Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068921 times)

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26725 on: October 01, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »
I really don't mind 11:00 a.m. games. Early drinking/tailgating with delicious breakfast. A quick 'Cats win, then can watch games the rest of the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26726 on: October 01, 2015, 11:49:13 PM »
I love the early kickoff games. If we lose, I'm out the door and getting lunch then the beach by 12:30. If we win, I hang at home, have a few beers with :bigtoke: watching football all day.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26727 on: October 02, 2015, 12:32:36 AM »
The 11 AM kickoffs are nationally televised marquee matchups. I'm sure most of the fans would be willing to give a few of those up for later kickoffs, but I doubt OU's administration wants to trade a nationally televised game for regional coverage.

They're telling you they do though. They've had 8 out of 20 home games at 11 AM since 2012, I'm sure they would be good with at least the shitty non-cons being at night. They get the same money from the tv deal wetter they kick off at 11am on FOX or 7PM on FSN.

The big 12 has very few regional games, and weirdly those are mostly ABC night games

ABC only has one primetime regional split per season now and I'm guessing that is a contractual thing with the Big 12 because we're the only conference that does it. K-State has had the ABC national split each of the previous two seasons. I don't know if the FSN games are considered national or regional, they have national availability but not all of the RSN's carry them.

Sidenote, OU has appeared on ABC's Saturday Night Football more than any other Big 12 team and only USC has appeared more across college football. Weirdly enough, Texas Tech has 3 more Saturday Night Football appearances than K-State, OSU has four more.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26728 on: October 02, 2015, 08:39:26 AM »
I don't blame them for being a little upset, but their list of little bitches is getting quite annoying.   They need to take care of their own business.   

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26729 on: October 02, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
I don't blame them for being a little upset, but their list of little bitches is getting quite annoying.   They need to take care of their own business.

they need to win football games and conference titles.  same with texas. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26730 on: October 02, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
ohio state like always plays at 11 am

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26731 on: October 02, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
But they aren't insecure butt hurt losers.

I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26732 on: October 02, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »

Time for them to move to the Pac 12, or even the SEC. At least those games are at 12 EST instead of crappy 11 CST.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26733 on: October 02, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »

Time for them to move to the Pac 12, or even the SEC. At least those games are at 12 EST instead of crappy 11 CST.

Someone from the east coast needs to get on there and be like "what are you talking about, your game was on at noon?"

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26734 on: October 02, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »

Someone from the east coast needs to get on there and be like "what are you talking about, your game was on at noon?"

Im pretty pumped for our 4pm game this week, I can feel comfortable getting sloshed and no there is plenty of time to party afterwards.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26735 on: October 02, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »

What's your point? It's clearly a preference, OSU has only played 17 night home games in the history of that stadium. LSU has a preference for playing at 7PM, they whine when they have to play 2:30 CBS games, the conference obliges them for the most part.

I hope this is something they went to the conference with a while ago before whining to the media though.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26736 on: October 02, 2015, 11:29:30 AM »
Bill used to freak out when we did not have a 1:10 kick

.........now college kids don't even know what that is...
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26737 on: October 02, 2015, 11:42:36 AM »

What's your point? It's clearly a preference, OSU has only played 17 night home games in the history of that stadium.

i suppose columbus is an exception to your rule of 11 am kicks hurting local businesses

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26738 on: October 02, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
Oklahoma actually didn't say anything incendiary in there.  The writer Tremel did, and he's a known dumbass.

Castiglione said that in a future television negotiation, he might advocate taking less money in exchange for kickoff considerations. He didn't say this, but I'll bet he also would advocate every conference school scheduling a Notre Dame, or Tennessee, or Ohio State, if everyone wants an equitable piece of the pie.

“Those television networks have paid us a lot of money for those games,” OSU athletic director Mike Holder said. “All of us knew the circumstances we have dived into. Someone's got to do it. I've got to hand it to our fans; everybody's been very cooperative. I think we've made the best of a less than appealing situation.

“At the end of the day, everyone understands this is the process of accepting the money from the television networks. It's pointless to complain.”

If Barry actually believes they'd get a better shake in any other conference, he's dumber than I think he is, and that's setting a pretty low bar already.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26739 on: October 02, 2015, 12:33:23 PM »
If everyone wants 1 PM and 6 PM kickoffs again, we can go back to the old model where we make peanuts on TV dollars, and anyone who isn't at the game can listen to it on Wyattvision.

