Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066309 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #28975 on: September 04, 2016, 11:36:06 PM »
Just say "Houston" out loud tho. It doesn't pass the ear test

Does not pass the sniff test either
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #28976 on: September 04, 2016, 11:37:37 PM »
Clarify something for me...when you all talk about the media market in Houston being so big, are we not already in that market?
No. Left with A&M

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28977 on: September 04, 2016, 11:46:37 PM »
Clarify something for me...when you all talk about the media market in Houston being so big, are we not already in that market?
No. Left with A&M

Will be interesting to compare the ratings from the OU game with the Texas/ND game for the Houston market.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28978 on: September 04, 2016, 11:48:33 PM »
That would be dumb. Not competing with anyone on a Sunday night and it's rough ridin' Texas/ND.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #28979 on: September 05, 2016, 12:05:40 AM »
No. Left with A&M

Will be interesting to compare the ratings from the OU game with the Texas/ND game for the Houston market.

It's not apples to apples.  It was the only game on today, in prime time, on a network.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28980 on: September 05, 2016, 12:08:19 AM »
Let his agenda play out. Can't wait to see where it's going.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28981 on: September 05, 2016, 12:54:35 AM »
No. Left with A&M

It's not apples to apples.  It was the only game on today, in prime time, on a network.

On the same network as OU/UH. It isn't a perfect comparison but it's closer than you and fanning are willing to admit. No it wasn't stand alone but there was only one other Big 12 game in that time slot and none of the other major schools in Texas were playing then either. The freaking ESPN game was Michigan vs. Hawaii. The UT ND game will pull a better number but if you want a cleaner comparison I am quite sure that the Red River Rivalry will pull a number pretty competitive with OU/UH.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28982 on: September 05, 2016, 01:02:29 AM »
Houston, has a lot going for it but the bottom line is that they don't have a lot to offer the conference other than someone else to move ahead of OSU, Tech, KSU, KU, Baylor, and ISU in getting second tier Texas kids. It really isn't about them per se but just where we are with all of this. Look at the biggest prizes in the last round of expansion; Nebraska, Maryland, and A&M, have they given anything to the Big 10 and SEC other than a number?

This is probably all moot anyway because it doesn't seem likely that they have the eight votes they need to get an invite anyway.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28983 on: September 05, 2016, 01:12:46 AM »
No. Left with A&M

On the same network as OU/UH. It isn't a perfect comparison but it's closer than you and fanning are willing to admit. No it wasn't stand alone but there was only one other Big 12 game in that time slot and none of the other major schools in Texas were playing then either. The freaking ESPN game was Michigan vs. Hawaii. The UT ND game will pull a better number but if you want a cleaner comparison I am quite sure that the Red River Rivalry will pull a number pretty competitive with OU/UH.
flipping over to the WVU game was kinda depressing. Big matchup, but you couldn't tell, because the noise of the OU/Houston game was nothing to compare. Great cfb scene.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28984 on: September 05, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »
No. Left with A&M

All good points. Another interesting comparison will be the ratings for Houston's next game. How many of the viewers on Saturday were there because of OU? If Houston is really that big of a draw in the city of Houston, they should continue to have good ratings, I would assume. Maybe not incredible ratings like this, but still really good ones. Otherwise, don't you have to conclude that#3 OU was the primary driver for the ratings?

Well, I just looked at their schedule. The next game is vs Lamar, so not really a fair comparison. However, their following game is vs Cincinnati, another potential Big 12 school. It's a Thurs game, so the only game in town. If Houston is a good draw, should we expect some amazing ratings for that game?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28985 on: September 05, 2016, 08:47:19 AM »
That OU-Houston number is insane.  The highest rated game in 2015 was Bama/A&M at 8.5.  OU/Houston was a confluence of time/date/circumstance that won't ever be recreated for Houston.  UT/ND is probably going to blow that 8.5 out of the water too.

The RRR this year is going to be a bad comparison.  Fox is putting it on FS1.  Last year on ABC it was a 7.2.  That's a lot of ground to make up on FS1.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:50:43 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28986 on: September 05, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »
No. Left with A&M

There were three separate Big Ten games on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. WVU/MU was on FS1.  On top of that, it was a noon game, and those don't draw as well compared to prime time games.

Also, consider how many people were traveling to a game on the first Saturday of the season, at all levels, and how many people were tailgating at that time. The fact that the game crushed streaming numbers indicates that people who had access to the game shows a fraction of people who would have watched had they been home.

Then look at the UT/ND game that was holding the time slot that Sunday Night Football will occupy every week going forward with zero competition on a night where most people don't have to work the next day.

Houston + a team with a pulse gets awesome ratings in Houston. Always. Considering the highest rated game in Houston the last few years has been some SEC game, this almost guarantees that won't happen. There are tons of Big 12 alums in the area that will enhance their attendance and greatly increase our print/TV exposure. Which is critical because it's the largest market in our footprint, and it's a market we have to own. Like the Big Ten owns Chicago, the SEC owns Atlanta, and the Pac 12 owns LA, we must own Houston. For a number of reasons. And the fact of the matter is that we don't. No one truly does. But evidence shows we have a good shot if we bring them in.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28987 on: September 05, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
Houston, has a lot going for it but the bottom line is that they don't have a lot to offer the conference other than someone else to move ahead of OSU, Tech, KSU, KU, Baylor, and ISU in getting second tier Texas kids. It really isn't about them per se but just where we are with all of this. Look at the biggest prizes in the last round of expansion; Nebraska, Maryland, and A&M, have they given anything to the Big 10 and SEC other than a number?

This is probably all moot anyway because it doesn't seem likely that they have the eight votes they need to get an invite anyway.

Texas wants their Houston campus. Taking Houston is the likely compromise needed to get through the political hurdles. If Texas wants them, they will have the votes.

Unless we all want Texas pissed off it lost its billion dollar project in Houston because Dana Dimel and Mike Gundy are afraid of competing against a team they're already losing recruits to, which makes sense because they're both pretty lazy.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28988 on: September 05, 2016, 11:05:07 AM »
ND/Texas did an 11.5 in Houston.  OU/Houston pulled a better number at 11:00am than watched Texas/ND in primetime as the sole game that day.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28989 on: September 05, 2016, 11:09:08 AM »
That OU-Houston number is insane.  The highest rated game in 2015 was Bama/A&M at 8.5.  OU/Houston was a confluence of time/date/circumstance that won't ever be recreated for Houston.  UT/ND is probably going to blow that 8.5 out of the water too.

The RRR this year is going to be a bad comparison.  Fox is putting it on FS1.  Last year on ABC it was a 7.2.  That's a lot of ground to make up on FS1.

I didn't know that Fox has the RRR now.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28990 on: September 05, 2016, 11:12:44 AM »

I didn't know that Fox has the RRR now.

Fox had the 1st pick in the weekend draft this year.  They also got 1st pick in the BigTen and have Michigan/Ohio State.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28991 on: September 05, 2016, 11:14:36 AM »
No. Left with A&M

There were three separate Big Ten games on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. WVU/MU was on FS1.  On top of that, it was a noon game, and those don't draw as well compared to prime time games.

Also, consider how many people were traveling to a game on the first Saturday of the season, at all levels, and how many people were tailgating at that time. The fact that the game crushed streaming numbers indicates that people who had access to the game shows a fraction of people who would have watched had they been home.

Then look at the UT/ND game that was holding the time slot that Sunday Night Football will occupy every week going forward with zero competition on a night where most people don't have to work the next day.

Houston + a team with a pulse gets awesome ratings in Houston. Always. Considering the highest rated game in Houston the last few years has been some SEC game, this almost guarantees that won't happen. There are tons of Big 12 alums in the area that will enhance their attendance and greatly increase our print/TV exposure. Which is critical because it's the largest market in our footprint, and it's a market we have to own. Like the Big Ten owns Chicago, the SEC owns Atlanta, and the Pac 12 owns LA, we must own Houston. For a number of reasons. And the fact of the matter is that we don't. No one truly does. But evidence shows we have a good shot if we bring them in.

Those big 10 games have no relevance in Houston. Northwestern vs. Western Michigan would pull a number in Houston that Baylor vs. Whoever the hell they played would get in Chicago and that's a couple of thousand. That was a rating in Houston not a national number, thats also why Hamburgular's numbers are a bit misleading because of course the national rating of those other games will be lower than a local rating of two locally relevant schools.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28992 on: September 05, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
I've confused myself.  Why are my numbers misleading?  They're all Houston numbers.  I didn't specify because we were talking Houston numbers, but I should have.  I'm not sure if others are reading them as Houston or national.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:21:21 AM by TheHamburglar »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28993 on: September 05, 2016, 11:19:46 AM »

Texas wants their Houston campus. Taking Houston is the likely compromise needed to get through the political hurdles. If Texas wants them, they will have the votes.

Unless we all want Texas pissed off it lost its billion dollar project in Houston because Dana Dimel and Mike Gundy are afraid of competing against a team they're already losing recruits to, which makes sense because they're both pretty lazy.

They want Texas to advocate for them, the other university presidents aren't going to go against what their athletic department may feel is best for them because of Texas state politics. Yeah, West Virginia is going to vote for another Texas school because UT is in some insular political rhetoric battle, come on man.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28994 on: September 05, 2016, 11:20:42 AM »
MIR, I should have been more specific.  All my numbers are Houston only.  That's what I was using because that's what we were taking about.

Oh wow, thanks. Where did you get the isolated Houston numbers, SBJ?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28995 on: September 05, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »
MIR, I should have been more specific.  All my numbers are Houston only.  That's what I was using because that's what we were taking about.

Oh wow, thanks. Where did you get the isolated Houston numbers, SBJ?

Chuck Carlton's Twitter and that article that came out awhile back on the 2015 top 20 in Houston.

I changed my original message because I went back and read the thread and realized I was vague, sorry.

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/734942640353902593
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:29:01 AM by TheHamburglar »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28996 on: September 05, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »
So it looks like there is some room for penetration in the market a bit. You'd have to think that all of their conference games would end up on that list but they would just bump those Big 12 games at the bottom. Also notice that there are no FS1 games on that list and UH would have plenty of those if they joined the Big 12.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28997 on: September 05, 2016, 03:08:40 PM »
So it looks like there is some room for penetration in the market a bit. You'd have to think that all of their conference games would end up on that list but they would just bump those Big 12 games at the bottom. Also notice that there are no FS1 games on that list and UH would have plenty of those if they joined the Big 12.

It depends if they're ranked or not. If there's a chance for good ratings if a ranked Houston plays UT, TCU, OU, OSU, etc. 

Fox may like having Houston on FS1 to give them lift.

If we expand, it's for two reasons. One, we think it makes the conference stronger. Two, it makes us more money. If the goal is to get better programs in the conference to raise our competitiveness, UH will win and win fast. They won't have a five year window to grow like Cincy would need. They'd be competitive day one and have a good chance of staying there.

If there is a chance at getting more Houston exposure, and more Houston eyeballs, this gives us a better chance of not seeing our TV deals suffer at the next renewal. They probably won't boost us, but they might not hurt us.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28998 on: September 05, 2016, 09:32:07 PM »
Cincinnati has released very preliminary renderings of the Fifth Third Arena renovations.  Kind of neat.

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082515aaa.html

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:44:51 PM by Panjandrum »