Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3981133 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33800 on: July 15, 2022, 02:38:24 PM »
We don't need to make any special arrangements for UO & UW.  They won't have jack crap to bargain with if we get the four corner schools.  It would be really stupid to give them a no-exit fee clause or any other incentive beyond what we give every school in the conference.  If we want stability, we need to treat all the schools the same.  We also need a Big XII network since we're getting rid of the rough ridin' prima donnas.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33801 on: July 15, 2022, 02:55:26 PM »
@Shooter Jones I agree with you that if BIG 12 poaches the 4 corners the PAC 12 is effectively done as a conference.

Uh, yeah.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33802 on: July 15, 2022, 05:06:22 PM »
DLew, Let me know if you don’t want your Twitter content posted here. I will delete it. Good stuff though. The short side option podcast is gonna make home field regret them not giving you free gear to promote their product.
https://twitter.com/TSSO_Podcast/status/1548062010486583297?s=20&t=54KpjSFANawkryxRWsJO3Q
https://twitter.com/TSSO_Podcast/status/1548061833570893830?s=20&t=54KpjSFANawkryxRWsJO3Q

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33804 on: July 15, 2022, 08:36:59 PM »
@Shooter Jones I agree with you that if BIG 12 poaches the 4 corners the PAC 12 is effectively done as a conference.

I don't. They could keep the Denver market, I assure you the CSU fan base would be much more engaged than the CU fans are. They'd lose Phoenix and SLC markets but would gain Las Vegas and San Diego. That's a wash.

Those Arizona schools have been so disengaged,  they've a bad fit that's become worse with the two closest schools in their division now gone. I actually have several Phoenix area sports talk shows on my podcast feed, for hockey, and those schools get absolutely no airtime, ever.

I think we take them if they ask, for the illusion of stability. However, I think all but roughly two dozen or so, major college athletic departments are relatively interchangeable, as far as value. I think Clemson is the only program, the last 22 years, that have elevated themselves into that top group.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33805 on: July 15, 2022, 08:42:11 PM »
DLew, Let me know if you don’t want your Twitter content posted here. I will delete it. Good stuff though. The short side option podcast is gonna make home field regret them not giving you free gear to promote their product.
https://twitter.com/TSSO_Podcast/status/1548062010486583297?s=20&t=54KpjSFANawkryxRWsJO3Q
https://twitter.com/TSSO_Podcast/status/1548061833570893830?s=20&t=54KpjSFANawkryxRWsJO3Q

Not that it hasn't been pointed out since the conference had to take games being moved to ESPN+, but my God ESPN is on some absolute bullshit.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #33806 on: July 15, 2022, 10:23:00 PM »
Don’t post that here!

Kidding - post it wherever you want!  Claim it as your own, for all I care.  I just lifted it from some ratings website and rearranged it slightly.

Interesting stuff though.  I might go back into past years and look at those eventually too.  Data runs back to 2012 I think.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33807 on: July 15, 2022, 11:50:03 PM »
2012 would be interesting.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33808 on: July 16, 2022, 09:45:38 AM »

seriously USC and UCLA to the Big 10 is by far the dumbest move of all of this, right? I'm trying to think if anything has been close to that silly.

Yes and no. Financially, the Big 10 deal will be almost double of what the Pac 12 would have been with them, probably 40%, so that's a lot of money they can't turn down.

However, since the proliferation of huge money in college sports, I think there is only so much these athletic departments can do with the money. All of these athletic departments can afford all the scholarships they're allowed, they can all pay coaches what they want and constantly build and renovate facilities. We've absolutely gotten to the point where this money stuff is only about keeping up with the Joneses. What good is having all that money when you don't have regional rivals and your non football athletes have to spend all that time on airplanes and missing class, an even further degradation of the student athlete experience.

I also think that these deals are going to start to have a chilling effect on donations, especially for USC and UCLA. They are stripping the emotion out of college sports, and that's what it's supposed to be all about, because it certainly isn't the actual on field/court/ice product.

I mean USC just hired OU's coach before any of this went down. To your point, where's that extra money going?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33809 on: July 16, 2022, 10:41:07 AM »
Probably to continue subsidizing the non revenue sports
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33810 on: July 17, 2022, 07:09:19 AM »
I think we may be shooting for the 70-80 range with the addition of the 6 PAC schools.  That may not match what the big 2 are getting, but it's enough to keep all the Big XII schools competitive.

Edit:  CBS has stated they will outbid anything ESPN offers.  They want a piece of the pie  It would be great to be on CBS, CBS Sports, and Paramount.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 01:01:09 PM by Katpappy »

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33811 on: July 17, 2022, 01:59:07 PM »
I think we may be shooting for the 70-80 range with the addition of the 6 PAC schools.  That may not match what the big 2 are getting, but it's enough to keep all the Big XII schools competitive.

Edit:  CBS has stated they will outbid anything ESPN offers.  They want a piece of the pie  It would be great to be on CBS, CBS Sports, and Paramount.

There isn't a single school or group of schools not named not named notre dame that is going to add what amount to $320 million a year to any television deal. That 70-80 is 20 million more than projected, 20X16 schools equals $320 million a year. There's no chance of that happening.

I'd also curb your enthusiasm about the CBS thing. That hasn't come from any credible source at all. In fact the most credible sourcing I have seen, oscar Feldman, said they are pursuing Big 10 and Pac 10, those deals are up first. They literally didn't even attempt to outbid ESPN for the SEC rights, a product they have had since 1996. They dipped out when the valuation came back. Now they might get and very much value the Big 12 partnership, they'll get significantly more inventory at a lower cost, but there's a long way between here and there.

Also fans will be complain about CBS from the start, we'll have to have lots of weird kick times, because they only have two linear channels, they'll be a lot of games on Paramount+ and the first two weeks of every season will have to take a back seat to the US Open. The last thing isn't as noticeable with the SEC because it's only one game a week, and they have the partnership with ESPN, but if we had them exclusively, people would flip their crap with the first two weeks of the season completely streamed.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33812 on: July 17, 2022, 03:30:21 PM »
Then it’s up to our new commish to put out an RFP/RFQ that properly meets the needs of the conference.  Tier 1 linear, tier 2 linear and streaming.  IMO he needs to force bidding between collectives.

That said. 

In very short order it will be time for Brent to put up or shut up on that alleged contacts list which allegedly landed him the job.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #33813 on: July 17, 2022, 06:16:22 PM »
First thing to do in a negotiation is tell the other party you'll pay more than anyone else
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33814 on: July 17, 2022, 06:44:20 PM »
That’s not what I’m saying or even Implying if that was directed at me.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33815 on: July 17, 2022, 07:40:18 PM »
They will out bit ESPN for the Big XII network, said by Dennis Dodd last week on the CBS pod broadcast.  Also those network projections did not include the six PAC schools.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33816 on: July 17, 2022, 08:05:20 PM »
This podcast lists the top 20 schools outside the big 2.  BTY, 13 would be in the expanded Big XII.                                   

https://youtu.be/XuXF08KeSBk

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33817 on: July 17, 2022, 10:09:06 PM »
They will out bit ESPN for the Big XII network, said by Dennis Dodd last week on the CBS pod broadcast.  Also those network projections did not include the six PAC schools.

If Dennis Dodd said that, it's one of the dumbest things said about this round of expansion. There's not going to be a Big 12 Network, that will be bid on, that's not how it works. Whoever wins the rights will determine if they will create a digital Big 12 Network, there will be no linear Big 12 Network.

Also CBS Sports does not have unilateral approval to make whatever bid they want. I just happen to be listening to another podcast today, about 30 minutes after my last post, it wasn't about Big 12 media rights. They were discussing CBS/Paramount's finances. James Andrew Miller, who actually has business media contracts, said CBS has to get any bid for the Big 10 approved by the board and of Tony Romo's contact was up now, as opposed to last year, his new contract wouldn't have been approved.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33818 on: July 18, 2022, 09:52:41 AM »

There isn't a single school or group of schools not named not named notre dame that is going to add what amount to $320 million a year to any television deal. That 70-80 is 20 million more than projected, 20X16 schools equals $320 million a year. There's no chance of that happening.

I'd also curb your enthusiasm about the CBS thing. That hasn't come from any credible source at all. In fact the most credible sourcing I have seen, oscar Feldman, said they are pursuing Big 10 and Pac 10, those deals are up first. They literally didn't even attempt to outbid ESPN for the SEC rights, a product they have had since 1996. They dipped out when the valuation came back. Now they might get and very much value the Big 12 partnership, they'll get significantly more inventory at a lower cost, but there's a long way between here and there.

