Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068169 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26525 on: July 31, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »
Really tho, if people like Boren could just shut up and wait this out, the Big 12 will be in a good spot, and an even better spot for OU and UT. The playoffs absolutely will expand. Right now, every year some power conference is going to be pissed. The playoffs all but exclude smaller schools. And there's much more money to be made.

I see the solution (as do many, many others) as to simply make it 8 teams. All major conferences are happy since their respective champion is in. I believe they'll make it so the committee must take at least 1 lesser conference team to make college football inclusive. That leaves 2 at large teams. The Big 12 will be a nice place to be when you only have to be the best of 10 vs best of 12 or 14 (16 by then?).

If at that point the Big 12 wants to grab a couple schools, we might find them a little more receptive in that scenario.

Boren won't STFU because he's old, and wants to leave a legacy of what will look like, at the time, an upgrade in conference membership for OU.  He's posturing now so he can pull OU out of the conference later.   It's really that simple.  OU fans are tired of traditional doormats like K-State and Baylor beating them with reasonable consistency, and have the deluded belief that things will improve with a change in scenery.

worked for Missouri.  just sayin

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26526 on: July 31, 2015, 04:14:48 PM »
Really tho, if people like Boren could just shut up and wait this out, the Big 12 will be in a good spot, and an even better spot for OU and UT. The playoffs absolutely will expand. Right now, every year some power conference is going to be pissed. The playoffs all but exclude smaller schools. And there's much more money to be made.

I see the solution (as do many, many others) as to simply make it 8 teams. All major conferences are happy since their respective champion is in. I believe they'll make it so the committee must take at least 1 lesser conference team to make college football inclusive. That leaves 2 at large teams. The Big 12 will be a nice place to be when you only have to be the best of 10 vs best of 12 or 14 (16 by then?).

If at that point the Big 12 wants to grab a couple schools, we might find them a little more receptive in that scenario.

Boren won't STFU because he's old, and wants to leave a legacy of what will look like, at the time, an upgrade in conference membership for OU.  He's posturing now so he can pull OU out of the conference later.   It's really that simple.  OU fans are tired of traditional doormats like K-State and Baylor beating them with reasonable consistency, and have the deluded belief that things will improve with a change in scenery.

Extremely small sample size. Nobody can say with a straight face that they will consistently be the top of that division. The timing has been good for them, no doubt.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26527 on: July 31, 2015, 04:47:04 PM »

Missouri has been no more successful in the SEC than they have in the Big 12.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #26528 on: July 31, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »

Missouri has been no more successful in the SEC than they have in the Big 12.

Not really.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26529 on: July 31, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »

Everybody is assuming that Boren wants to leave because he talked about expansion.  What if Boren talking about expansion was really just because he wants the Big 12 expand?  I mean, I follow all the theories that everyone is putting out there about OU.  But isn't it possible that Boren just really wants the Big 12 to expand because he views that as good for OU and the conference?  If he wanted to leave, wouldn't they just do it?

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26530 on: July 31, 2015, 10:11:37 PM »
Ou fans say they hate their Big 12 schedule. They're bored with it.

Leaving the Big 12 is difficult with a GOR hanging over their heads. Boren is creating a context where he can justify trying to break the GOR.

He says we need to expand and add a CCG. We need to get rid of the LHN and form a Big 12 network. In a couple of years when neither of those things has come anywhere close to happening, OU can try to justify leaving by saying the Big 12 is holding them back.

The Big Train

« Reply #26531 on: July 31, 2015, 10:11:55 PM »
i dont think you understand how all of this works steffy

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26532 on: July 31, 2015, 10:51:48 PM »
If Boren didn't directly complain about the longhorn network, I'd give steffys point some credence.  They're unhappy, although it has more to do with their losses than who's giving it to them. They're just too dense to realize that winning is fun and losing sucks.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 1863

• Combo-Fan
  • John Currie is a beautiful human bean.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26533 on: August 01, 2015, 12:55:29 AM »
I don't know if OU fans are actually saying they're bored with their schedules but it's dumb because

A) I didn't hear this a year or two ago (when we also had added some new teams to the conference). So clearly this is a new problem if they actually feel this way. Not sure if this is because they are tired of losing, just parrot Boren or some other reason. (Again, I haven't really heard this from OU fans in the real world.)

