Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4135847 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32325 on: August 30, 2021, 03:24:17 PM »
CSU would be a great addition. It's a major university in a populated state, located in an elite city. Playing them every year would be a lot of fun.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32326 on: August 30, 2021, 03:36:49 PM »
Why is CSU such a crappy add? They've never seemed to have been a candidate for any true P5 type expansion.

They're basically a KSU clone (not that we are the belle of the ball), in a pretty populated state that's growing at a pretty good clip.

Note: not claiming they are a good add.

If I remember right, their attendance and fan support was really bad last year(s).

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32327 on: August 30, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »
CSU would be a great addition. It's a major university in a populated state, located in an elite city. Playing them every year would be a lot of fun.

Ft Collins is elite no question, they aren’t in the top 4 best teams to add though.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32328 on: August 30, 2021, 03:45:04 PM »
Why is CSU such a crappy add? They've never seemed to have been a candidate for any true P5 type expansion.

They're basically a KSU clone (not that we are the belle of the ball), in a pretty populated state that's growing at a pretty good clip.

Note: not claiming they are a good add.

If I remember right, their attendance and fan support was really bad last year(s).

I expect our attendance and fan support to become really bad in the coming year(s), as well. Especially if we don't add anyone at least sort of local.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32329 on: August 31, 2021, 04:53:22 AM »
Our own fans are out here favorably comparing Colorado rough ridin' State to K-State. We get exactly what we deserve. I can't imagine any other power 5 school saying, yeah let's add this mid level G5 school, they're just like us! They had a reported average of 23,000 fans in a 37,000 seat stadium in 2019.

"Oh, our attendance is gonna suck too because everyone hates potato face and not getting to play OU and Texas every year will completely devalue everything we think about football." Okay, will it get this bad?
https://twitter.com/KellyLyell/status/1043577838916386816
https://twitter.com/9NEWSSports/status/1043614134107955200

Who gives a eff about how many mountain views and micropubs Ft. Collins has? If so called cool cities mattered we'd add Colorado State would still be behind San Diego State, UNLV, BYU, Boise St., Tulane, and Coastal Carolina.

Their football team has been the co-worst program in the MWC over the last 5 years, with UNLV. They are always and will always stay second fiddle in a big market that doesn't give two shits about college sports.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32330 on: August 31, 2021, 07:45:46 AM »
MIR is correct, but the good news is that no one involved in the expansion decisions will consider the likes of CSU.  Don't take the bait, MIR.

Offline jonsjasper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32331 on: August 31, 2021, 09:20:58 AM »
why is everyone wearing orange at a green vs red game? :dunno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32332 on: August 31, 2021, 09:25:24 AM »

From the comments, it looks like they wear orange for ag day.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32333 on: August 31, 2021, 09:29:51 AM »
If this shitty conference is going to forge ahead then we might as well get one relatively close glorious roadie out of it.  Bring in CSU.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32334 on: August 31, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »

From the comments, it looks like they wear orange for ag day.
The link below has the history of  Ag day which is basically a school sponsored tailgate party and sounds awesome.  Apparently, Orange and Green were the original colors for CSU  :Yuck:
https://agsci.colostate.edu/agday/ag-day-history/

If this shitty conference is going to forge ahead then we might as well get one relatively close glorious roadie out of it.  Bring in CSU.
Agree - I don't think a future playing weeknight games in Cincinnati and Orlando in the hopes a mashup of big state Ag schools, big city commuter schools and small private schools grows into the 5th Power conference while the other 4 conferences do everything they can to keep that from happening?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:01:37 AM by Skipper44 »

Offline jonsjasper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32335 on: August 31, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »
alfalfa green and pumpkin orange, damn. they are putting our aggie credentials to shame.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32336 on: August 31, 2021, 02:16:50 PM »

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32337 on: August 31, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/TimShep_/status/1432774996280086528?s=20

Anybody know who this guy is?

That was the guy who supposedly obtained a memo from an intern at OSU stating that 4 of the remaining big 12 members were going to the big 10.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32339 on: August 31, 2021, 02:47:28 PM »

That was the guy who supposedly obtained a memo from an intern at OSU stating that 4 of the remaining big 12 members were going to the big 10.