Also fans will be complain about CBS from the start, we'll have to have lots of weird kick times, because they only have two linear channels, they'll be a lot of games on Paramount+ and the first two weeks of every season will have to take a back seat to the US Open. The last thing isn't as noticeable with the SEC because it's only one game a week, and they have the partnership with ESPN, but if we had them exclusively, people would flip their crap with the first two weeks of the season completely streamed.

The most attractive thing about CBS is that I wouldn't need cable to watch any of our games. I'm fine with streaming games on Paramount+.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33819 on: July 18, 2022, 10:38:16 AM »

If Dennis Dodd said that, it's one of the dumbest things said about this round of expansion. There's not going to be a Big 12 Network, that will be bid on, that's not how it works. Whoever wins the rights will determine if they will create a digital Big 12 Network, there will be no linear Big 12 Network.

Also CBS Sports does not have unilateral approval to make whatever bid they want. I just happen to be listening to another podcast today, about 30 minutes after my last post, it wasn't about Big 12 media rights. They were discussing CBS/Paramount's finances. James Andrew Miller, who actually has business media contracts, said CBS has to get any bid for the Big 10 approved by the board and of Tony Romo's contact was up now, as opposed to last year, his new contract wouldn't have been approved.

I think he is referring to the bundled Teir 3 rights everyone but UT and OU did for broadcast on ESPN+. I haven't seen whether we plan to still keep one game for each school out of the TV package sine we don't have to accomodate the LHN anymore.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33820 on: July 18, 2022, 11:01:42 AM »
CBS cannot afford to sit on the sidelines and despite the best efforts of some personalities on ESPN and elsewhere to continue to paint the Big 12 as the dead man walking, I still 1000% believe it is the PAC that is the burned out ship adrift at sea.

The absolute best move would be for the PAC and Big 12 to merge.  It creates an immediate wall over the Western half of the country, gives PAC schools exposure into every time zone, and puts their product in front of collectively more engaged fan bases. 

If the projected TV numbers are even remotely close that entirely list of PAC schools with the exception of maybe Oregon would take that level of money all day long and twice on Sunday.  I even think Oregon bringing high value to the BiG is very debatable. 

At some point I want to believe that at some schools the opportunity to actually win something . . . still actually means something.  As I've said before, the list of schools who will reserve their biggest celebration for when the conference check arrives every year just keeps getting longer and longer, and that includes some pretty big names. 

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33821 on: July 18, 2022, 11:05:27 AM »
If by merge you mean the best 6 remaining non Stanford P12 schools get absorbed and branded as a new Big 12 I completely agree
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #33822 on: July 18, 2022, 11:25:37 AM »
If by merge you mean the best 6 remaining non Stanford P12 schools get absorbed and branded as a new Big 12 I completely agree
It's really kind of a dumb bonus, but having 12 states in the conference works with the name. Saw that in this thread or Twitter, don't remember.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33823 on: July 18, 2022, 11:57:49 AM »
It's really kind of a dumb bonus, but having 12 states in the conference works with the name. Saw that in this thread or Twitter, don't remember.

Yes, that would be great.  We could keep the Big XII name and make it clear that it refers to our large area of coverage.  This would hit home about the size and variety of the conference.  From the Space Needle to Disney World.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33824 on: July 18, 2022, 12:08:28 PM »
The absolute best move would be for the PAC and Big 12 to merge.  It creates an immediate wall over the Western half of the country, gives PAC schools exposure into every time zone, and puts their product in front of collectively more engaged fan bases. 

I have no idea how it would work, but for nostalgia, I think adding the 4 corners and Oregon/Washington could lead to 3 - 6 team divisions that would be fun. A division of Colorado, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State would make me want to get a bigfoot pizza from pizza hut to get a free Big 8 team hat or paper jacket.

West: Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU.
Central: Colorado, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State.
East?/Schools that have never really fit in and if they don't like it they can leave: Baylor, Houston, TCU, UCF, Cincy, WVU.

2 division winners with best record in football conference champ game? 17, or HELL, 22 game conference basketball schedule???