Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4069804 times)

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33400 on: July 01, 2022, 04:00:05 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the whole sec and big10 only championship thing plays out. They’ll turn off and alienate a decent amount of fans in general if they do. Like, if my school has an absolute zero percent chance at competing for something, I’m not really interested in it. Iowa state fans are nuts about mens wrestling for gods sake because they have a wrestling team. Kstate doesn’t so zero kstate fans care about it. If you take three conferences and completely cut them out, you’re long term losing a lot of those fans and ultimately eyeballs becasue they’ll be interested in whatever the eff it is that they are doing. They won’t just magically say “sec and big is better so I’ll totally watch them”.

They aren't far from doing that now.  I'm so desperate for football that I watch USFL games, but I have no interest in watching the the CFB playoff unless there's a NuB12 team or some other underdog.  As soon as Cincy was out last year I didn't watch another minute. 

The NFL works well because of parity and keeping everyone engaged which is one reason why their TV ratings keep going up and CFB keeps going down.  From Forbes:

KEY BACKGROUND
College football pales in comparison to the NFL in terms of viewership, a gap worsened by the pandemic. CBS and Fox averaged 21.6 million and 23.1 million viewers, respectively, for their primary national NFL broadcasts during the 2021 regular seasons, while NFL viewership overall was at its highest level since 2015, up 10% from 2020, per Sports Business Journal. Television ratings for professional sports struggled during 2020 and early 2021, but have recovered strongly. College football has struggled more than the NFL in regaining viewership, potentially due to the fallout from a pandemic-altered 2020 season and more gambling interest in the NFL.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR
Whether the College Football Playoff changes its four-team format. College Football Playoff leadership met Monday to discuss expanding the field to eight or 12 teams, though an agreement was not reached.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33401 on: July 01, 2022, 04:44:06 PM »
this thread is officially 1337

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33402 on: July 01, 2022, 05:12:34 PM »
I would think Miami/FSU gets into the SEC as well

Not unless Florida gets a severed horse head in its bed.

A&M just got one.  Those two programs aren’t going to be on the outside looking in, no way.

Buddy. A&M got heismaned for the richest athletic department in college athletics. Florida State and especially Miami are FAR from Texas. Adding Texas doesn't dilute the perceived value of A&M. Adding Florida State and Miami to UF would be like adding A&M and TCU when you already have Texas.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33403 on: July 01, 2022, 05:14:44 PM »
Reasons I'd add teams:

Better chance of getting a conference team in the playoffs if we're the clear #3 conference.

My working assumption is that there will be no playoff slots available for teams outside of the BIG and SEC. 

I don't think the push to expand the playoff is going to lose any momentum. And if there is some team with a relatively great record from a #3 conference, I don't think they'd be excluded.

Of course the playoff will include conferences outside of the SEC and Big 10. A playoff with the other conferences will make more money for the Big 10 and SEC because it will draw more eyes.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33404 on: July 01, 2022, 05:24:37 PM »

A&M just got one.  Those two programs aren’t going to be on the outside looking in, no way.

Buddy. A&M got heismaned for the richest athletic department in college athletics. Florida State and especially Miami are FAR from Texas. Adding Texas doesn't dilute the perceived value of A&M. Adding Florida State and Miami to UF would be like adding A&M and TCU when you already have Texas.

Just can’t see two programs with multiple national titles sitting around holding their dick after the dust settles.  Especially Florida State. Will be interesting to see how the desirable ACC schools try to collapse the ACC to reduce the GOR hit.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33405 on: July 01, 2022, 05:29:03 PM »
You have to believe that Stanford and Cal are pulling every string they can to get their ass in the Big Ten. They had to hold her nose when the pac added Arizona and Arizona State and Utah and Colorado, I can imagine how they feel about San Diego State Boise State UNLV and Colorado state.

I could see them petitioning to join the Ivy League, actually.

There's a less than zero percent chance of that happening. Stanford likely has an athletic budget as big as the entire Ivy League. They may not be as sexy of a television draw but they've been a top 5 athletic department, in the country, for our entire lifetimes.

Top 5?

Try undisputed #1...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACDA_Directors'_Cup#NCAA_Division_I

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33406 on: July 01, 2022, 06:18:34 PM »
You have to believe that Stanford and Cal are pulling every string they can to get their ass in the Big Ten. They had to hold her nose when the pac added Arizona and Arizona State and Utah and Colorado, I can imagine how they feel about San Diego State Boise State UNLV and Colorado state.

I could see them petitioning to join the Ivy League, actually.

There's a less than zero percent chance of that happening. Stanford likely has an athletic budget as big as the entire Ivy League. They may not be as sexy of a television draw but they've been a top 5 athletic department, in the country, for our entire lifetimes.

Top 5?

Try undisputed #1...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACDA_Directors'_Cup#NCAA_Division_I

Amazing how good Stanford has been at athletics

131 National Championships  and 539 individual championships

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33407 on: July 01, 2022, 07:01:30 PM »
Reasons I'd add teams:

Better chance of getting a conference team in the playoffs if we're the clear #3 conference. Like daris said, it's more fun to watch college football playoffs if there is more of a connection with it.

I just like the look of the conference with UA, ASU, UU, CU better than without.

I've never understood blindly chasing money, but it's ultimately the name of the game here. And I'd rather kill than be killed.

