Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4067676 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #27275 on: January 15, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »
Conference (in)stability is a self fulfilling prophecy. If any random 10 teams from the Big10 or SEC were standalone,  they would be fine because they would galvanize. The problem with this conference is that we don't tell everyone to eff off and simply be proud of what we are.

Don't you think it is ironic that every league that UT has been associated with has had instability problems?

UT doesn't know how to play nice, and they foolishly pursue short-term self interest to the detriment of long-term self-interest.  By-God, They Are Texas.
I think there are a lot of schools butt hurt they aren't at the level of Texas
Second highest in AD budget and highest paid per year in revenue.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27276 on: January 15, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »

FYI K-State received $29.97 million in total conference distributions and Tier III Revenue in FY 2015.

K-State's Tier III contract payout was $4.045 million in FY 2015.

And didn't SEC/Big 10 schools receive around $31/32 million total in the same time frame?

So what you are saying is OU made as much or more than the SEC/ Big 10 schools

Sent from my Tapatalk using iPhone

Yes, I may be misremembering, but w/ their Tier III payouts, I believe OU(8-10mil)/UT(15mil)/KU(6mil) +25mil; all received more than the SEC/Big 10 schools.
You are correct.

And we're only behind the SEC/big 10 by $1M here at little old K-State, which frankly I could blow my nose and find that much change. Waaaay better than being in the ACC or PAC. Our share was actually $26M according to Forbes. ACC and PAC didn't get over $20M, but their networks helped with a couple million. To put it in perspective, every 10 years, we make a Vanier Family Football complex more than a school in the ACC or PAC, where as a big 10/SEC school makes a rowing facility more than we do in the same time period.
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27277 on: January 15, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »
Didn't read the article, but does Boren suggest which 2 teams he'd like to add?
There just aren't many options outside of ND, which isn't going to happen, that will add enough value to the Big 12 imo.

“We have been, as a group, looking at expansion, discussing expansion, and we have had outside consultants helping us look at what schools are the possible best fit,” Boren said. “So there are more than two out there that could be a good fit. There may be six or seven, and we could pick from that group the right two. We have to be very careful. We don’t want to go out and get Okefenokee A&M or something just to have a name.

“We’ll look at the fan base, we’ll look at the size of their programs, we’ll look at the academics of the institutions. We’ll look at them comprehensively as to which is the best fit. And also we’ll consider geography to a certain degree.”

The inside joke might end up being too obscure, but I suddenly want Okefenokee A&M branded athletic gear.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27278 on: January 15, 2016, 03:43:29 PM »
Conference (in)stability is a self fulfilling prophecy. If any random 10 teams from the Big10 or SEC were standalone,  they would be fine because they would galvanize. The problem with this conference is that we don't tell everyone to eff off and simply be proud of what we are.

Don't you think it is ironic that every league that UT has been associated with has had instability problems?

UT doesn't know how to play nice, and they foolishly pursue short-term self interest to the detriment of long-term self-interest.  By-God, They Are Texas.
Don't you think we're the same way, if not, you're a fool.

We do know how to play nice.  More relevantly, Michigan, OSU, and Florida do.  They are in same position as UT, but have had stability, conference strength, and conference growth.  I think after the latest implosion of the Big12, Ut somewhat learned their lesson: A strong conference is in the long term interest of UT. But they learned it dlow, and it was at a sunstantial price.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27279 on: January 15, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
I very much agree with this.  So ridiculous for Mizzou to say "THERE'S SO MUCH INSTABILITY THAT'S WHY WE'RE LEAVING" -- hey dumbasses, who do you think is causing this instability?
The instability was caused by talks between Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, aTm, Tech and the PAC about ditching the Big 12.  Mizzou would have been insane not to look for a safe landing spot.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27280 on: January 15, 2016, 04:33:50 PM »
I totally forget Missouri used to be in the Big 12. It is by far the hardest former member to recall.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27281 on: January 15, 2016, 07:07:55 PM »
Yea CU for sure for me,  but I live in kc so I do get reminded of them because of geography.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27282 on: January 16, 2016, 12:28:06 AM »
Not in the KC area, so maybe that has to do with it. I guess I only think of Ferguson and the walkout when I think of Mizzou and forget they have an FB program.

The Big Train

« Reply #27283 on: January 16, 2016, 12:32:23 AM »
Not in the KC area, so maybe that has to do with it. I guess I only think of Ferguson and the walkout when I think of Mizzou and forget they have an FB program.

You must not follow college sports then, Mizzou has done pretty good in the best conference in the country since they moved.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27284 on: January 16, 2016, 07:57:42 AM »
Win the north!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27285 on: January 16, 2016, 08:55:19 AM »

You must not follow college sports then, Mizzou has done pretty good in the best conference in the country since they moved.

I seem to remember them trying to spoil Auburn's NCG hopes one season. Have they done anything else?

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #27286 on: January 16, 2016, 09:10:36 AM »

I seem to remember them trying to spoil Auburn's NCG hopes one season. Have they done anything else?

They are 1-14 vs SEC teams with winning conference records since joining the conference.

The Big Train

« Reply #27287 on: January 16, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »
They almost won the east 2 years ago :dunno:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #27288 on: January 16, 2016, 10:39:43 AM »

The SEC East is not a good division.  Bragging about winning that is like bragging about winning the old Big 12 North or the ACC Coastal.

The Big Train

« Reply #27289 on: January 16, 2016, 10:41:36 AM »

The SEC East is not a good division.  Bragging about winning that is like bragging about winning the old Big 12 North or the ACC Coastal.

But it's the SEC SEC SEC panj

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27290 on: January 16, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »

When Mizou won the East in 2013, three teams finished ranked and two of them finished top 5.  The entire Big 12 finished with three ranked teams, none in the top 5.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27291 on: January 16, 2016, 09:15:48 PM »

When Mizou won the East in 2013, three teams finished ranked and two of them finished top 5.  The entire Big 12 finished with three ranked teams, none in the top 5.
This post is so Missoura
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27292 on: January 17, 2016, 05:05:04 AM »

So.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27293 on: January 17, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »
MethU hasn't won a conference title in nearly 50 years so they build the scant few near misses over that time into Herculean achievements against the most formidable odds. 

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #27294 on: January 17, 2016, 08:36:50 AM »

That was at the height of their overrating.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27295 on: January 17, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »
yes, we all agree the SEC east is/was down, but they did win it. so that's pretty good

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27296 on: January 17, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
MethU hasn't won a conference title in nearly 50 years so they build the scant few near misses over that time into Herculean achievements against the most formidable odds.

more of this  :love:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27297 on: February 01, 2016, 08:15:36 PM »
The Big 12 Conference will seriously discuss expansion at its conference meetings this week, reports the Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy.

A source told DeCourcy that BYU remains attractive but has "obstacles that appear to be too considerable," including an unwillingness to compete on Sundays. The Big 12 will reportedly consider Cincinnati, Connecticut, Central Florida and South Florida. University of Oklahoma president David Boren has long lobbied for the league to expand, arguing that the Big 12 is at a disadvantage to rival leagues with 12-15 schools. A recent rule change does allow 10-team leagues to hold a championship game, which lessens some of the pressure to add. Stay tuned.

Source: Sporting News Feb 1 - 4:11 PM

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27298 on: February 01, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
Yuck

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27299 on: February 01, 2016, 08:31:39 PM »
Dis-gust-ing
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite