Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4060328 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33350 on: July 01, 2022, 11:59:01 AM »
"Wait, what does this mean? Are you thinking about Putin?"

Now I feel kind of bad, Spracne normally does such a good job at avoiding sounding desperate.

How about Putin deez nutz on your face? (It was a joke setup, but I'll be more mindful going forward.)

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33351 on: July 01, 2022, 12:23:08 PM »

Now I feel kind of bad, Spracne normally does such a good job at avoiding sounding desperate.

How about Putin deez nutz on your face? (It was a joke setup, but I'll be more mindful going forward.)
C’mon Spax. Nobody’s gonna fall for that tired old joke.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33352 on: July 01, 2022, 12:27:23 PM »

C’mon Spax. Nobody’s gonna fall for that tired old joke.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33353 on: July 01, 2022, 12:41:14 PM »
Possible next steps:

1.  No other teams leave the PAC - In this case, I think they go the Big 12 route and don't add anyone.  They take advantage of dividing the pie 10 ways instead of 12 and limp along like we did until the next shoe drops.  The big difference between when we decided not to expand and them is that we had a much longer run-way to the end of our TV contract and just had to convince TV to honor the contract, not negotiate a new deal.   If USC\UCLA are as valuable as UT\OU was to our contract I think their new deal they are getting ready to negotiate will suck balls and even with the less mouths to feed bonus. 
Chance of happening 20%

2.  Other members leave - I think this would happen in two steps and might lead to the end of the PAC
Chance of happening 80%

2A. B10 takes a few (1 - 3) more.  Assume the B10 stays with their pretentious AAU  BS requirement which means they are picking from a pool of Oregon, Washington Stanford, Cal, Utah and Colorado.  Oregon and Washington might move the $ needle enough to get an invite and maybe Stanford to pair with ND (have read several things that say ND can buy their way out of the ACC agreement at a reasonable amount).  I think Cal, Buffs and Utah are in the KU bucket of "hey hey we have AAU look at me" crowd but without basketball, so they will be left behind. 
Chance of 2 going to Big10 60%
Chance of 3 going to Big 10 20%

2B. Remaining PAC schools look for a home. The remaining teams after 2A happens are: Stanford (maybe), Cal, CU, Utah, AU, ASU, the other, other OSU and WSU. Their only options at that point are the Big 12 or take a major step down into MWC or some bastardized version of the PAC+MWC type teams.  This gives the Big12 lots of options.  The question will be which of those teams increases the TV contract per team (if any). 
If we get to step 2B:
Chance they add SDSU, Blue field st and pray: 60%
Chance  4 bolt to Big 12: 40%

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33354 on: July 01, 2022, 12:44:13 PM »
Seems kinda inevitable given the direction things are going.

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1542691248590430210

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33355 on: July 01, 2022, 12:45:45 PM »
at least we get to enjoy our grcoat before it all burns down

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33356 on: July 01, 2022, 12:46:51 PM »
I can see that, and the two driving this already need to purge a bunch of rear teaters. 

The biggest event a whole host of schools have every year in both conferences, at least from a major sports perspective is the presentation of their conference distribution check.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33357 on: July 01, 2022, 12:48:19 PM »
New spitballing:  The New Big 12 will have the most members of the 3 remaining power conferences when this is all done.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33358 on: July 01, 2022, 12:57:24 PM »
Looking at the big picture we could absolutely destroy the PAC and ACC if we play our cards right.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #33360 on: July 01, 2022, 01:10:33 PM »
Looking at the big picture we could absolutely destroy the PAC and ACC if we play our cards right.
To what end though?  Destroying the PAC and ACC won't help us get into the SEC or BIG.  The right cards for KSU and the Big XII to play (IMO) are to solidify the 2nd tier of college football, which means helping solidify the other conferences left with us.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33361 on: July 01, 2022, 01:14:13 PM »
Lol waiting for ND sounds accurate as hell.