Every single one of those AD's sat in the room when Fox backed up the Brinks truck.  Fox is overpaying OU for their Tier 3 rights on FSN Southwest, so pardon me while I shed a tear as OU makes the second highest TV rights revenues in all of college athletics.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26740 on: October 02, 2015, 12:44:28 PM »
I seem to remember OU and bobby bitching about too many late games, particularly on the road a couple of years ago.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26741 on: October 02, 2015, 12:49:12 PM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26742 on: October 02, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »
pretty excited for the 3pm KO tomorrow

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26743 on: October 02, 2015, 02:01:32 PM »

What's your point? It's clearly a preference, OSU has only played 17 night home games in the history of that stadium.

i suppose columbus is an exception to your rule of 11 am kicks hurting local businesses

First of all 12PM. But why are you being dense about this. If the school, fanbase, and merchants prefer noon games and they have a routine; starting to tailgate at 9 am isn't a big deal because it's what they do. If OU had a history and preference of playing 11am games, I'm guessing Campus Corner wouldn't be a ghost town 90 minutes before kickoff.

I would also assume that OU has more fans driving in from 30 minutes or more than tOSU does, which makes an obvious difference.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26744 on: October 02, 2015, 02:09:13 PM »

First of all 12PM. But why are you being dense about this. If the school, fanbase, and merchants prefer noon games and they have a routine; starting to tailgate at 9 am isn't a big deal because it's what they do. If OU had a history and preference of playing 11am games, I'm guessing Campus Corner wouldn't be a ghost town 90 minutes before kickoff.

I would also assume that OU has more fans driving in from 30 minutes or more than tOSU does, which makes an obvious difference.

Hey man, you can't complain about always getting 11:00 games, and then say you don't have a history of 11:00 games like tOSU has.

Also, I'm pretty sure the previous article makes it seem like early games are not tOSU's preference.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26745 on: October 02, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »

yes this is a big factor. i wasn't being facetious about columbus. it's a huge city and is definitely an exception to the rule, if we're comparing it to manhattan/stillwater/waco, etc.

i don't agree with you about the history making a difference.

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26746 on: October 02, 2015, 05:29:59 PM »
I think OU has a valid concern.  The networks have decided that the 11:00 slot is best for OU because they're a good lead-in and a safe ratings play for that slot.  It's appears this is the TV partners ongoing plan for them, so they are trying to get out in front of it.  The 11:00 AM slot sucks for them.  They have a sizable portion of ticket holders that have to leave at 7:00am just to be in their seats by kickoff.   

They have a disgruntled fan base for a lot of reasons right now.  I know everyone says "win like you're supposed to and it fixes itself."  But that's bullshit.  No program wins 10+ per year every year, especially with 9 conference games and no CCG.  Their fans just don't care for TCU, Baylor, WVU, or KSU games as their big games.  We'll probably play top-5 teams in Baylor and TCU at home.  For us those games won't have the big time atmosphere of a top-5 Texas, Nebraska, Colorado, or A&M.  Problem is, they have no hope for the possibility of a big, top-5 atmosphere game outside maybe OSU.  They used to have that possibly in A&M, Nebraska, and to a small extent Colorado. 

There are systemic on-going issues for fan excitement for OU in the Big12.  Yes, they played a large role in creating the situation for themselves, but that doesn't make it suck less for the fans.  Saying "win 11 every year in a 9-conf game, no CCG conference" isn't a reasonable, on-going solution for any program.  It just feels like a "something's got to give" situation with them and their fans.

I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26747 on: October 02, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »
I have a hard time believing that 11am kickoffs hurt the economy. Fans tend to stick around and party all afternoon if the team wins.

The bigger issue is OU has lost several home games the past 4 years, including 3 last year.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26748 on: October 02, 2015, 05:50:51 PM »
I have a hard time believing that 11am kickoffs hurt the economy. Fans tend to stick around and party all afternoon if the team wins.

The bigger issue is OU has lost several home games the past 4 years, including 3 last year.
2000-2010: 2 home losses

2011-present: 6 home losses

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26749 on: October 02, 2015, 06:00:51 PM »
They will get a few less 11 a.m games going forward and all will be well.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best