Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4064114 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31475 on: July 28, 2021, 07:24:35 PM »
Definitely setting up a tortious interference claim. The catch is that Texas and OU have up to this point outwardly indicated that they intend to stay in the Big 12 until the contract is up.

If ESPN’s orchestration is to get other Big 12 members to make similar deals, it’s not inducing anyone to breach their agreement, even though the practical effect is for the conference to implode.

I think there’s still a claim there, but I have no doubt the eggheads at ESPN have determined it’s a risk worth taking. In other words they weren’t just banking on not getting found out.

I beg to differ. Mr. Spracne accomplished that feat no more than an hour ago. (obligatory KU fan Sandler movie reference)

Also, this:

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1420515796418187265?s=20

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31476 on: July 28, 2021, 07:24:58 PM »
Have the sEcSPN writer nerds been pridictoing a bunch of teams to the aac? #smokinggun

I was very coincidentally listening to John Skipper on the Dan LeBatard Show and he talked about ESPN's role in the last round of expansion. He said that they business people separated, the media people separated, and he wasn't directly involved in either to avoid impropriety. Of course if you follow sports business at all now you know the current dude running the show, Jimmy Pitaro, is a complete amateur and seems to have an incident every couple of weeks or so when he's completely mumped something up. I thought the Maria Taylor thing was a new low for ESPN but they couldn't even make it a month without rough ridin' up even worse.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31477 on: July 28, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »
Man alive, I just knew this thing was going to get good, but I had no idea it would be THIS good.  :bwpopcorn:

Yeah realignment season 2 or whatever season this is, is off to a really good start. I thought the first episode was a little predictable with OU/UT to the SEC but having ESPN sleeping with the AAC behind our backs is a nice twist. I also like the recasting of the Commish in this season, he seems way more entertaining than the last guy

Offline CantHaveNiceThingsKSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31478 on: July 28, 2021, 07:30:49 PM »
Love me a good court battle. Honestly probably more entertaining than actual college football. Big 12 should be sponsored by Court TV.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31479 on: July 28, 2021, 07:31:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/1420536329109229571

Reports appear to be correct. AAC appear to be a bunch of amateurs.

It's just crazy because they had to think there was no way in hell any Big 12 team would voluntarily go to the AAC. Could you imagine Oklahoma State dropping a tweet saying they are headed to the rough ridin' American Athletic Conference and the reaction of their alumni and donors? This isn't a move you make as even a first, second, or third option. Does ESPN actually think the school administrators and alumni of these flyover schools are actual, real life morons?

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31481 on: July 28, 2021, 07:36:54 PM »
Man alive, I just knew this thing was going to get good, but I had no idea it would be THIS good.  :bwpopcorn:

Yeah realignment season 2 or whatever season this is, is off to a really good start. I thought the first episode was a little predictable with OU/UT to the SEC but having ESPN sleeping with the AAC behind our backs is a nice twist. I also like the recasting of the Commish in this season, he seems way more entertaining than the last guy

No shade at Bowlsby but I'm going to chalk up today's events to the athletic directors. I can't imagine how furious and offended that Jamie Pollard and Kirby Hocutt had to be by Jimmy rough ridin' Pitaro telling you, as an autonomous Big 12 member, to join the crusty ass AAC with Tulsa, Temple, and Wichita State, or even worse didn't think you were worthy of joining that trash ass conference.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31482 on: July 28, 2021, 07:41:04 PM »
Dennis dodds article….

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby alleges conference media rights partner ESPN conspired to damage the league by luring Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC as detailed in a cease and desist letter sent to the network on Wednesday. Bowlsby also tells CBS Sports that ESPN has actively engaged the American Athletic Conference (AAC) to pursue "3-5" Big 12 members join the league, suggesting it would be rewarded with "future television proceeds".

The letter alleges ESPN "has taken certain actions that are intended to not only harm the Big 12 Conference but to result in financial benefits for ESPN." The network currently shares Big 12 rights with Fox.

Bowlsby told CBS Sports that ESPN's actions are equal to "tortious interference".

"[There are] two documents that govern our members," Bowlsby told CBS Sports. "One is the bylaws, and the other is the grant of rights. The bylaws go for 99 years; the grant of rights go until 2024-25. ESPN has been behind these moves every step of the way."

He added: "I have every expectation that Oklahoma and Texas will do whatever they can to not meet their [contractual] obligations. That's what they've done so far. ... One of the ways the two schools and ESPN will seek to absolve themselves of the obligation is to destabilize the league and cause an implosion of the other eight members.

"I am absolutely certain ESPN employees have discussed and provided incentives for at least one conference to raid 3-5 members from the Big 12. In doing so, they are prepared to reward them with future television proceeds. If the conference goes away as an entity, Oklahoma and Texas could be relieved from their exit obligations. Those obligations at this time would include the payment of $70M to $80M -- two years full revenue -- per school and leaving their media rights with the Big 12.

"We're just not going to sit still and let somebody who is supposed to be our partner collaborate and disrupt our business. I know with certainty they are doing it relative to one conference. I suspect they have done the same thing in moving Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC."

With its flagship brands in Texas and Oklahoma departing the conference, the Big 12 is at a crossroads. The letter to ESPN is just the first sign that the conference is gearing up for a legal fight.

"The Big 12 Conference demands that ESPN immediately cease and desist all actions that may harm the conference and its members and that it not communicate with the Big 12 Conference's existing members or any NCAA conference regarding the Big 12 conference's members, possible conference realignment or potential financial incentive or outcomes related to possible conference realignment," the letter reads.

ESPN publicly responded: "The claims in the letter have no merit."

Both OU and Texas have indicated, though legally required, that they are willing to wait until their grant of rights with the Big 12 expires in 2025 to avoid paying hefty exit fees. However, the schools noted in a joint statement Monday that both "will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving collegiate athletics landscape as they consider how best to position their athletics programs for the future."

CBS Sports HQ Newsletter
We bring sports news that matters to your inbox, to help you stay informed and get a winning edge.

I agree that CBS Sports can send me the "CBS Sports HQ Newsletter".

Our Latest Stories
Four-star LB Sebastian Cheeks commits to UNC
DAVID COBB • 1 MIN READ
Ohio State QB commit Quinn Ewers may reclassify
DAVID COBB • 1 MIN READ
Options for the Big Ten as realignment looms ahead
TOM FORNELLI • 6 MIN READ
NCAA unwilling to change penalties against Reggie Bush
BEN KERCHEVAL • 1 MIN READ
Pac-12 Media Day: league focused on CFP success
DAVID COBB • 7 MIN READ
Bob Stoops weighs in on Oklahoma's likely move to SEC
BEN KERCHEVAL • 1 MIN READ

SportsLine.com

© 2004-2021 CBS INTERACTIVE. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc.

Images by Getty Images and US Presswire

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31483 on: July 28, 2021, 07:42:58 PM »

No shade at Bowlsby but I'm going to chalk up today's events to the athletic directors. I can't imagine how furious and offended that Jamie Pollard and Kirby Hocutt had to be by Jimmy rough ridin' Pitaro telling you, as an autonomous Big 12 member, to join the crusty ass AAC with Tulsa, Temple, and Wichita State, or even worse didn't think you were worthy of joining that trash ass conference.

Clone thinks he’s going b10
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31484 on: July 28, 2021, 07:49:45 PM »
Bowlsby may end up looking like a clown, but today he wins the day.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31485 on: July 28, 2021, 07:52:13 PM »
There is also the nugget that OU and UT were sitting in on and participating in Big 12 strategy sessions with proprietary information that was likely shared with/ illegally obtained by ESPN.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31487 on: July 28, 2021, 07:57:49 PM »
Will the SEC still vote on inviting Texas and OU this week?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31488 on: July 28, 2021, 07:58:45 PM »
So espn is involved with sec, aac and big12. Doesn’t like their big12 or longhorn network contracts. So they move Texas and ou to the higher paying sec and then try and move the other schools that they want to control to the way lower paying aac. If they succeed, they pay 2 schools a little more, 3-5 schools a lot less, the schools they don’t want zero dollars and then also get out from under the longhorn network and big12 contracts in the process. I’m sure that was a fun white board presentation to watch at espn corporate. Probably could have saved them a cool 500 million if it wasn’t for that meddling bowlsby.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 08:03:20 PM by Dr Rick Daris »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31489 on: July 28, 2021, 07:59:20 PM »

There is literally no factual basis for this, at all. Even if it were that has nothing to do with every single athletic director being grossly offended at what ESPN tried to do.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #31490 on: July 28, 2021, 07:59:46 PM »
So, ESPN isn’t a person. I wonder if there is an email from someone as evidence. Is it the top guy? Would be amaze if he was stupid enough to do this and it’s traceable back to him. The Mouse would be paying him a visit pretty quick I’d guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31491 on: July 28, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »
Will the SEC still vote on inviting Texas and OU this week?

I mean, would a worry about possible exposure lead them to slow things down a bit?

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31492 on: July 28, 2021, 08:24:01 PM »
It'll probably take a couple more meetings with the lawyers so it might slow down by a couple days but I doubt it changes that part of this at all. The interesting thing is what does it do to where we land, how much we get paid, lots of interesting things there.

Offline PhoCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31493 on: July 28, 2021, 08:36:40 PM »
Love him or hate him (I know where this board generally stands) Fitz did have an interesting Daily Delivery just before this hit.  He called on the Big 12 to be aggressive and force ESPN to pay.  To do that, the rest stick together, and should add 2 teams immediately (UCF and Cinci) - he believes (not sure, so this is iffy) that the current deal with ESPN gives a higher payout if the conference adds 2 teams.  Screw it in regard whether UT and OU want them in or not (just out vote them now that everyone is pissed).  Due to the money shift, the two would probably enter with smaller shares of revenue than the other schools, for at least a year or two. Then ride out the contract and then add more teams when OU and UT finally do leave following protocols.

Not sure it will work.  But the Big 12 can't keep being compliant with ESPN and those that wish to push the majority around (which has been the history for some time).  Agree with him or not, he is right about one thing.  Be aggressive and quit being the idiot whose hubby/boyfriend beats them up and keeps coming back saying "Deep down, I know he loves me..."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31494 on: July 28, 2021, 08:47:42 PM »
So, ESPN isn’t a person. I wonder if there is an email from someone as evidence. Is it the top guy? Would be amaze if he was stupid enough to do this and it’s traceable back to him. The Mouse would be paying him a visit pretty quick I’d guess.

I'm guessing ESPN probably is a person.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31495 on: July 28, 2021, 08:51:09 PM »
So espn is involved with sec, aac and big12. Doesn’t like their big12 or longhorn network contracts. So they move Texas and ou to the higher paying sec and then try and move the other schools that they want to control to the way lower paying aac. If they succeed, they pay 2 schools a little more, 3-5 schools a lot less, the schools they don’t want zero dollars and then also get out from under the longhorn network and big12 contracts in the process. I’m sure that was a fun white board presentation to watch at espn corporate. Probably could have saved them a cool 500 million if it wasn’t for that meddling bowlsby.

Top shelf. This is why we pay premium
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31496 on: July 28, 2021, 08:53:40 PM »
$1.06 billion paid to the Big12 over and up until 2025 is a rounding error for Disney?  (checks Disney market cap and stock)

They don’t have business units, just a big ol pot of Disney cash?

You know as well as I do that if ESPN didn't stick their noses in that payout wouldn't have reached the full amount. You have to think the eventual settlement will now be higher than it would have been.
They’re trying to cause a total dissolution to avoid having to pay anything.   If the Big 12 gets 4 other teams and carries on, Texas/OU and ESPN are negotiating from the top of number to get out early.   For an individual business unit, that number isn’t a rounding error.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31497 on: July 28, 2021, 08:55:35 PM »
Wonder if any correspondence FOIA-able?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31498 on: July 28, 2021, 08:56:25 PM »

There is literally no factual basis for this, at all. Even if it were that has nothing to do with every single athletic director being grossly offended at what ESPN tried to do.

For sure

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31499 on: July 28, 2021, 08:59:40 PM »
There is also the nugget that OU and UT were sitting in on and participating in Big 12 strategy sessions with proprietary information that was likely shared with/ illegally obtained by ESPN.
Mm-hmm