In that case just merge the two conferences

Yeah, something like this works for me, too.

https://twitter.com/dustinp_/status/1542937131445850113

I’m all for it. Would be awesome to follow imo.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33408 on: July 01, 2022, 08:25:22 PM »

Just can’t see two programs with multiple national titles sitting around holding their dick after the dust settles.  Especially Florida State. Will be interesting to see how the desirable ACC schools try to collapse the ACC to reduce the GOR hit.

I don't think they'll be holding their dicks, I just think they aren't the best of the best, Miami is much closer to being Boston College when that GOR is finished, than they are to being Tennessee. If they don't win the national championship again before the GOR is up, that will be 35 years since their national championship. To put that in perspective, Minnesota and Syracuse were the national champions 34 & 35 years before the Big 12 was formed in 1995.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #33409 on: July 01, 2022, 09:25:38 PM »
Laugh out rough ridin' loud. This guy dropping a bomb of freshness on us just like that.

https://twitter.com/RyanDennisWX/status/1542704966963437571?t=uucOz9b13JX56uhnMUXngA&s=19
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33411 on: July 02, 2022, 12:13:52 AM »
Lol @ the last two posts

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33412 on: July 02, 2022, 10:10:47 AM »
How is it 2022 and people still think that the product on the field matters any in this? JFC it’s only about market size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33413 on: July 02, 2022, 02:47:54 PM »
How is it 2022 and people still think that the product on the field matters any in this? JFC it’s only about market size.

Has OKC grown?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33414 on: July 02, 2022, 02:59:32 PM »

Has OKC grown?

Maybe he meant "size" as in square miles.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33415 on: July 02, 2022, 05:42:27 PM »

Has OKC grown?
Obviously there are a few exceptions and some teams have a ‘brand.’

Which leads back to poor KU…those people think they have a ‘brand’ (they don’t)

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33416 on: July 02, 2022, 06:13:13 PM »

Has OKC grown?

Maybe he meant "size" as in square miles.
Must be. Phoenix, San Francisco and Seattle are all pretty significant markets if we're talking about population.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33417 on: July 02, 2022, 08:25:22 PM »
Market size is only a factor in specific cases and even then, it's not just the market, but the ability to have distribution within those markets.

Schools in Washington DC and New York City were added to the Big 10, not because of the schools but because of the added potential value to the distribution to the Big 10 Network. This only worked because that network was actually able to get wide distribution in those areas. The California schools, also in huge markets, didn't have that same value to the PAC 12 because their network has no distribution, people in Southern California, the Bay Area, Phoenix, Seattle, etc. can't see the damn network, yes some can, but enough can't that it was a big problem.

Texas sits in the 4th biggest media market in the state of Texas.
Ohio State is in the 3rd largest market in Ohio
Alabama is in the 5th largest market in Alabama.

etc etc etc

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33418 on: July 02, 2022, 10:52:38 PM »
If we can get the western schools (CU, Utah, Zona, ASU), what is the point of keeping WVU, Cincy and lol UCF? Building west seems better.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33419 on: July 03, 2022, 03:03:14 AM »
This is about the stupidest post I read today.  :facepalm:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33420 on: July 03, 2022, 09:26:48 AM »
If we can get the western schools (CU, Utah, Zona, ASU), what is the point of keeping WVU, Cincy and lol UCF? Building west seems better.

I’m an advocate of taking anyone in the PAC we can, dealing with a too large conference for 5-7 years, then when the ACC gets cut apart we shake hands with those 3, don’t charge them an exit fee & let them rejoin their old BigEast rivals in Cuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville & the rest of the ACC leftovers.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33421 on: July 03, 2022, 09:38:56 AM »

I’m an advocate of taking anyone in the PAC we can, dealing with a too large conference for 5-7 years, then when the ACC gets cut apart we shake hands with those 3, don’t charge them an exit fee & let them rejoin their old BigEast rivals in Cuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville & the rest of the ACC leftovers.

Given what has happened over the last 12 years and what will likely continue to happen I am all for stockpiling a few extra quality teams.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33422 on: July 03, 2022, 09:53:47 AM »

Given what has happened over the last 12 years and what will likely continue to happen I am all for stockpiling a few extra quality teams.

When is broke a couple days ago & I started having this opinion, I had a lot more confidence that Oregon, Washington, Stanford & Cal were going to follow. Now I’m a lot less confident in that. I don’t think Cal & Stanford will stomach joining the Big12 either. If that leaves 8 in PAC left out of the BigTen, I’m a lot less bullish in the changes of the 4-corner schools leaving than even guys like Wilner & Canzano.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33423 on: July 03, 2022, 10:34:12 AM »

When is broke a couple days ago & I started having this opinion, I had a lot more confidence that Oregon, Washington, Stanford & Cal were going to follow. Now I’m a lot less confident in that. I don’t think Cal & Stanford will stomach joining the Big12 either. If that leaves 8 in PAC left out of the BigTen, I’m a lot less bullish in the changes of the 4-corner schools leaving than even guys like Wilner & Canzano.

ND is the next domino in this never-ending saga.  If they jump then Oregon, Washington and 1 other (I think Stanford) will jump.  At that point, we get to pick who we send life rafts to of the remaining Pac , they won't be viable after that.  If the Big 10 announces their new media deal before ND jumps then I think everything stands as is today until the next round to TV contracts are done (i.e. 10ish years from now)

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33424 on: July 03, 2022, 10:43:16 AM »
https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-pac-12-gut-punch-comes-with?sd=pf

Lots of quotes from former Fox Sports exec in this one.