Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4069916 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33925 on: July 22, 2022, 08:38:23 AM »
Keeler name sounds familiar. Vaguely remembering reading some online articles from him a long time ago. Looks like he upgraded his gig.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #33926 on: July 22, 2022, 10:53:35 AM »
Lots of smoke around Colorado and Arizona, hopefully they can snag the four corners and get to 16.
If 2 schools leave the PAC, all others will scramble to get out too. UO and UW would have no other options but to go anywhere else they can
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33927 on: July 22, 2022, 11:11:17 AM »
Lots of smoke around Colorado and Arizona, hopefully they can snag the four corners and get to 16.

I haven't seen anything close to a credible source say this. I think this smoke is just some kids shooting off some fireworks.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33928 on: July 22, 2022, 11:20:52 AM »

I haven't seen anything close to a credible source say this. I think this smoke is just some kids shooting off some fireworks.

The credible sources only shoot their shot when it’s official, you have to wade through the muck in realignment twitter to see which way the wind is blowing. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33929 on: July 22, 2022, 11:29:24 AM »
Another thing about Colorado is that they had people publicly expressing dissatisfaction with the Pac 12 even *before* USC/UCLA.

Now, their Board of Regents keeps scheduling new meetings every week or two.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33930 on: July 22, 2022, 11:39:20 AM »

The credible sources only shoot their shot when it’s official, you have to wade through the muck in realignment twitter to see which way the wind is blowing.

Yeah which is why until a similar USC/UCLA thing happen (or Tejas/OU last year) it's just fantasy
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33931 on: July 22, 2022, 11:57:57 AM »

Even in the Twitterverse standard of credible there is not anything that I would call a lot of smoke

I see this from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/SSN_BigXII/status/1550099036555943939?t=ben3uA2MZpyQ2nBgE_TKsQ&s=19

And whoever this yahoo is:

https://twitter.com/DBartSports/status/1550118935155986435?t=lkvK01cpP1wzhDesCxMFZQ&s=19

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33932 on: July 22, 2022, 12:26:36 PM »
The smoke I am looking for is when a credible source reports that the PAC had TV numbers from ESPN. That will be the first thing we hear about. The PAC is still in their 30 day exclusive negotiation window with ESPN and Fox which should end first week of Aug. I will be very surprised if we hear anything before then.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33933 on: July 22, 2022, 12:30:41 PM »

Yeah which is why until a similar USC/UCLA thing happen (or Tejas/OU last year) it's just fantasy

I mean that’s all this is really is fantasy.  It’s the reason the thread got as monstrous as it did because of wild speculation and rumor.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #33934 on: July 22, 2022, 12:32:10 PM »
I agree with the logic that if two more schools leave the PAC, any two schools, the others will scramble.  However, might be smart for Oregon and Washington to just stick around and rule a conference like kings.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #33935 on: July 22, 2022, 12:42:05 PM »
However, might be smart for Oregon and Washington to just stick around and rule a conference like kings.

Basically what our cats are doing with the big 12
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline fatdamon

• Combo-Fan
  • back farts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33936 on: July 22, 2022, 12:47:01 PM »
am i the only one who gets v. v. nervous every time they see this thread has been bumped to the top?
YAY FOOTBALL

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33937 on: July 22, 2022, 12:48:56 PM »
I know this belongs in the everyone hates us thread.  But there’s still a decided angle from media types with national stages to paint the B12 as dead man walking. 

Coupled with a general lack of understanding of how this all this conference business works . . . married to total lack of knowledge regarding the details and nuances of the business of college athletics in general.

It’s quite a witches brew of stupidity.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33938 on: July 22, 2022, 01:00:04 PM »
I don't think many people are forming hypotheses about what will happen based on random twitter dudes with "sources." I think they're mostly relying on reasonable estimates about what future conference payouts will likely be. And it's not crazy to think that people would have some kind of sense for this. We've been at this stuff for over a decade.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33939 on: July 22, 2022, 01:17:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/DanMurphyESPN/status/1550540607739031552?t=cVmRcaj7hbGJliJZ7dwTkQ&s=19

There has been questions about what The Big 2 would do with the extra money. This is what they are going to do

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33940 on: July 22, 2022, 02:13:57 PM »
If 2 schools leave the PAC, all others will scramble to get out too. UO and UW would have no other options but to go anywhere else they can

It also sounds like UO/UW would be fine with staying and holding all the power in a mash unit PAC, to get uneven revenue sharing from all the crap teams that are left. Do that until they get an invite (if they ever do) to the BIG or wherever.

But, if even one or two officially announce a move to the Big 12, it will be a crap show of movement that follows.

I'm just hoping we can at least get a CU to Big12 announcement before the PAC gets SDSU and Boise or something to get back to 12.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33941 on: July 22, 2022, 02:31:02 PM »
Any idea what the unequal revenue sharing looks like for the non UW/UO schools?  I have to wonder how they could keep the four corners from just moving to the Big 12 if they are going to get the shaft in revenue in a contract that doesn’t have Los Angeles market.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33942 on: July 22, 2022, 02:32:22 PM »
am i the only one who gets v. v. nervous every time they see this thread has been bumped to the top?

I felt this way for a long period of time, but now I'm just here to enjoy the band  :Cheers:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33943 on: July 22, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/DanMurphyESPN/status/1550540607739031552?t=cVmRcaj7hbGJliJZ7dwTkQ&s=19

There has been questions about what The Big 2 would do with the extra money. This is what they are going to do

That certainly might be an intent at some point, but there's a lot to happen between now and then, namely getting enough athletic directors and university presidents, in the two conferences least likely to have the power brokers actually pay students athletes, to agree to come off their cash.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33944 on: July 23, 2022, 12:27:00 AM »
Is it even possible we could get something like the CFA back? Could lawmakers get involved?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33945 on: July 23, 2022, 01:15:34 AM »
The band is Incred, however, cigars are problematic

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33946 on: July 23, 2022, 01:18:43 AM »
Is it even possible we could get something like the CFA back? Could lawmakers get involved?

That's what we kinda have now, but at some point, in the next 10 years, the CFP will formally take over running, to an extent, FBS football.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33947 on: July 23, 2022, 08:39:28 AM »

I don't see congress actually doing anything but I could see where the NLRB rules that college athletes are employees and then they form a union to collectively bargain with either the schools or conferences. 

I think this could happen today if there were an organizing force pushing to make this happen.

If they are officially recognized as an employee and form unions the NCAA rules around paying players become void instantly

https://www.nlrb.gov/news-outreach/news-story/nlrb-general-counsel-jennifer-abruzzo-issues-memo-on-employee-status-of

https://www.klgates.com/Student-Athletes-No-More-NLRB-Reinstates-Scope-of-NLRA-Section-7-to-Include-Players-at-Academic-Institutions-2-17-2022

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/student-athletes-file-nlrb-charges-4318002/

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33948 on: July 23, 2022, 09:05:28 AM »
If student athletes become university employees, does all their scholarship benefits become taxable?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33949 on: July 23, 2022, 09:23:16 AM »
If student athletes become university employees, does all their scholarship benefits become taxable?

People keep saying that's unknown, but it's seems very obviously that they wouldn't. Every university is filled with thousands of students on scholarship who are also university employees and their scholarships aren't taxable, I don't know why this would be different for athletes.