Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3982199 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #34000 on: July 26, 2022, 11:13:22 PM »
Experience? Experience, exshmrerience. Look at the school, for Christ's sake. It's the second best school in Oregon. Experience come and go, DLew, but Ore St, "the Beav," they only switch conferences once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

Very embarrassed that it took me until “experience come and go, dlew”. Don’t ever change sd.

I still haven’t figured it out because I keep reading it as Billy Madison giving his industrial revolution speech.

https://youtu.be/2vbMi6ZzK-8

Hartford? The Whale?  Damnit, I’ve said that line 100 times in my life.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34001 on: July 27, 2022, 12:12:47 AM »
LOL at the sources that named those schools.

Cal  :ROFL:

I think his source was Brett Yormark.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34002 on: July 27, 2022, 09:07:58 AM »
Not to change the topic, but these guys got an interesting take on the new CFP.
https://youtu.be/IslmV2BG-MY.

Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34003 on: July 27, 2022, 12:48:52 PM »

If so, I think we just have to assume it’s gamesmanship.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34004 on: July 27, 2022, 12:56:55 PM »

If so, I think we just have to assume it’s gamesmanship.

The more times those Bay Area and PNW schools are mentioned with other conferences the more nervous those four corner schools will be

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34005 on: July 27, 2022, 01:01:47 PM »
Wazzu and Oregon State have to be preparing for the mountain west at this point
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34006 on: July 27, 2022, 01:06:32 PM »
Wazzu and Oregon State have to be preparing for the mountain west at this point

That can't happen and we better hope like hell that it doesn't. I think college athletics is much healthier if the Pac 12 survives and is healthy.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34007 on: July 27, 2022, 01:09:28 PM »
The current PAC would be extremely healthy if they just cut the bullshit and merged with the B12. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34008 on: July 27, 2022, 01:19:29 PM »
Holy cats!  The Pirate has a proposal where players take one of two college athletic tracks.  If you choose the professional athlete track, you don't pick your university, your university drafts you.  Scholarship athletes get $150k when they earn their degree if they don't transfer.  Interesting.

https://247sports.com/Article/Mike-Leach-proposal-stop-transfer-portal-madness-NIL-rules-money-recruiting-Mississippi-State-head-coach-168089589/

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34009 on: July 27, 2022, 01:22:23 PM »
Dumb

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34010 on: July 27, 2022, 01:26:23 PM »
Dumb

What's going on in the absence of a framework and rules is "dumb".  I'm a little slower to crap on a proposed solution, especially when I don't have an alternative to offer.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34011 on: July 27, 2022, 01:33:28 PM »
There’s nothing wrong with college football, it doesn’t need fixed. It’s changing for the better

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34012 on: July 27, 2022, 01:36:57 PM »
The current PAC would be extremely healthy if they just cut the bullshit and merged with the B12. 

I don't love that either. I don't understand why these athletic departments can't come to the realization that not all schools will have anything close to equal revenue and I'm not sure why we're even trying to achieve that. The purpose of having college athletics was never for it to be a capitalist venture. I don't want to sound all puritanical about this but if we've determined the point is just to make as much money as we can, college athletics will be dead sooner rather than later. The people going to games, buying t-shirts, and spending hours on TV don't care what the payroll is, we want to beat our rivals and talk crap to friends, family, and coworkers.

Who's going to be the hero and make a move that shows enough is enough. Kevin Warren and Greg Sankey can continue to be greedy fucks, not everyone else has to follow.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34013 on: July 27, 2022, 01:56:24 PM »

I don't love that either. I don't understand why these athletic departments can't come to the realization that not all schools will have anything close to equal revenue and I'm not sure why we're even trying to achieve that. The purpose of having college athletics was never for it to be a capitalist venture. I don't want to sound all puritanical about this but if we've determined the point is just to make as much money as we can, college athletics will be dead sooner rather than later. The people going to games, buying t-shirts, and spending hours on TV don't care what the payroll is, we want to beat our rivals and talk crap to friends, family, and coworkers.

Who's going to be the hero and make a move that shows enough is enough. Kevin Warren and Greg Sankey can continue to be greedy fucks, not everyone else has to follow.

Oregon & Clemson want to win. As dumb as it is, they think they need more staff. A podcast I listened to this morning said Bama probably has multiple analyst focusing on Ohio State just for the NC. Oregon, Clemson, Florida St, & Miami think they need more revenue to do the same.  I agree the rest need to realize what they are.

I think that’s part of why people are confused about B12 fan reactions now. There’s a lot questioning why we’re we think we’re better than the PAC when no one wants our teams. Most of it isn’t because we want the PAC to fail or think we’re better. It’s that the PAC failing lets us go “eff You” to Mandel & everyone else who said we were way worse & don’t matter. We know what we are & will still have fun watching our schools. I’m curious if UNC, Duke & Virginia will be the heroes you’re looking for.

