Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4070498 times)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26150 on: June 24, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »
OU prez Boren wants 12, said TV contract will still pay same amount per school as though conf was at 10.  That's a revelation.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/24/8840439/big-12-expansion-conference-realignment-never-ends

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #26151 on: June 24, 2015, 05:40:17 PM »
OU prez Boren wants 12, said TV contract will still pay same amount per school as though conf was at 10.  That's a revelation.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/24/8840439/big-12-expansion-conference-realignment-never-ends

I'm not buying that.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26152 on: June 24, 2015, 11:37:23 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I agree with the arguement that at least a small part of the reason Boren did this was to get his issues with the Big12 out there to smoothen leaving the Big12 if it came to that.  If the Big12 doesn't expand or create some sort on content distribution system around the LHN to OU's liking, they can come out and say "We told everyone our thoughts on what's needed for stability of the conference and the conference and members didn't listen. We are now going to a new place that closer aligns with our opinions on what a stable conference looks like."  He has an in to sell it to his fan base.  Maybe even he doesn't want to expand without 1 or 2 specific schools, but now he's got a narrative set in place he can spin multiple ways to OU's advantage.  It's a win/win for OU.

Of course this is the same guy who, on the weekend rumors were out about WVU/Pitt/Louisville joining the Big12, he came out on Sunday evening and said they needed to explore the PAC without Texas.  6 days later Cuse and Pitt joined the ACC.  Maybe that Sunday he was trying to put the pressure on others to OK Louisville and it backfired.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26153 on: June 25, 2015, 05:54:22 AM »
Stability comes from within, grasshopper.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26154 on: June 26, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »

I'm not buying that.

Dennis Dodd released that information two years ago.  It's true.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26155 on: June 26, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I agree with the arguement that at least a small part of the reason Boren did this was to get his issues with the Big12 out there to smoothen leaving the Big12 if it came to that.  If the Big12 doesn't expand or create some sort on content distribution system around the LHN to OU's liking, they can come out and say "We told everyone our thoughts on what's needed for stability of the conference and the conference and members didn't listen. We are now going to a new place that closer aligns with our opinions on what a stable conference looks like."  He has an in to sell it to his fan base.  Maybe even he doesn't want to expand without 1 or 2 specific schools, but now he's got a narrative set in place he can spin multiple ways to OU's advantage.  It's a win/win for OU.

Of course this is the same guy who, on the weekend rumors were out about WVU/Pitt/Louisville joining the Big12, he came out on Sunday evening and said they needed to explore the PAC without Texas.  6 days later Cuse and Pitt joined the ACC.  Maybe that Sunday he was trying to put the pressure on others to OK Louisville and it backfired.

If we're going to expand, we need to do it very soon.  Whoever we take will need to be grown as a member like TCU was.

If that choice is Cincy and BYU/Memphis/UCF, that's fine, but it's going to take time for them become fully vested, and when that happens, you hope that over the next 9-10 years, they become a solid athletic department.

We can't wait three or four years.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #26156 on: June 26, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »

I'm not buying that.

Then why was everyone at OU whipping their dicks out?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26157 on: June 26, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
I actually think his complaints could be a prelude to ou leaving. However, he's a dumbass because, at least for now, there's no reason for him to want for anything. The money is there. The path to the playoffs is there. Had OU been either TCU it Baylor, they would not have gotten snubbed.

That said, if all five conference champs were guaranteed a spot in a 6 or 8 team playoff, almost all expansion talk would die. In fact, our conference would become more desirable for other teams.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26158 on: June 26, 2015, 11:12:08 PM »

I'm not buying that.

Then why was everyone at OU whipping their dicks out?

No one reads.  People probably forgot.  I don't know.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26159 on: June 28, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »

Seriously, I feel like I am the only one who understands that a meteor is headed directly for earth but no one around me cares.  Fellas, we are on the mother rough ridin' cusp of mid-majorship.  IT'S rough ridin' HEADED DIRECTLY FOR US! Not Joking, here.   There is really bad crap on the horizon.

Right now this is how I feel.  Only we just got new info on its trajectory as it's flying away from us and it's going to hit us on its way back out to the Kuiper Belt.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #26160 on: June 28, 2015, 12:12:50 PM »

I'm not buying that.

So we can add Cincy and Memphis or UCF and every team would have the same payout? I just don't see that being the case.

I do think that the payout would be the same if we added P5 schools from another conference, but that isn't going to happen.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26161 on: June 28, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »
I read phog net and I ask why so many Phogistinians hate the Big 12.   The Big 12 has been extremely good to KU.   The Big 12 tolerates KU's horrific football program because KU is good in basketball.   The Big 12 has been extremely good to KU financially.   The current Big 12 arrangement allows KU to pocket the ever expanding Big 12 largess while also allowing KU to keep the entirety of their fairly lucrative Tier III media deal.  KU will take home over $30 million dollars in media and conference revenue in FY 2015.   If KU was in the Big 10, there certainly wouldn't be any " _____ straight" T-shirts to print and they would still be horrific in football.  Albeit, they could likely luck out with all the divisions in the BiG and get an easy conference schedule here and there and make a minor bowl game.   

KU men's athletics outside of men's basketball has won one men's conference championship in the last 30 years.   The current Big 12 set up allows Beatty to get access to Texas recruiting grounds.   What Texas kid is going to want to go play for the worst P5 football program in the country if that program is going to have to turn scheduling backflips in order to have any games close to home?   I guess the only hope there is that KU football continues to be the worst P5 football program in the country and all the Texas schools want them on their non-conference schedule to pick up an easy win.   

Is it a lack of confidence?   If KU is so attractive now, why wouldn't KU be attractive 10 years from now?  I guess one fear is that they'll continue to be the worst P5 conference football program in the country and nobody will want them.   I also suppose there's the law of averages, and that says that KU isn't going to hire a fourth basketball coach in a row that's as successful as Brown-Williams-Self.   Let's face it, if Bill Self is around in ten years, we'll all be stunned.  He already looks tired of the place, and another first weekend exit or two and KU t-shirt nation is going to want to have somebodies head on a pike.   

While it is pickle, it is sad to see so many Phogistinians who hate a conference that, as I said, has been very good to them.   I mean honestly, they owe the Orange Bowl solely to the Big 12 and its bowl arrangements at the time, that allowed schools to try and broker their own bowl deal.   I mean, why can't they remember the best they've had it in football in nearly fifty years?

Entitlement and just the desire of feeling wanted, KU always feels they deserve more than what they already got. To me if I was a serious KU fan I'd take a good long hard look at it, and look at Nebraska. Cause I mean, really, if the Nubbs thought they would be better in the big 10 I think it's unquestionable not been they case for them, it'd be 100x worse for KU. KU's football would not improve at all in big 10, sure they may get a few more wins due to the plethora of pasties there but they will lose all recruiting advantages (if they have any), and their basketball would all the sudden have to deal with Izzo, Ryan, and and a revolving door of threats to their basketball hegemony from Michigan, Ohio State and Indiana. Let alone that of those 5 schools MSU, Wisky, Michigan and tOSU all have the almighty football in their pocket and long standing member history in the big 10 to keep KU down even more. Moving to the big 10 would make KU merely just another one of the kids in class, instead of at least being exceptional in 1 thing in the Big 12, where at least they have that.

Overall, I think their disdain towards the Big 12 if they have is that a school they looked up to as their equivalents, but for football Nubbs got picked to go to the big 10, while their most hated enemy Mizzou also got picked for the SEC, and KU really didn't get anything, and feel left out.

It's like KU had two friends, one she felt she was equal to and the other she hated and always felt she was hotter than but really wasn't. The one she liked got divorced from her stable husband cause she felt she deserved better when she met this has-been old rich guy who offered to treat her better. And while she really doesn't like him and gets treated even worse and the guy isn't as rich now compared to her past hubby's new found wealth, she can't dare go back to him or tell KU that things are actually worse cause she has to keep up appearances or else risk losing everything. Then KU's hated friend divorces her stable hubby to go for a younger guy who's clearly racist and a douche but OMG his abs. Mizzou clearly doesn't deserve to sleep with a guy with abs like that and clearly KU is hotter than Mizzou, she should be able to get a guy that looks better than Mizzou's new man. KU then looks over at her own stable hubby who has been nothing but faithful and a good man. Sure he's not the richest or got rock hard abs, but he's doing well for himself and stays fit, hell he even promised to stop people from chicken winging her when they goes out with their friends cause sometimes K-State gets a little too rowdy when she has a few shots. "God K-State is so annoying!" thinks KU to herself. Then she looks at all her other circle of friends, "ISU and OSU are also annoying and ugly" says KU. She doesn't care for BU, TCU, TTU, WVU either, "I mean, who are they to me?" KU says to herself. OU and KU get along alright, but OU is way hotter than KU and can get any man she wants, and OU really doesn't care for KU at all. And finally Texas, oh Texas, so hot, like a model, and her hubby is always able to shower her with everything she could ever want. KU wants her life so bad, but she knows deep down she can never live that. "Why can't I get another man like effing NU and that bitch Mizzou?" KU thinks as she cries herself to sleep many times a week in her new DeBruce basketball center her hubby sacrificed for her.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26162 on: June 29, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
that got elaborate
emaw

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26163 on: June 29, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »
I get all that.  What I don't get is why KU wishes us to the Mountain West Conference.  Sad, really, it's like wishing a friend who inherits a multi-million dollar estate to die in a car wreck.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26164 on: June 29, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
I get all that.  What I don't get is why KU wishes us to the Mountain West Conference.  Sad, really, it's like wishing a friend who inherits a multi-million dollar estate to die in a car wreck.
If they really thought they were superior to us, they wouldn't. As of now, they know we are the best football team and program in the state by light years. Couple that with growing enrollment, well simply out, we threaten them.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26165 on: June 29, 2015, 01:39:39 PM »
We would still be a much better football program than KU even if we went to the Mtn West, just like CSU is better than CU. KU needs to look within and get their crap together.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26166 on: June 30, 2015, 10:58:34 AM »
what do you guys think about boston college?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26167 on: June 30, 2015, 10:59:57 AM »
what do you guys think about boston college?

Probably the worst choice I've heard yet.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26168 on: June 30, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »
running out of options good academic school in the 7th largest market available. not sure whats so bad about it

Online Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26169 on: June 30, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »
They're not a bad school to have in your conference but they are way too far away.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26170 on: June 30, 2015, 11:12:45 AM »
They're not a bad school to have in your conference but they are way too far away.
not for cincy louisville and wvu

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
@Trogdor_gE

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26172 on: June 30, 2015, 11:29:35 AM »
If only this carried the same weight as when the Big 10 said they might be looking to expand.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26173 on: June 30, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
running out of options good academic school in the 7th largest market available. not sure whats so bad about it

They offer absolutely nothing to a conference especially the Big 12. I can't imagine a power five school that has a worse combination of poor facilities and poor fan and community support. They are a s disaster with little sign of recovery.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26174 on: June 30, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »
If only this carried the same weight as when the Big 10 said they might be looking to expand.

the best hope we have is that the big 10 wants UNC and UVA and breaks up the ACC then we can go in and pull other teams
emaw