Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4130703 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32400 on: September 02, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »
Since this stuff started, it seems like the excitement level for expansion is generally pretty one sided. The teams joing a new conference are very excited. But the teams already in the conference being expanded are pretty meh about it.

This seems to apply to the Big 12 remnants as well. Most of us would be super stoked about PAC or Big 10 and pretty meh about any teams we could add.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32401 on: September 02, 2021, 11:00:29 AM »
The Big 12 continues to engage in serious discussions about future expansion, with a current preference of adding four new members, sources tell The Athletic.

BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston are the four schools that have been most seriously discussed and are considered the leading contenders, sources said. The Athletic previously reported the Big 12 was seriously considering BYU as a potential addition early on in this process.

https://theathletic.com/news/big-12-expansion-talks-focused-on-byu-ucf-cincinnati-houston-sources/5CZvjXPK0mL1

Nothing too surprising but if leaks are starting to happen it means that the process in moving along.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32402 on: September 02, 2021, 11:14:56 AM »
I've never thought Iowa State was "fun to play". Other than the recent "internet smack talk", I've never thought twice about them. They're an absolute dump!

Yeah, ISU was always an afterthought. Like, they were the school you forgot was in the Big 12. I didn't start caring one bit about Iowa State until other actual marquee names started leaving our conference.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32403 on: September 02, 2021, 11:17:05 AM »
These are the teams I want in the conference.  They all want to grow and complete for CCG & CFP.  They have stadiums comparable to the Big XII stadiums and seam to love FB, unlike the BB goffs to our east.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #32404 on: September 02, 2021, 11:33:04 AM »
The Big 12 continues to engage in serious discussions about future expansion, with a current preference of adding four new members, sources tell The Athletic.

BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston are the four schools that have been most seriously discussed and are considered the leading contenders, sources said. The Athletic previously reported the Big 12 was seriously considering BYU as a potential addition early on in this process.

https://theathletic.com/news/big-12-expansion-talks-focused-on-byu-ucf-cincinnati-houston-sources/5CZvjXPK0mL1

Nothing too surprising but if leaks are starting to happen it means that the process in moving along.
UCF and Cincy are ick other than possibly helping with recruiting in those areas but mehh

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32405 on: September 02, 2021, 11:50:08 AM »
current preference of adding four new members, sources tell The Athletic.

BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston

Definitely expect this because it's what any random idiot would do, which is the route we've always taken.

Those teams are all fine. Just not thrilled that it seems Plan A is to rush into being the new AAC.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32406 on: September 02, 2021, 11:51:42 AM »
https://saturdayblitz.com/2021/08/31/big-12-football-expansion-save-big-east/
This article suggests teams based on a set of criteria.
The criteria is based on is the new school in a state that the Big 12 is not already in
Is a Group of Five top 15 revenue school according to footballscoop.com
Has won eight or more games in a season five-plus times over the past decade
Is a top 50 TV/streaming market
Brings something unique and special to the Big 12

They suggest BYU and San Diego State from the West and UCF and Cincy from the East.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32407 on: September 02, 2021, 12:09:20 PM »

Definitely expect this because it's what any random idiot would do, which is the route we've always taken.

Those teams are all fine. Just not thrilled that it seems Plan A is to rush into being the new AAC.

What other viable plan is there? I actually think this in plan B. Plan A was the Pac and they said no

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32408 on: September 02, 2021, 12:31:13 PM »

What other viable plan is there? I actually think this in plan B. Plan A was the Pac and they said no

Not commit to anything any time soon. Things change.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32409 on: September 02, 2021, 12:35:43 PM »

Dont you have to have at least 10 members to be considered a conference in the NCAA's eyes? I remember reading somewhere that that was the minimum.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32410 on: September 02, 2021, 12:51:07 PM »
Not only would UAB not be fun to play, I have never heard one goddamn person in my entire life say they want to take a trip to Birmingham, Alabama.  Hard pass.

Oh god, I can hear the flurry of activity from dax's keyboard already
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32411 on: September 02, 2021, 12:59:15 PM »
https://atozsports.com/sec/aew-announcer-jim-ross-throws-sec-football-kansas-state/
“I told someone this the other day: You know, I would rather tailgate in The Grove than Kansas State,” said Ross. “And that’s gonna piss off some people at Kansas State. I don’t mean to, but I mean, you got some of these iconic tailgate locations in the Southeastern Conference that I know our fans are going to love.”
:dunno:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 01:04:27 PM by MadCat »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32412 on: September 02, 2021, 01:03:07 PM »

Like waiting to see if Nebraska wants to take a huge financial pay cut to join us?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32413 on: September 02, 2021, 01:07:29 PM »

Like waiting to see if Nebraska wants to take a huge financial pay cut to join us?

Like fallout from other major moves that people speculate about.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32414 on: September 02, 2021, 01:14:30 PM »
Hopefully we are doing everything we can to make sure that we are the same division as KU, OSU, and ISU.

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32415 on: September 02, 2021, 01:18:44 PM »
Big 8 Bros

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32416 on: September 02, 2021, 01:42:32 PM »

This is where I am as well. I'm not opposed anymore to a new B12 with smaller conference members, and I'm actually thinking it may end up being more fun with OU and UT out of the picture. However, I don't see an immediate need to add right now. I feel like a lot of people are trying to make a final decision during the flop instead of waiting for the turn or the river.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32417 on: September 02, 2021, 01:47:12 PM »

Maybe we can lure Michigan to the Big 12 to anchor us

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32418 on: September 02, 2021, 01:51:18 PM »

More like we can do better than Memphis, and instead possibly grab some of the Pac 12 schools in the west if the big 10 grabs Oregon and USC from them. Half the remaining schools after that point DGAF about football or ratings anyways. People keep forgetting that their GOR ends before ours does and that conference is not in a good financial position.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32419 on: September 02, 2021, 01:55:58 PM »

More like we can do better than Memphis, and instead possibly grab some of the Pac 12 schools in the west if the big 10 grabs Oregon and USC from them. Half the remaining schools after that point DGAF about football or ratings anyways. People keep forgetting that their GOR ends before ours does and that conference is not in a good financial position.

Which non  big 10 poached team(s) you want to add?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32420 on: September 02, 2021, 02:10:06 PM »
All of them please
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32421 on: September 02, 2021, 02:12:37 PM »
Big 12 leftovers + PAC 12 leftovers sounds great to me.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32422 on: September 02, 2021, 02:15:22 PM »
https://atozsports.com/sec/aew-announcer-jim-ross-throws-sec-football-kansas-state/
“I told someone this the other day: You know, I would rather tailgate in The Grove than Kansas State,” said Ross. “And that’s gonna piss off some people at Kansas State. I don’t mean to, but I mean, you got some of these iconic tailgate locations in the Southeastern Conference that I know our fans are going to love.”
:dunno:

This dipshit and a lot of OU fans will get tired of those crap holes and miss their conference when they find out they are no better than the Nubs in the BIG.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32423 on: September 02, 2021, 02:16:56 PM »
I'd add Utah, Colorado, and both Arizona schools to start.

I still want to find a way to substitute Boise St for Baylor.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32424 on: September 02, 2021, 02:23:10 PM »
I'd add Utah, Colorado, and both Arizona schools to start.

I still want to find a way to substitute Boise St for Baylor.

The problem(s) with schools is like Buffs were when they went to the PAC 10, as they couldn't wait to get out of the Big XII.  They were rough ridin' broke and sick of the extra money given to TU, NU, ATM & OU.  I don't think a merger of the two conferences would result in one Big happy family.