I don’t want the PAC to fail, but Oregon & Washington don’t want to be there long term. I kind of buy into the thought of Cal & Stanford de-emphasizeing if athletes become employees in 5-10 years, but Cal still has $300MM+ debt on their stadium they don’t even start paying principle on for 30 years & wont have paid off for 90 years. If there can be a 12 team league out there & we can be a 12 team league, I’m all for that. However, I’d also really like us to take CU, Zona, ASU, Utah, Oregon St, Wazzou, then settle as a 16 team league when the ACC gets gutted & we let UCF, Cincy, WVU join them for free & we add 1 more.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 02:01:31 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34014 on: July 27, 2022, 02:04:18 PM »
 :lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34015 on: July 27, 2022, 02:37:09 PM »
I agree with Dax, I want us to merge with the PAC-12 completely.  Let's save them all.  I don't care if we have to take less revenue.  Seems like the right thing to do, and I suspect it would also seem that way to the rest of the country....and when it comes time to talk about who gets access/path to the playoffs, we can hope that it pays off.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34016 on: July 27, 2022, 02:40:20 PM »
That’s nice and all but I doubt the current big 12 schools leadership and the person they are paying to lead them feel that way. They are going to see an increasing gap in money to their schools between the P2 and want to maximize revenue.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #34017 on: July 27, 2022, 03:02:33 PM »
I agree with Dax, I want us to merge with the PAC-12 completely.  Let's save them all.  I don't care if we have to take less revenue.  Seems like the right thing to do, and I suspect it would also seem that way to the rest of the country....and when it comes time to talk about who gets access/path to the playoffs, we can hope that it pays off.
I'm OK saving OSU/WSU.  Stanford and Cal can save themselves.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34018 on: July 27, 2022, 03:07:30 PM »

If you want to save them all then don't take any schools. Wait for the B10 to finish their plundering and then pick up the remaining teams. A full on merger right now really doesn't do anything except fire all the people in one of the leagues HQ.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34019 on: July 27, 2022, 03:22:45 PM »

To be perfectly blunt.  I have in mind a list of 48 football playing schools, plus 16 basketball playing schools association. An 11 game football regular season, a 16 team NFL style playoff.  The championship game in a desirable but association centric location (for a minimum of 5 years).   All 64 schools make the b-ball post season.  32 team Eastern/Western region, with each regional being played in a single desirable location for 5 years, a good start:  Western Regional in Las Vegas (Thomas and Mack/T-Mobile Arena), Eastern in NYC (MSG/Barclay Center). 

For the football playing schools, there's a 33% chance of making the playoffs every year.   

Let Greg and Kevin go have their little party.  For a list of schools who can't let their ego come back to reality and thus they would clamor to get into Greg and Kevin's little party, fine.  If you want to be a mid level cog in that sausage maker just to collect a paycheck, knock yourself out.  If you need to win the tougher competition but we still don't ever win anything argument with your fellow cubicle mates, have it.

If the right schools come to their senses, it's a fantastic sell for football, and out does Kevin and Greg's little party for basketball, substantially more compelling for basketball in fact.  For a couple of schools in basketball, all of your previous sins are forgiven.   

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34020 on: July 27, 2022, 04:00:25 PM »

If you want to save them all then don't take any schools. Wait for the B10 to finish their plundering and then pick up the remaining teams. A full on merger right now really doesn't do anything except fire all the people in one of the leagues HQ.
I’m actually very OK with closing one of the two conference offices.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34021 on: July 27, 2022, 05:53:28 PM »

I’m actually very OK with closing one of the two conference offices.

Well, that has nothing to do with us and there are real people that have those jobs, that aren't particularly high paying. I don't think K-State having $55 million dollars a year instead of $50 million is worth dozens of people losing $60,000 a year jobs. I can't fathom that we're to the point where we're caping up for corporate mergers and layoffs so our football team can have 4 consultants instead of 3 when Alabama had 27 of them.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34022 on: July 27, 2022, 06:20:55 PM »
Guys, I’m over here trying to come up with ways to keep schools in a power conference and you are hitting me with objections to right sizing AP departments.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34023 on: July 27, 2022, 09:08:46 PM »
The best way is for them to keep their happy asses right where they are, especially with upcoming playoff expansion. They been seemingly content with being the fifth best conference for a decade now, not sure why they're getting all chesty now. Keep being 5th, there's nothing wrong with it. They still get the Rose Bowl, for now.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34024 on: July 28, 2022, 02:04:30 AM »
The academic side at Cal has had to infuse tens of millions of dollars into the athletic department to keep it solvent. The athletic department had to offload $254 million of its $400 million dollar stadium debt on to the academic side.  Right now Cal athletics is only paying the interest on the remaining debt.  In 2030 they are bound to start paying down the principal plus interest on the balance.

That payment alone eats up the majority of their current projected TV revenue every year.

Washington State also has huge debt problems.