like that. I think it'd make it easier for them to stay more regional and potentially work more games in a time frame (if they chose to).

Bouncing from Ames to Lincoln then down to Manhattan and then over to Columbia would be easy for guys based out of KC or Omaha for example, and not worried about needing to head out to Morgantown or down to Lubbock
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile