Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4067945 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #34075 on: August 08, 2022, 02:19:50 PM »
That lawsuit was the last good thing Oklahoma has done.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:03:46 AM by MakeItRain »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34076 on: August 08, 2022, 04:03:06 PM »
Wait, wsu only has 32k capacity?

Pullman is a tough place to reach. 4.5 hours from Seattle. 5.5 hours from Portland. 1.5 hours from Spokane and the winters are really harsh out on the Palouse.

And University of Idaho is literally 8 miles away.

Which is still one of my favorite wtf about two rather large universities seemingly in the middle of no where (pretty area just remote)

Also right along the state border very odd placement.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34077 on: August 08, 2022, 08:17:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1556791596175196166?t=9a1PN57r-2vIJ5Pnn5asDg&s=19

Starting to look like ESPN could be shut out of B10 deal and that CBS and/or NBC will be participating with Fox

Once this is announced then the PAC should get their final numbers and we will see if anyone makes a move.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34078 on: August 08, 2022, 08:41:29 PM »
Wow! I'm pretty surprised by that. Ourand and Marchand speculated that Apple TV was in on this bid process.

My guess is that this will drive the price up a bit for the Pac 12 and Big 12, ESPN will need the content. I'm really let leery of an ESPN only deal for the Big 12, that's a lot of ESPN+: content, but it looks like ABC/ESPN will be our only choice for linear TV.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34079 on: August 08, 2022, 09:39:41 PM »
it’s not like there’s a pile of money sitting around bristol because of this.  they’re hemorrhaging subscribers and money.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34080 on: August 08, 2022, 09:51:23 PM »
Why is ABC/ESPN our only choice for linear? Once October hits there’s only 7-8 Big Ten games per week. That’s 1 to Fox Big Noon Kickoff, 1 to CBS 3:30 & 1 to NBC primetime. That only leaves 4-5 games per week for FS1, BTN & Peacock. Fox needs more inventory for a 2nd Fox game & FS1.

This looks like to me a 2-3 games per week to Fox & the rest to ESPN/ESPN+.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34081 on: August 08, 2022, 11:04:34 PM »
it’s not like there’s a pile of money sitting around bristol because of this.  they’re hemorrhaging subscribers and money.

They are still far and away the leaders in live sports rights, multiple fold. If they lose the bid, it's not because they couldn't afford to bid more, they don't want to pay what they'd have to pay for what they're going to get. They're going to get Big 12 or Pac 12 games that pull similar or even better ratings than the Big 10 B package for a fraction of the cost.

Why is ABC/ESPN our only choice for linear? Once October hits there’s only 7-8 Big Ten games per week. That’s 1 to Fox Big Noon Kickoff, 1 to CBS 3:30 & 1 to NBC primetime. That only leaves 4-5 games per week for FS1, BTN & Peacock. Fox needs more inventory for a 2nd Fox game & FS1.

This looks like to me a 2-3 games per week to Fox & the rest to ESPN/ESPN+.

You're forgetting about baseball, which they'll have until at least 2028. November starts Big East basketball which they've been giving fall Saturday windows to since they've won the rights. They also have North American world cup qualifying. Most of their open windows will be the late window and we know that's not going to the Big 12.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34082 on: August 09, 2022, 12:29:43 AM »
I went back & looked at the 2021 TV schedule starting the first week of October to see how many games Fox had across their networks.

Week 5: Fox: 2, FS1: 3 BTN: 5, Total: 10
Week 6: Fox: 3, FS1: 1, BTN: 2, Total: 6
Week 7: Fox: 2, FS1: 2, BTN: 2, Total: 6
Week 8: Fox: 2, FS1: 1, BTN: 1, Total: 5
Week 9: Fox: 2, FS1: 3, BTN: 3, Total: 8
Week 10: Fox: 3, FS1: 4, BTN: 2, Total: 9
Week 11: Fox: 3, FS1: 3, BTN: 2, Total: 8
Week 12: Fox: 3, FS1: 2, BTN: 4, Total: 9
Week 13: Fox: 5, FS1: 6, BTN: 3, Total: 14

Week 5 still had some non-cons. Getting into conference play in weeks 6-12 they still averaged over 7 games per week, even with baseball in October. They had at least 2 games per week on Fox, with at least 3 games on Fox every week in November. If they align with just the BigTen they’ll be getting probably 6 games at most per week when conference only games pick up in early October. They’ll either have to drop  2-3 games per week (keep the baseball schedule pace from weeks 6-8 through the whole year) or partner with someone else. Also in weeks 6-8 the BigTen had 4 or 5 teams on byes, so even when on weeks with the reduced CFB schedule for baseball, they’d still only have 4-5 games available those weeks & still be under 2021 pace. Is World Cup qualifying filling up 2-3 games per week every week? I have a hard time believing Fox would give up 3 college football games per week in November while also trying to grow their CFB product to include the playoffs.

The other odd thing I noticed in this was in all of November the BigTen had 6 games on ABC, but 0 on ESPN & 2 on ESPN2. They only 7 conference games & 5 non-con games total on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU all season.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 08:30:31 AM by TheHamburglar »

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34083 on: August 09, 2022, 07:00:31 AM »
https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1556819911212765184?t=_4UT0eTXWgFtGdyHVvAtMw&s=19

That is a like 21 million per team. That can't be for just 1 tier 2 game per week

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34084 on: August 09, 2022, 08:29:05 AM »
Probably have several games at 3:30 shown regionally like the NFL.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34085 on: August 09, 2022, 08:58:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1556819911212765184?t=_4UT0eTXWgFtGdyHVvAtMw&s=19

That is a like 21 million per team. That can't be for just 1 tier 2 game per week

Technically It’s tier 1. However, it looks like the BigTen will now have 2-3 OTA games per week so the tier system nomenclature changes for them. With it being that much money, I’m guessing they might get first pick on some weekends.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34087 on: August 09, 2022, 09:14:25 AM »
I went back & looked at the 2021 TV schedule starting the first week of October to see how many games Fox had across their networks.

Week 5: Fox: 2, FS1: 3 BTN: 5, Total: 10
Week 6: Fox: 3, FS1: 1, BTN: 2, Total: 6
Week 7: Fox: 2, FS1: 2, BTN: 2, Total: 6
Week 8: Fox: 2, FS1: 1, BTN: 1, Total: 5
Week 9: Fox: 2, FS1: 3, BTN: 3, Total: 8
Week 10: Fox: 3, FS1: 4, BTN: 2, Total: 9
Week 11: Fox: 3, FS1: 3, BTN: 2, Total: 8
Week 12: Fox: 3, FS1: 2, BTN: 4, Total: 9
Week 13: Fox: 5, FS1: 6, BTN: 3, Total: 14

Week 5 still had some non-cons. Getting into conference play in weeks 6-12 they still averaged over 7 games per week, even with baseball in October. They had at least 2 games per week on Fox, with at least 3 games on Fox every week in November. If they align with just the BigTen they’ll be getting probably 6 games at most per week when conference only games pick up in early October. They’ll either have to drop  2-3 games per week (keep the baseball schedule pace from weeks 6-8 through the whole year) or partner with someone else. Also in weeks 6-8 the BigTen had 4 or 5 teams on byes, so even when on weeks with the reduced CFB schedule for baseball, they’d still only have 4-5 games available those weeks & still be under 2021 pace. Is World Cup qualifying filling up 2-3 games per week every week? I have a hard time believing Fox would give up 3 college football games per week in November while also trying to grow their CFB product to include the playoffs.

The other odd thing I noticed in this was in all of November the BigTen had 6 games on ABC, but 0 on ESPN & 2 on ESPN2. They only 7 conference games & 5 non-con games total on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU all season.

This is good work. One other thing we didn't account for is Fox is also contracted for 23 Mountain West games. There is some inventory left there but I don't see enough for the Big 12. Like I said before, it's probably easier for the Pac 12 because they can literally take every late window.

When considering these windows also look at Thursday and Friday. Fox doesn't have the flexibility to offer these, ESPN does. I think tier 1 is headed to ESPN/ABC, for me the question is what happens to tier 2 and 3, will they stay with Disney or will they go to a steamer other than ESPN+.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34088 on: August 09, 2022, 09:20:19 AM »
Probably have several games at 3:30 shown regionally like the NFL.

I believe that does not maximize ad revenue.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34090 on: August 09, 2022, 10:07:32 AM »

This is good work. One other thing we didn't account for is Fox is also contracted for 23 Mountain West games. There is some inventory left there but I don't see enough for the Big 12. Like I said before, it's probably easier for the Pac 12 because they can literally take every late window.

When considering these windows also look at Thursday and Friday. Fox doesn't have the flexibility to offer these, ESPN does. I think tier 1 is headed to ESPN/ABC, for me the question is what happens to tier 2 and 3, will they stay with Disney or will they go to a steamer other than ESPN+.

Good point on the MW. I don’t know if Fox wants to keep triple headers in November where they go. I guess I’m working under the assumption that Fox & the PAC-10 are dead to each other, but they may not be.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34091 on: August 09, 2022, 10:58:37 AM »
https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1557015309692846080?s=21

This is $31 million a year per team in a 12 team conferences for those counting at home. As I said they can essentially get an entire conference with that tiny portion of the Big 10 contract.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34092 on: August 09, 2022, 11:54:37 AM »
Canzano just filled in another hole.

According to him, the BigTen will have 3 tier 1 games per week:

Fox with the first pick at $500M/yr
NBC with second pick at $380M/yr
CBS with third pick at $350M/yr

That means the BigTen is getting more for it’s third game than the SEC for it’s first.

I don’t know that I believe it.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34093 on: August 09, 2022, 11:57:38 AM »
So…. $77 mil per team for Tier 1?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34094 on: August 09, 2022, 12:40:49 PM »

That means the BigTen is getting more for it’s third game than the SEC for it’s first.

What's wild is, if this is true, the SEC can't do a damn thing about it. They're stuck until 2034.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34095 on: August 09, 2022, 12:50:15 PM »

What's wild is, if this is true, the SEC can't do a damn thing about it. They're stuck until 2034.

I think I misinterpreted. That $300MM was before OU/Texas. It’s going to go up.  However, some are reporting that $300M is for 2 games a week. Even if it goes up with OU/UT, it’s still going to be way behind $880M for the BigTen’s top 2.  There has to be something missing, like that $500M Fox number is the whole Fox/FS1 other games deal & not just the tier 1 & that NBC number includes additional games on Peacock.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:54:39 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34096 on: August 09, 2022, 03:17:03 PM »

I think I misinterpreted. That $300MM was before OU/Texas. It’s going to go up.  However, some are reporting that $300M is for 2 games a week. Even if it goes up with OU/UT, it’s still going to be way behind $880M for the BigTen’s top 2.  There has to be something missing, like that $500M Fox number is the whole Fox/FS1 other games deal & not just the tier 1 & that NBC number includes additional games on Peacock.

Yeah it has to include a lot of other games/other sports. If not, just those 3 games would pay the conference 1.23 billion/yr.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34097 on: August 09, 2022, 09:49:46 PM »

Just read The Athletic and amounts are Fox @$500M/yr. for first pick A games on Big Noon.  NBC @$350/yr. for second pick A games on Prime Time.  CBS @$350/yr. for third pick A games on Big Saturday at 3:30 ET.  This amounts to 1.2B per yr.  Fox owns 64% of BTN and will have their choice of games left over for these games and FS1 will get a game.  This leaves a package for a streaming service for which Apple and Amazon are be offered a package to bid on.  The streaming service may only broadcast limited live games, but will also have rights to rebroadcast games during spring/ summer.  With all the sources of income it may bring annual network payouts to around 1 to 1.3M per school.  NOTE:  this does not include NCAA BB tournament, FB bowl and CFP money.  This will very per yr., but could bring additional money of undetermined size.  If they are correct, payout total could be as large as $1.5M per school on good yrs.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:55:21 PM by Katpappy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34098 on: August 09, 2022, 09:54:49 PM »
These amounts of money are disgust me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 10:22:58 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34099 on: August 09, 2022, 10:18:42 PM »
In case we have nay-sayers among us, here is their quote:                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                                                              .Dochterman: The combined $700 million annually from CBS and NBC nearly equals the Big Ten’s total non-investment income from the 2020 fiscal year, according to the league’s most recent tax statement. Considering the largest slice will come from primary rightsholder Fox, plus the league’s 39 percent equity in BTN and a separate streaming package, the total figure should soar past $1.3 billion and perhaps as high as $1.5 billion.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.