Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4054405 times)

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31550 on: July 29, 2021, 12:56:21 AM »
This really might wind up as two college football leagues won't it... the Disney League and the Fox league.
Things do seem trending in this direction.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #31551 on: July 29, 2021, 08:19:00 AM »
So who blinks first here? Do TX and OU just pay the buyout and GTFO? Does someone (maybe KU  :dunno: ) get lucky as crap and get an offer they can't refuse, thus blowing the whole thing up? Does the SEC say, crap, never mind, we are good? Do we end up in the WAC getting $3m a year? I don't have the patience to keep following this, so I need something to happen fairly quick.

TIA

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31552 on: July 29, 2021, 08:41:29 AM »
So who blinks first here? Do TX and OU just pay the buyout and GTFO? Does someone (maybe KU  :dunno: ) get lucky as crap and get an offer they can't refuse, thus blowing the whole thing up? Does the SEC say, crap, never mind, we are good? Do we end up in the WAC getting $3m a year? I don't have the patience to keep following this, so I need something to happen fairly quick.

TIA

The little 8 stick together and fill their Olympic sized swimming pools with gold coins.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31553 on: July 29, 2021, 08:55:31 AM »

TIA

The little 8 stick together and fill their Olympic sized swimming pools with gold coins.

Create our own network/app and live off the settled annuity like a boss
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31554 on: July 29, 2021, 09:01:52 AM »

TIA

I didn't think about this until now but I don't think the other schools can afford to leave, especially KU. The ACC and Big 10 aren't going to wait 4 years for them, and there's no way they can afford a buyout.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31555 on: July 29, 2021, 09:07:29 AM »
Just saw a clip where some CBS talking head thinks this is all headed (eventually) to something akin to minor league baseball but not as formal.

His concept went something like this:

MLB = NFL
Triple A = SEC\B10 (they will have all the money and in the NIL era attract the top athletes)
Double A = PAC12\ACC (they will have good money but not like the SEC\B10 and get second tier ahtletes)
Single A = everybody else, (AAC\LO8) might be a high single A group ahead of the low A group

*LO8 = Leftover 8

He also said with the open transfer portal in place now that players would sort of self promote up through the leagues if they couldn't sign with the Triple A level leagues.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31556 on: July 29, 2021, 09:10:18 AM »

TIA

I didn't think about this until now but I don't think the other schools can afford to leave, especially KU. The ACC and Big 10 aren't going to wait 4 years for them, and there's no way they can afford a buyout.

That is a really good point.  That would seem to make sticking together more likely, not because we all really want too but because everybody has too.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #31557 on: July 29, 2021, 09:11:28 AM »

TIA

yeah, until yesterday, I assumed it would all blow up and TX and OU would be playing in the SEC by next year and the rest either grabbed shitty teams and taped it together or got lucky and joined the PAC. Now I have no idea how its going to go. The KSU board should def follow our crypto and new to investing threads to make as much money as possible with their final few payouts though.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31558 on: July 29, 2021, 09:12:08 AM »
Just saw a clip where some CBS talking head thinks this is all headed (eventually) to something akin to minor league baseball but not as formal.

MLB = NFL
Triple A = SEC\B10 (they will have all the money and in the NIL era attract the top athletes)
Double A = PAC12\ACC (they will have good money but not like the SEC\B10 and get second tier ahtletes)
Single A = everybody else, (AAC\LO8) might be a high single A group ahead of the low A group

*LO8 = Leftover 8

He also said with the open transfer portal in place now that players would sort of self promote up through the leagues if they couldn't sign with the Triple A level leagues.

So 3 of the 5 leagues would just cede their autonomy rights? No shot.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #31559 on: July 29, 2021, 09:14:14 AM »

MLB = NFL

*LO8 = Leftover 8

Not sure something like this would last long. Who is paying to broadcast the shitty leagues? Plus, teams would never crawl out of those shitty leagues because as soon as they got lucky getting a guy the big guys didn't notice, he is transferring out immediately. I guess that still happens, but still.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31560 on: July 29, 2021, 09:14:42 AM »

MLB = NFL

*LO8 = Leftover 8

every part of this concept makes me want to barf

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31561 on: July 29, 2021, 09:15:29 AM »
With the new transfer rules, there is nothing to stop the SEC schools from recruiting heavily from the campuses of the lower conferences.  If you are a diamond in the rough kid who always wanted to play at the highest level, it's easier to make that happen now.  Sucks for the smaller schools, who are still bound by the 25 annual recruits rule and need to figure out a way to keep depth.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31562 on: July 29, 2021, 09:16:39 AM »
ESPN didn't pick the Stanford game and used their early season game selection to tank the value of the remaining schools.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31563 on: July 29, 2021, 09:21:26 AM »
ESPN is behind everything bad.  :curse:

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31564 on: July 29, 2021, 09:32:17 AM »

MLB = NFL

*LO8 = Leftover 8

He wasn't talking about anything that formal.  Is was more about how it will look and feel given how each group would have access to money.  You could make the argument that today it is like this:

AAA = Power 5
AA = G5
A = non-FBS football

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31565 on: July 29, 2021, 09:42:14 AM »
Effectively, the forgotten 8 in the Big 12 are in a lower tier right now. Every recruit now thinks so.

Offline PhoCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31566 on: July 29, 2021, 09:42:41 AM »

TIA

This is the concern of the for the remaining eight.  If two more teams get offers they can't refuse (and I am sure ESPN is trying to swing that with their conferences) those additional remaining teams, the Big 12 is done and has no legal standing in regard to exit fees from OU and UT or contractual agreements with each other.  When the conference dips below seven teams, its own bylaws says it is done.  The only card the Big 12 as a conference would have left is potential legal action against ESPN, which might be a fun case that lasts years, but would be much tougher to pursue if you start running out of schools willing to back that sucker.  Unless, of course, they can find some TV lawyer who will handle the case like one of those TV asbestos cases where you pay nothing unless you get paid. 

Then again, I am no lawyer, so maybe a KSU and a Baylor would spend the dough in hopes of the big payday that could come.  Are there enough donors willing to pay the jack to mount the legal cases (for the A.D.'s offices may be hurting so bad they can't afford the the amount of money needed for the lawyers needed with their diminished revenues post dissolution). 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31567 on: July 29, 2021, 09:45:42 AM »
Dennis Dodd reported that the Big 12 is confident that the way their agreements are written ensures that the Big 12 can still enforce the grant of rights on other schools, even if there is only 1 school remaining in the Big 12.

I kinda hope KSU just says eff it and rides this bitch all the way down.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31568 on: July 29, 2021, 09:47:19 AM »

TIA

This is the concern of the for the remaining eight.  If two more teams get offers they can't refuse (and I am sure ESPN is trying to swing that with their conferences) those additional remaining teams, the Big 12 is done and has no legal standing in regard to exit fees from OU and UT or contractual agreements with each other.  When the conference dips below seven teams, its own bylaws says it is done.  The only card the Big 12 as a conference would have left is potential legal action against ESPN, which might be a fun case that lasts years, but would be much tougher to pursue if you start running out of schools willing to back that sucker.  Unless, of course, they can find some TV lawyer who will handle the case like one of those TV asbestos cases where you pay nothing unless you get paid. 

Then again, I am no lawyer, so maybe a KSU and a Baylor would spend the dough in hopes of the big payday that could come.  Are there enough donors willing to pay the jack to mount the legal cases (for the A.D.'s offices may be hurting so bad they can't afford the the amount of money needed for the lawyers needed with their diminished revenues post dissolution). 

the high price to exit will prevent this from happening

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31569 on: July 29, 2021, 09:50:01 AM »
Dennis Dodd reported that the Big 12 is confident that the way their agreements are written ensures that the Big 12 can still enforce the grant of rights on other schools, even if there is only 1 school remaining in the Big 12.

I wish there was a better option but I think that might be it

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31570 on: July 29, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »

Move Big 12 headquarters to Manhattan.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31571 on: July 29, 2021, 09:56:59 AM »

MLB = NFL

*LO8 = Leftover 8

He wasn't talking about anything that formal.  Is was more about how it will look and feel given how each group would have access to money.  You could make the argument that today it is like this:

AAA = Power 5
AA = G5
A = non-FBS football

Gotcha. It's that way now, the Big 10 isn't on the same level as the SEC though. They, along with the Big 12 are effectively one team conferences anyway, the SEC is a two team conference right now. Alabama, Georgia, OU, Clemson, and Ohio State are playing a different game than everyone else. LSU, Florida, A&M, Penn State, Iowa, Oregon, Auburn, etc. have all been solid, but they haven't proven that they are beyond being mediocre or just plain shitty on any given year.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31572 on: July 29, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »
ESPN is in survival mode and they’ve come out fighting like a Cocaine Willie/All night binder Sailor Willie hybrid when their 4am breakfast order gets messed up.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31573 on: July 29, 2021, 09:59:20 AM »

I wish there was a better option but I think that might be it

Not that this would happen, but if it did that would be damn near $500 million to a billion dollars in exit fees going to one school.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31574 on: July 29, 2021, 10:01:17 AM »
Unless Dennis Dodd is directly quoting an official source I trust nothing he says about the business of college athletics