B) unless you're going to switch conferences every 10 years you're also going to get tired of playing teams like Iowa or Northwestern every year just as much as playing Iowa State or KU.

C) If your schedule is boring   add better non conference games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26534 on: August 01, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
You could add two new teams, recreate the old South division, give OU four non-con games where they could schedule Notre Dame and Florida State, and they'd still complain.

As others have said, it's a combination of two things: they're losing, and they don't have a pretty network among them 15 million a year.

I don't think Boren wants to move.  Even OU knows they have a sweet deal right now.  I think they just want to change the conditions. Expanding requires a network.  A network requires Texas.  The easiest way to get rid of the LHN is to repurpose it as a Big 12 Network.  OU may see the LHN as a long term obstacle that will be hard to overcome if they can't do something about it now. They may be willing to sacrifice a couple million a year if it means they get the same overall deal as their primary rival.  You never know their primary motivation.

OU can only go where OSU can go. That's the same for KU and us.  People scoff at that, but when you talk to people that actually know, they'll tell you it's true.

OU won't leave before the GOR is up.  They're trying to instigate change now.

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26535 on: August 01, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »
You could add two new teams, recreate the old South division, give OU four non-con games where they could schedule Notre Dame and Florida State, and they'd still complain.

As others have said, it's a combination of two things: they're losing, and they don't have a pretty network among them 15 million a year.

I don't think Boren wants to move.  Even OU knows they have a sweet deal right now.  I think they just want to change the conditions. Expanding requires a network.  A network requires Texas.  The easiest way to get rid of the LHN is to repurpose it as a Big 12 Network.  OU may see the LHN as a long term obstacle that will be hard to overcome if they can't do something about it now. They may be willing to sacrifice a couple million a year if it means they get the same overall deal as their primary rival.  You never know their primary motivation.

OU can only go where OSU can go. That's the same for KU and us.  People scoff at that, but when you talk to people that actually know, they'll tell you it's true.

OU won't leave before the GOR is up.  They're trying to instigate change now.

This is a great point. People forget what Kenneth Star did when Baylor was going to be left behind and they are a private school for christs sakes. The legal pressure they threatened to apply was one of the things that caused everyone to slow down and basically think things over and decide to stay. KU/K-State and OU/OSU are much more tangled politically/culturally/probably even financially being public institutions.

From the 2011 Dallas Morning News....

How many millions are we talking about? Let’s say three Big 12 members sued for the difference between what each would make annually with the current and pending TV contracts (around $17 million) and what each would make, say, in Conference USA (approximately $1.5 million).

Now multiply that $45 million or so by 13, the length of the Fox contract. I’d do it, but my calculator doesn’t carry that many zeroes.

Frankly, I have no idea if a Baylor lawsuit could hold up in court. I don’t even know if it gets that far. For that matter, it seems like Baylor should have less of a problem with A&M than it does Oklahoma. The Aggies did everything by the book. Even if they leave, the Big 12 could survive as a nine-team league. But if Oklahoma and Oklahoma State defect for the Pac-12, it seriously jeopardizes Dan Beebe’s 401(k).

Just so you know it’s nothing personal: Sources indicate Baylor would sue the Pac-12, too.

Good luck trying to avoid the legal hell storm that will ensue if the other large institution in the state gets left behind costing them what over time would be hundreds of millions of dollars.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26536 on: August 01, 2015, 10:28:47 AM »
I don't know if OU fans are actually saying they're bored with their schedules but it's dumb because

A) I didn't hear this a year or two ago (when we also had added some new teams to the conference). So clearly this is a new problem if they actually feel this way. Not sure if this is because they are tired of losing, just parrot Boren or some other reason. (Again, I haven't really heard this from OU fans in the real world.)

B) unless you're going to switch conferences every 10 years you're also going to get tired of playing teams like Iowa or Northwestern every year just as much as playing Iowa State or KU.

Their home schedule this year consists of Akron, Tulsa, West Virginia, Tech, Iowa State, TCU.  One Big 8 team...and its Iowa State.  They SHOULD hate their schedule.

Texas has Rice, Cal, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Tech.  Their fans are just as unhappy, but Texas has added some big names for upcoming seasons.

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26537 on: August 01, 2015, 01:51:47 PM »

Probably bored with the fact that they never play texas at home and have to drive 3+ hours to get to that game every year. I would be to, it would get old after a while
@Trogdor_gE

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26538 on: August 02, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »

You might be right.  But, consider this:  What would Boren say if he wanted OU to stay in the Big 12 but thought the league needed two more teams?

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26539 on: August 02, 2015, 11:52:30 AM »
Ou fans say they hate their Big 12 schedule. They're bored with it.

Leaving the Big 12 is difficult with a GOR hanging over their heads. Boren is creating a context where he can justify trying to break the GOR.

He says we need to expand and add a CCG. We need to get rid of the LHN and form a Big 12 network. In a couple of years when neither of those things has come anywhere close to happening, OU can try to justify leaving by saying the Big 12 is holding them back.

There are two types of "justifications":  legal and political.  Boren's points are not a legal justification for breaking the gor.  Boren only needs to make political justifications to power players within ou; he doesn't need to do that through the media.

I legitimately believe ou wants to expand.  I don't think this is just a ploy to justify moving.  If it is that important to OU, we should just add two more teams.  UT might not like it, but who cares:  they aren't going anywhere.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26540 on: August 02, 2015, 12:36:02 PM »

You might be right.  But, consider this:  What would Boren say if he wanted OU to stay in the Big 12 but thought the league needed two more teams?
I dunno but he'd probably say it to league officials instead if whining to the media

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26541 on: August 02, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »

I dunno but he'd probably say it to league officials instead if whining to the media

Whining to the media is more effective.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26542 on: August 05, 2015, 11:49:08 AM »
Would not have guessed that the Big 12 is the least financially successful in basketball among the P5 conferences:
http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ncaa-which-power-5-conference-brings-in-the-most-money.html/?ref=YF

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26543 on: August 05, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »
Would not have guessed that the Big 12 is the least financially successful in basketball among the P5 conferences:
http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ncaa-which-power-5-conference-brings-in-the-most-money.html/?ref=YF
generating revenue doesn't equal financial success.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline EMAWforever

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26544 on: August 05, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
Per member payout BIG 12 is second overall.  Not a surprise about BBall though.  The biggest fan base outside of T-shirt KU fans of Texas and OU don't care.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26545 on: August 05, 2015, 12:34:50 PM »
Per member payout BIG 12 is second overall.  Not a surprise about BBall though.  The biggest fan base outside of T-shirt KU fans of Texas and OU don't care.

Doesn't help when the Big 12 has fratricided all the other programs to keep KU on top. /conspiracy theory 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26546 on: August 05, 2015, 01:57:56 PM »

That was overall revenues, including football, and that data is a couple of years old.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26547 on: August 12, 2015, 11:04:54 PM »
This whole series has been fascinating, but this was a great article.

I didn't realize how badly the Pac-12 was struggling, financially, compared to everyone else.  The ACC is just hemorrhaging money.

http://big12fanatics.com/expansion-project-financial-support/

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26548 on: August 12, 2015, 11:34:08 PM »
That was very interesting.

Maybe the talk about stealing another Power 5 school isn't so crazy after all.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26549 on: August 13, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
If you break that into Revenue After Subsidy /  Teams Reported the BIGXII is sitting pretty:

BIGXII  - $12,176,288
BIG 10  - $9,694,866
ACC      - $8,715,456
PAC 12  - $8,102,262
SEC       - $7,885,892