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1542930693205934082

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33362 on: July 01, 2022, 01:19:05 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the whole sec and big10 only championship thing plays out. They’ll turn off and alienate a decent amount of fans in general if they do. Like, if my school has an absolute zero percent chance at competing for something, I’m not really interested in it. Iowa state fans are nuts about mens wrestling for gods sake because they have a wrestling team. Kstate doesn’t so zero kstate fans care about it. If you take three conferences and completely cut them out, you’re long term losing a lot of those fans and ultimately eyeballs becasue they’ll be interested in whatever the eff it is that they are doing. They won’t just magically say “sec and big is better so I’ll totally watch them”.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33363 on: July 01, 2022, 01:25:12 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the whole sec and big10 only championship thing plays out. They’ll turn off and alienate a decent amount of fans in general if they do. Like, if my school has an absolute zero percent chance at competing for something, I’m not really interested in it. Iowa state fans are nuts about mens wrestling for gods sake because they have a wrestling team. Kstate doesn’t so zero kstate fans care about it. If you take three conferences and completely cut them out, you’re long term losing a lot of those fans and ultimately eyeballs becasue they’ll be interested in whatever the eff it is that they are doing. They won’t just magically say “sec and big is better so I’ll totally watch them”.

Yeah, and if ESPN and Fox aren't carrying our games, why would I keep paying for cable? Seems like this could cost them subscribers as well as viewers.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33366 on: July 01, 2022, 01:41:54 PM »
Long term, we’re mumped. Let’s get weird, add a ton of teams and see how long we can drag it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33367 on: July 01, 2022, 01:52:31 PM »
IDK about "mumped" but we can get a lot more ammo and ride out before w/e the big 10 and SEC's experiment falls apart down the road when it becomes a niche market no one outside of a few places cares about.

I think long long term, this is a high that will be met with a collapsing low from a tv standpoint
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33368 on: July 01, 2022, 01:56:26 PM »
I hope our next tv deal is with Peacock or Amazon. Make us the only college football that cord cutters are able to watch.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33369 on: July 01, 2022, 02:00:31 PM »
You have to believe that Stanford and Cal are pulling every string they can to get their ass in the Big Ten. They had to hold her nose when the pac added Arizona and Arizona State and Utah and Colorado, I can imagine how they feel about San Diego State Boise State UNLV and Colorado state.

I could see them petitioning to join the Ivy League, actually.

There's a less than zero percent chance of that happening. Stanford likely has an athletic budget as big as the entire Ivy League. They may not be as sexy of a television draw but they've been a top 5 athletic department, in the country, for our entire lifetimes.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33370 on: July 01, 2022, 02:04:27 PM »
Agreed.  We need Bezos to bring Pac 12, Big 12, and ACC together for an exclusive Amazon Prime only membership.  The payout to teams rivals big 10 and SEC, and becomes a huge eff you to ESPN and Fox.

Bezos gets the entire college football viewing market, coast to coast.  Multi-billion dollar deal.  Amazon trucks advertise games as well.

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33371 on: July 01, 2022, 02:13:40 PM »
Long term, we’re mumped. Let’s get weird, add a ton of teams and see how long we can drag it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still maintain that if we have regional rivals that I can watch every week on TV, we are in no way mumped. Let Bama and Ohio state duke it out for a title every year, the second tier of football will be fun as hell.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33372 on: July 01, 2022, 02:17:27 PM »
Guys, no one is charge at the Big12. The Big12 isn’t doing anything besides waiting to see if the PAC wants pick off a few of our members.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33373 on: July 01, 2022, 02:19:14 PM »
To what end though?  Destroying the PAC and ACC won't help us get into the SEC or BIG.  The right cards for KSU and the Big XII to play (IMO) are to solidify the 2nd tier of college football, which means helping solidify the other conferences left with us.

Agree with all of this.

I've seen this sentiment on here and on twitter
I didn't get it last summer and I sure as eff don't get it now. The SEC and Big 10 have always been the premier football conferences and college sports has been fine. I haven't looked but I'm certain that those two conferences have won around 70% of the CFB championships of all times. The sport and college sports will continue to be regional sports until we're all dead. I don't get the obsession with what other conferences are doing. I get it if we were being kicked off the rich kids table, we have never been there. Can't we just keep hanging out with our jock buddies, having a good time?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33374 on: July 01, 2022, 02:20:03 PM »
Guys, no one is charge at the Big12. The Big12 isn’t doing anything besides waiting to see if the PAC wants pick off a few of our members.

The commissioner works for the board of governors, bub.