Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4142767 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #34500 on: October 21, 2022, 08:29:09 AM »
What if our conference played half our games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights on National TV as the only live football game?

That’s just crazy enough it might work!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34501 on: October 21, 2022, 08:39:11 AM »
One thing to consider, with sports gambling becoming more prominent, being the marquis games on both Thursday’s and Friday’s could be huge for eye balls and just overall attention.

For instance, I think if we had one of our next few games on a Thursday, every day-show would talk about it and create buzz for something like a Heisman moment for 9AM.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34502 on: October 21, 2022, 09:35:14 AM »
the manhattan area economy needs as many saturday games as possible.  there has to be a compromise between what money goes to the AD from television and what money goes to the area economy from saturday games.  cutting off local businesses will hurt the university.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34503 on: October 21, 2022, 09:38:36 AM »
As reparations for making us go on the road for our first conference game since the inception of the big 12 we will only play Wednesday nights on the road.  All home games Saturday.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34504 on: October 21, 2022, 10:43:17 AM »
the manhattan area economy needs as many saturday games as possible.  there has to be a compromise between what money goes to the AD from television and what money goes to the area economy from saturday games.  cutting off local businesses will hurt the university.

Last time we played a Thursday game, I had the same issues finding hotels, places to eat on game day, and parking as I did on Saturdays. If we're playing conference games on Thursday/Friday or a good non con opponent, the number of people coming into the city won't be appreciably worse.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34505 on: October 21, 2022, 10:56:11 AM »

Last time we played a Thursday game, I had the same issues finding hotels, places to eat on game day, and parking as I did on Saturdays. If we're playing conference games on Thursday/Friday or a good non con opponent, the number of people coming into the city won't be appreciably worse.

It definitely hurts the local economy.  Thursday night bar/hotel numbers might be close but hotels don't get the same rates or the same length of stay and restaurants don't get the business for as many meals.  I would think the local economy does somewhere between 50-60% of the weekend gameday numbers.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34506 on: October 21, 2022, 11:41:57 AM »

It definitely hurts the local economy.  Thursday night bar/hotel numbers might be close but hotels don't get the same rates or the same length of stay and restaurants don't get the business for as many meals.  I would think the local economy does somewhere between 50-60% of the weekend gameday numbers.

Wow, jeesh. That's a pretty dramatic cut.
I remember Manhattan being pretty vibrant day of and the morning after the Auburn and NDSU games, guess that isn't reflected in the bottom line, that's too bad.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34507 on: October 21, 2022, 12:03:27 PM »
OTSS, local business snowflakes. 

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34508 on: October 21, 2022, 12:42:54 PM »
I'm for Thursday night games, but games in November/December could be nasty cold.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34509 on: October 21, 2022, 01:01:25 PM »
I'm for Thursday night games, but games in November/December could be nasty cold.

Every Thursday in November/December, I too long for those balmy Saturdays two days later.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34510 on: October 21, 2022, 01:16:46 PM »

Every Thursday in November/December, I too long for those balmy Saturdays two days later.

Most of those are when the sun is out or at least daylight.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34511 on: October 21, 2022, 01:36:53 PM »
Fair-ish point. To be clear, I won't be attending either a Thursday or Saturday game in November at either KSU or KU (for different reasons) any time soon, so it matters not to me.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #34512 on: October 21, 2022, 02:32:52 PM »
Its an interesting point. I'd love a big Thursday night game. I also agree that being the lone game would def be beneficial to the school, players, and conference overall, but I do feel bad about the local hit if its as bad as people are saying. If I had to guess, super elite sales guy BY doesn't give any shits at all about the local economy. He needs and wants TV eyeballs and ad dollars.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34513 on: October 21, 2022, 03:40:23 PM »
Fair-ish point. To be clear, I won't be attending either a Thursday or Saturday game in November at either KSU or KU (for different reasons) any time soon, so it matters not to me.

katdaddy is out here playing chess

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34514 on: October 22, 2022, 02:26:34 AM »

katdaddy is out here playing chess

Beats freezing on a late fall Thursday night.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34515 on: October 22, 2022, 09:31:25 AM »
The difference is night and day really.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34516 on: October 22, 2022, 04:48:53 PM »
Yep.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34517 on: October 27, 2022, 08:32:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1585622948890742785?t=iFX3s9WIY4hJGcVwAA9cLQ&s=19

“We believe between the travel and the coaches’ salaries and some of the other expenses you incur when you join the Big Ten,” Kliavkoff said, “the small delta in the media rights deal [between the Pac-12 and the Big Ten] will be more than offset. We stand by those numbers.”

Kliavkoff said the conference’s new deal would “close the gap between us and the Big Ten and the SEC [Southeastern Conference],” which he called a first step in strengthening the Pac-12 brand.

“Eventually, we’ll catch those guys,” Kliavkoff said. “It will take a couple of steps, but we’re going to take a step towards closing that gap. Then we’re going to be looking at expansion. We’re going to be looking at schools that make sense for us.”

This guy seems delusional. That is way beyond a "everything is fine" type statement you expect from people at his level. The delta between the PAC and Big 10 is not small.

They (or the Big 12) are not catching the Big 2 in revenue.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #34518 on: October 27, 2022, 09:00:00 AM »
That is hilarious. Probably the best part is where he says the revenue will be similar after travel and hiring better coaches.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34519 on: October 27, 2022, 12:08:24 PM »
What a bozo

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34520 on: October 27, 2022, 12:23:27 PM »
He seems like the Kim Jung Un of conference commissioners to me

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34521 on: October 27, 2022, 12:52:41 PM »
One thing to consider, with sports gambling becoming more prominent, being the marquis games on both Thursday’s and Friday’s could be huge for eye balls and just overall attention.

For instance, I think if we had one of our next few games on a Thursday, every day-show would talk about it and create buzz for something like a Heisman moment for 9AM.

Can someone remind me of the reason for LHCBS' distaste for Thursday night games?  The arguments posted for or against them here sound logical, but am not sure they are any of the arguments articulated by LHCBS.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34522 on: October 27, 2022, 01:10:48 PM »

Can someone remind me of the reason for LHCBS' distaste for Thursday night games?  The arguments posted for or against them here sound logical, but am not sure they are any of the arguments articulated by LHCBS.

The same reason he hated everything else, it's a deviation from the norm. Messed with his rigid prep schedule.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34523 on: October 27, 2022, 07:45:43 PM »
He seems like the Kim Jung Un of conference commissioners to me
YES!

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile