Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4141337 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26250 on: July 02, 2015, 08:58:56 AM »
The inherent problem with the BigXII is that members don't seem to value their membership.  Even the shittiest of shitty programs in the big 10 and SEC claim that they're superior because of their affiliation with their conferences. 

I don't know how you fix something intangible like pride or tradition.  Adding more no-name, up-and-coming programs like Colorado State certainly doesn't fix anything, though.

I don't think that's true about the Big 10. That's just an SEC thing.

That's just an SEC thing in words only.   I realize there's a lawsuit between Big 12 schools right now, but SEC schools have been turning each other in to the NCAA and having constituents of various schools actually take coaches etc. etc. to court over recruiting.  A&M and LSU are locked up in a lawsuit right now as well. 

I think the thing with the SEC, there's so much cheating going on, nobody is going to turn in another. 

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26251 on: July 02, 2015, 09:00:34 AM »
The inherent problem with the BigXII is that members don't seem to value their membership.  Even the shittiest of shitty programs in the big 10 and SEC claim that they're superior because of their affiliation with their conferences. 

I don't know how you fix something intangible like pride or tradition.  Adding more no-name, up-and-coming programs like Colorado State certainly doesn't fix anything, though.

Quite a few towns in the Big Ten have restaurants, bars or other businesses with "Big Ten _____" in their name.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.679399,-91.565924,3a,75y,61.18h,83.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTIlEuiwPJkCbt3j2NQjpFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Will a Big 12 town ever have a Big 12 restaurant or hotel?

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26252 on: July 02, 2015, 09:04:27 AM »
Boren is trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy that will move OU to the SEC, unless the conference adds two more teams.  Then, the next beef will be used to exit the conference, unless it's wildly successful and any move would be foolish.  Financially, the conference is Power 5.  Inter-school relationships are what's spoiling a good deal for schools like K-State, even though all appearance point to K-State being a model conference member.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26253 on: July 02, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »

Quite a few towns in the Big Ten have restaurants, bars or other businesses with "Big Ten _____" in their name.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.679399,-91.565924,3a,75y,61.18h,83.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTIlEuiwPJkCbt3j2NQjpFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://plus.google.com/113554523607211116168/about?gl=us&hl=en

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26254 on: July 02, 2015, 09:32:19 AM »
No lie, I love this conference. It makes me sad everyone doesn't feel that way. No rough ridin' way I want to play teams from fat away lands.  :cry:
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26255 on: July 02, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »
No lie, I love this conference. It makes me sad everyone doesn't feel that way. No rough ridin' way I want to play teams from fat away lands.  :cry:

Though it might help LHCBS's replacement be successful if we suddenly have recruiting connections to Florida and other big tv markets. The trouble now is that our main line of all star talent is Texas which has a few too many Texas schools to consistently compete with.

I'd love to see Andre Coleman bring in some of that elite Florida talent.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26256 on: July 02, 2015, 09:59:07 AM »
I've heard all this talk about how Nebraska and OU still wish they played each other, yet I have not seen or heard about any earnest movement to make that happen.  It would seem they're only interested in playing each other as long as the conference schedule requires them to play each other.   

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/29/oklahoma-nebraska-renew-rivalry-series-2021-2022/1735553/

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26257 on: July 02, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »

Well, that's ironic.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26259 on: July 02, 2015, 10:46:26 AM »

Well, that's ironic.

They did change their name when Missouri left the Big 12. I just wouldn't use local establishments as some sort of gauge of conference enthusiasm.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26260 on: July 02, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »

Offline hippocraticoaf

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26261 on: July 02, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »

Yup, and if you ever listen to NU or MU fans that were around during the Big 8 years they all agree it goes Big 8>Big 12> new conference

It shocks me they haven't figured out the grass isn't always greener.

As to OU, can you imagine how there superiority complex would do in a conference with Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Florida or with Ohio State Michigan etc.?

Oh and in the PAC 12 their big games are starting so late most of the nation doesn't care to watch and most of the schools don't really care about football.

If they make a move, I can guarantee they won't be happy no matter where they go.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26262 on: July 02, 2015, 11:05:25 AM »
The Big XII is an irrelevant conference in CFB, it is now essentially a beefed up Mountain West and clearly a step behind the SEC, Big Ten, the ACC (with the addition of ND), and Pac 12.   Like the Mountain West, WAC, MAC, and C-USA a team from the Big XII will need to be undefeated and get very very lucky to get into the playoff. Could happen once every couple decades maybe (not that it will because the soon enough major CFB will be closed off to teams outside the Big 4 conference).

OU and Texas are smart to look to land in a conference that matters (even at the cost of having less "power").   

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26263 on: July 02, 2015, 11:07:45 AM »
The pac 12 is pretty similar to the big 12 except more watered down.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26264 on: July 02, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »
Its about having a path to being included in a lucrative TV deal.  This is 100% dependant on being a team that has a chance to make the playoffs (which eventually means being included in one of the big 4 conferences that survive).

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26265 on: July 02, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
Since cfb irrelevance is now inevitable what should little il ksu do to mitigate the damage?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26266 on: July 02, 2015, 11:16:06 AM »
Since cfb irrelevance is now inevitable what should little il ksu do to mitigate the damage?
Put an insanely entertaining and fun product on the field and hope we can break even financially.  Learn to survive as a local product with limited means.

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26267 on: July 02, 2015, 11:30:34 AM »

If this happens we will have a path to the playoff. They are going to have a hard time legally, at least at first, basically shunning teams that were just allowed to play at the highest level. The teams that were in the Big 12 that are left behind will have a good legal case.

The problem is in whatever our new conference is, our path won't be a good path, we'll have very few regional and traditional rivals and the money gap will be so substantial, it will cause a long slow death, at least in football. Outside of that it will be awesome!

Offline hippocraticoaf

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26268 on: July 02, 2015, 11:33:34 AM »
The Big XII is an irrelevant conference in CFB, it is now essentially a beefed up Mountain West and clearly a step behind the SEC, Big Ten, the ACC (with the addition of ND), and Pac 12.   Like the Mountain West, WAC, MAC, and C-USA a team from the Big XII will need to be undefeated and get very very lucky to get into the playoff. Could happen once every couple decades maybe (not that it will because the soon enough major CFB will be closed off to teams outside the Big 4 conference).

OU and Texas are smart to look to land in a conference that matters (even at the cost of having less "power").

The only thing that really matters is football and the Big 12 is absolutely better than the ACC in football, as well as the Big 10. The problem with these bigger conferences is that they have so many pud schools. Take the Big 10 for example, the 14 teams in the conference include (think about football) illinios, iowa, indiana, maryland, minnesota, northwestern, purdue, and rutgers. These 8 teams are in no way better than a texas tech or oklahoma state for instance.

Michigan and penn state are big names, but recently they simply haven't been competing at a high level.

Then you have Nebraska, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Admittedly good teams, but not really more so than Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, and maybe K-State the past few years.

They may have 1 more good team, but over half of the conference is complete garbage.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26269 on: July 02, 2015, 11:35:06 AM »
Football is dumb anyways good thing we have oscar whippin ass at Basketball.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26270 on: July 02, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »

The only thing that really matters is football and the Big 12 is absolutely better than the ACC in football, as well as the Big 10. The problem with these bigger conferences is that they have so many pud schools. Take the Big 10 for example, the 14 teams in the conference include (think about football) illinios, iowa, indiana, maryland, minnesota, northwestern, purdue, and rutgers. These 8 teams are in no way better than a texas tech or oklahoma state for instance.

Michigan and penn state are big names, but recently they simply haven't been competing at a high level.

Then you have Nebraska, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Admittedly good teams, but not really more so than Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, and maybe K-State the past few years.

They may have 1 more good team, but over half of the conference is complete garbage.
lol wow, do you even watch football?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26271 on: July 02, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »

Doesn't matter the quality of football, it matters how many TV sets they draw.  Ohio State mowing its way through ShitBall U every weekend on its way to the playoffs will still draw tons of viewers.  The Big Ten is super powerful in terms of influence. 

It's not about which conference has better teams here. It's about brand and perception.

Offline hippocraticoaf

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26272 on: July 02, 2015, 11:39:38 AM »
whats wrong with it slim?

i gotcha chingon, i thought you meant competitively.

But yeah, when it comes to viewers and pop you're definitely right.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26273 on: July 02, 2015, 11:42:18 AM »
well comparing ou/tcu/baylor to ohio state/wisconsin/michigan state for starters.

Offline hippocraticoaf

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26274 on: July 02, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »
well comparing ou/texas/baylor to ohio state/wisconsin/michigan state for starters.

you don't think that TCU, Baylor, and OU were on par with OSU, Wisconsin and MSU?

My point is that the top of our conference is about even with the big 10 but they have a huge amount of schools that don't compete whatsoever