Excuse me? When was this? I clearly missed it.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32340 on: August 31, 2021, 02:48:39 PM »
The first 4 teams are most logical so that makes sense to me and is what I prefer.  That would probably hurt the AAC enough to put it at

SEC
big 10

ACC
PAC
B12

AAC

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32341 on: August 31, 2021, 03:01:46 PM »

It was from this:
https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=3457.msg2083260#msg2083260

I think it had OSU, KU, Baylor and Tech going to the BigTen

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32342 on: August 31, 2021, 03:27:37 PM »
The first 4 teams are most logical so that makes sense to me and is what I prefer.  That would probably hurt the AAC enough to put it at

SEC
big 10

ACC
PAC
B12

AAC

Are you talking on field performance or $ performance? That new Big 12 is still an overall better on field product than the Pac and possibly the ACC (besides Clemson). If we are talking viewers, that league could get close to Pac numbers if not better.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32343 on: August 31, 2021, 03:28:43 PM »
The first 4 teams are most logical so that makes sense to me and is what I prefer.

That’s exactly why it’s kind of a nothingburger. Anyone could have predicted the top 4-5 candidates.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32344 on: August 31, 2021, 03:41:44 PM »
The first 4 teams are most logical so that makes sense to me and is what I prefer.

That’s exactly why it’s kind of a nothingburger. Anyone could have predicted the top 4-5 candidates.

I think the message is Houston is a no go for some members of the big 12 (probably the Texas teams and OSU) even though they are likely one of the top 4 teams to add.  If it’s true Houston is not being considered I think it’s probably not definitive yet.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32345 on: August 31, 2021, 03:42:57 PM »

It was from this:
https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=3457.msg2083260#msg2083260

I think it had OSU, KU, Baylor and Tech going to the BigTen

Yeah, I remember this idiot now, he doesn't know didn't diddly crap, just making stuff up.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #32346 on: August 31, 2021, 05:39:15 PM »

This has always been my outlook. I truly don't give a eff if Colorado State has trash fan support or is a bad program or whatever. At this point as we scrape the bottom of the barrel and cling to the edge of the cliff knowing that eventually we'll drop, I just want one fun place to go watch the Cats play. Waco ain't it. Lubbock ain't it. Houston ain't it. Orlando is gross. Memphis is whack. Give me Ft. Collins, Boise, or Provo (close to Salt Lake City). We need one city that has something other than disgusting flat land.

*edit* I guess we still technically have Morgantown which is a truly glorious roadie, but I've been there a couple times so I'd like another mountainous place.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:42:40 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32347 on: August 31, 2021, 05:58:42 PM »

This has always been my outlook. I truly don't give a eff if Colorado State has trash fan support or is a bad program or whatever. At this point as we scrape the bottom of the barrel and cling to the edge of the cliff knowing that eventually we'll drop, I just want one fun place to go watch the Cats play. Waco ain't it. Lubbock ain't it. Houston ain't it. Orlando is gross. Memphis is whack. Give me Ft. Collins, Boise, or Provo (close to Salt Lake City). We need one city that has something other than disgusting flat land.

*edit* I guess we still technically have Morgantown which is a truly glorious roadie, but I've been there a couple times so I'd like another mountainous place.

The new big 12 is basically on same footing as the Pac 12 and ACC, it’s really not as bad as I thought originally.  Look at the distribution paid out by ACC and PAC and you will realize they have low paying deals.  If SEC and big 10 expand and take schools from PAC and ACC the big 12 might actually be the 3rd best conference.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32348 on: August 31, 2021, 06:18:12 PM »
Big 12 is fine as a conference but will always have the stigma as the one who’s members keep getting poached. I’m not sure exactly why that is. Maybe because it was so imbalanced at the top for so long.

If the remaining members are smart, this version of the Big 12 could probably be just as stable as the Pac 12 or ACC, although we lack basically any blueboods now unlike those conferences, which will stay a problem reputation wise.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32349 on: August 31, 2021, 06:31:14 PM »

Why settle for one when all three are available?