Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4069672 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33750 on: July 14, 2022, 12:38:55 PM »
To me, using a signing bonus to help lure Washington and Oregon is the interesting suggestion there. I'm personally not that interested in the maximizing profit or seeking retribution aspects.

To what end?  Isn’t getting them to join about maximizing revenue?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33751 on: July 14, 2022, 01:05:15 PM »
Yeah, I just don't care about playing Washington and Oregon all that much. To the extent that we might need one to maintain P5 status, it might make sense, but I'm not sure how much longer P5 is even going to be a thing.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33752 on: July 14, 2022, 01:08:30 PM »
To me, using a signing bonus to help lure Washington and Oregon is the interesting suggestion there. I'm personally not that interested in the maximizing profit or seeking retribution aspects.

My understanding is that the Big 12 would add the 4 corner schools even though doing so doesn't in itself increase tv revenue. It's more about prestige, clout, and stability.

K-State in particular should be concerned with conference stability. We're probably completely screwed without the Big 12.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33753 on: July 14, 2022, 01:36:21 PM »

My understanding is that the Big 12 would add the 4 corner schools even though doing so doesn't in itself increase tv revenue. It's more about prestige, clout, and stability.

K-State in particular should be concerned with conference stability. We're probably completely screwed without the Big 12.

Exactly this. Regarding Yormark, I think he’s gonna be a mover and a shaker. What’s important is how he moves and shakes. I fear that he may be more likely to pursue quick fixes and short-term gain rather than long-term stability, which is what KSU and the rest of the B12 desperately need.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33754 on: July 14, 2022, 02:41:40 PM »

Fit matters. The four corner schools fit the conference profile a lot more. I also think with the PNW schools you're just sitting around waiting for them to bounce every time someone has a media deal expiring.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33756 on: July 14, 2022, 03:37:17 PM »
The remaining Big12 needs to split up the full OU and TX penalties between us, funnel them to boosters through bullshit consulting contracts, then use them to NIL the faces off of a crap ton of baller recruits to dominate the next 4-5 years of Football and BB.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33757 on: July 14, 2022, 03:55:56 PM »
https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/14/power-5-desirability-rankings-sec-big-ten-acc
K-State at #58
:don'tcare:

hawks were last, so, no wonder big 10 is practically got them on speed dial
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33759 on: July 14, 2022, 04:01:31 PM »
Meh, the three metrics that actually matter have us firmly in any 4x16 conference scenario.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33760 on: July 14, 2022, 04:03:02 PM »
https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/14/power-5-desirability-rankings-sec-big-ten-acc
K-State at #58
:don'tcare:
And yet still ahead of Illinois. Kind of odd.

Not odd at all, their football program is horrible and has for a long time. That's going to kill them in three to four of those ratings.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33761 on: July 14, 2022, 04:26:32 PM »
I feel like all the ESPN+ and FS1 games are kind of hurting us in the TV ratings metric

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33762 on: July 14, 2022, 04:28:57 PM »
Yep

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33763 on: July 14, 2022, 07:18:34 PM »
I feel like all the ESPN+ and FS1 games are kind of hurting us in the TV ratings metric

Especially top-25 matchups.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33764 on: July 14, 2022, 07:26:33 PM »
Yet, nobody talks about the business reasons driving ESPN to put our and other games that get good viewership (in relative terms) on ESPN plus.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33765 on: July 14, 2022, 08:33:44 PM »

yeah would love to see the amount of games the top 25 teams in viewership play on national tv; as opposed to the bottom 25 on regional/streaming.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33766 on: July 14, 2022, 08:38:43 PM »
I'm petty AF about this, but if the PAC12 implodes I'd love to tell Colorado to get F'd.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #33767 on: July 14, 2022, 09:01:37 PM »
P12 After Dark is nuts.  Out of the 50 9:30 or later games on ESPN since 2017- not counting 2020 - 47 of them had over a million viewers.  The two teams featured the most in that ESPN time slot? Arizona and Washington State.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33768 on: July 14, 2022, 09:02:54 PM »
I'm petty AF about this, but if the PAC12 implodes I'd love to tell Colorado to get F'd.

I respect that!

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33769 on: July 14, 2022, 09:28:23 PM »
P12 After Dark is nuts.  Out of the 50 9:30 or later games on ESPN since 2017- not counting 2020 - 47 of them had over a million viewers.  The two teams featured the most in that ESPN time slot? Arizona and Washington State.

FD can't talk hot potatoes as he falls asleep w/o it
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33770 on: July 14, 2022, 09:34:24 PM »

Bars and boozehounds, baby.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33771 on: July 14, 2022, 10:06:10 PM »
I only watch P12 after dark when KSU is good at football, so I plan on watching shitloads this year

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #33772 on: July 14, 2022, 11:58:15 PM »
Late night games will be even more popular as more states open up sports gambling.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #33773 on: July 15, 2022, 08:39:57 AM »
Late night games will be even more popular as more states open up sports gambling.
Good point

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33774 on: July 15, 2022, 08:43:24 AM »
I'm probably wrong, but I think people need to stop saying the B12 needs to find long term "stability". I say that, knowing as long as the SEC and Big 10 are projected to make 30, 40, 50 million more than B12/ACC/PAC schools, we will never truly have "stability" and one of those two could blow up the landscape whenever the hell they want. Especially knowing they still have moves to make.

We need to squeeze every damn dollar out of OU and Texas, and maximize every dollar opportunity each year to sustain a conference long term. Not exactly in a "stable" strategy. 

I think the 4 corners schools AND Washington/Oregon would be best right now, with no buyout negotiations or signing bonuses. Even knowing Washington/Oregon will most likely take off to the Big 10 soon, we can maximize a TV deal NOW, and then get the exit fees for them then. Use them for added revenue in a new deal, and get money for them when they leave, right?