Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4070645 times)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26125 on: May 31, 2015, 08:07:47 PM »
Sounds like 5-18 yr olds have horrible taste

Check out the old guy.

The point still stands

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #26126 on: May 31, 2015, 10:27:52 PM »
I wonder who will be the first school to go with sketchers?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26127 on: May 31, 2015, 11:30:17 PM »
Just had this conversation last night. UA is at a great point to start throwing money at schools to get their company from recognizable to prominent. They already have Auburn and if they can get a big time school like Texas, they will be in great shape. I can definitely see them throwing a lot of money at that.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #26128 on: May 31, 2015, 11:58:04 PM »
I do not want a title game.  Good grief that would really cap off the "one true champion" mantra and explode it all over everything in a giant stupid bomb.

Regardless of whether or not it's something we should do, it's a significant thing that isn't being monetized.
Tattoo advertising space on my forehead is also a significant thing that isn't being monetized.  It's still a dumbass idea that only dumbasses would consider.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26129 on: June 01, 2015, 01:54:05 AM »
I do not want a title game.  Good grief that would really cap off the "one true champion" mantra and explode it all over everything in a giant stupid bomb.

Regardless of whether or not it's something we should do, it's a significant thing that isn't being monetized.
Tattoo advertising space on my forehead is also a significant thing that isn't being monetized.  It's still a dumbass idea that only dumbasses would consider.

Well, there's too much risk in doing it right now, and that's why the presidents voted against it.

However, if they feel like it's ultimately necessary, and it will bring in more money, then it will be hard to turn down.

That said, it's more likely that we will expand to eight teams in the playoff, and conference specific networks will see their growth limited within the next few years as opposed to us making that move.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26130 on: June 05, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »
I understand the financials of staying at 10, but I really wish adding more teams would make financial sense right now.

I was out west two weeks ago and remembered how cool beaches and mountains were. They really are the darnest thing. BYU and UNLV could be good works in progress with their followings, city sizes, and markets, right? I wouldn't mind Colorado State or San Diego State either (if those first two were added) to make things a bit more stable out west. Divisions split up UT, BU, TTU, BYU, UNLV, SDSU, CSU and TCU, OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, CIN, WVU.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26131 on: June 05, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »
I think 12 is the right number, but there's no 2 schools that are realistic possibilities, that I'd be ok with.

Each time these talks spark up again, I instantly miss the original 12. It never fails. I mean, I think I'm getting better, but I don't know if I'll ever get over it.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26132 on: June 05, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »
I think 12 is the right number, but there's no 2 schools that are realistic possibilities, that I'd be ok with.

Each time these talks spark up again, I instantly miss the original 12. It never fails. I mean, I think I'm getting better, but I don't know if I'll ever get over it.

Since leagues are 14 now, my MOST ideal 14 team league would be the original Big 12 with LSU and Arkansas.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26133 on: June 05, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »

Since leagues are 14 now, my MOST ideal 14 team league would be the original Big 12 with LSU and Arkansas.

Holy would rough ridin' take batman.
:dance:

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26134 on: June 05, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »

The northerner in me wouldn't mind going to 16 or 18 with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Notre Dame (in addition to LSU and Arkansas) but that'd be really greedy and maybe too much of a cultural switch from north to south.

Online Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26135 on: June 05, 2015, 04:37:32 PM »

You just want LSU and Arky.  Nobody wants a 14 team conference or the old Big 12 back.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26136 on: June 05, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »

You just want LSU and Arky.  Nobody wants a 14 team conference or the old Big 12 back.

False.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26137 on: June 06, 2015, 08:20:13 AM »

Exactly.  I am vehemently against adding any teams that are not currently in a power conference.  I don't want the long travel that's at bring, and eff BYU.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26138 on: June 06, 2015, 10:43:06 AM »
The key to getting any current Power 5 schools to join the Big 12 is in multiple questions?

-What are the Big 12's Media Revenue Projections per school going forward?

-What kind of money can the new P5 schools generate in their own Tier III contract?

-Can a Big 12 Network be put together?  Can it be put together without Texas?  Will the revenue superseded what the Big 12 will payout (without a network) plus each individual schools Tier III?   In the case of Texas and their ESPN contract, they will never agree to a Big 12 network unless they are guranteed the money they were going to get from the LHN.

In the case of schools like Arkansas and LSU it is highly conceivable that they could put together their own Tier III deal that pays out a bunch of money every year even if there was a Big 12 network.   Just like Alabama did even though there's an SECN.

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26139 on: June 18, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »
Interesting read on the new AD at Texas who is pissing everyone there off..

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1556266-hd-exclusive-ad-patterson-facing-heat

A tidbit of some long term concern if he remains at UT for the next TV contract renewal

Those inside the department say Patterson seems to rely more on the opinion of Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott than anyone affiliated with Texas or the Big 12.
Patterson, who grew close to Scott while athletic director at Arizona State, is a big supporter of Scott’s Pac-12 Globalization Initiative, which includes Texas’ basketball season opener against Washington in Shanghai, China, this November and a proposed football game in Mexico in the near future.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26140 on: June 18, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1556266-hd-exclusive-ad-patterson-facing-heat

A tidbit of some long term concern if he remains at UT for the next TV contract renewal

Those inside the department say Patterson seems to rely more on the opinion of Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott than anyone affiliated with Texas or the Big 12.
Patterson, who grew close to Scott while athletic director at Arizona State, is a big supporter of Scott’s Pac-12 Globalization Initiative, which includes Texas’ basketball season opener against Washington in Shanghai, China, this November and a proposed football game in Mexico in the near future.

I don't think he'll be there.

Offline bunter

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm not a good poster.
    • View Profile
    • Investigate 3/11
« Reply #26141 on: June 18, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »
Yikes. Sounds like Sam Brownback, AD.

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26142 on: June 18, 2015, 01:44:52 PM »
Many inside the Longhorn community are fed up with an athletic director who they say puts money above all else

This is somehow a problem?
@Trogdor_gE

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26143 on: June 18, 2015, 02:00:43 PM »
Many inside the Longhorn community are fed up with an athletic director who they say puts money above all else

Disregard females, acquire currency.
:dance:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26144 on: June 18, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »

I don't think he'll be there.

Holy crap.  Chip is giving him both barrels.  Could you imagine someone ever writing something like that about a K-State AD???

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26145 on: June 18, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »

i personally put winning way, way above money. my guess is most fans do as well.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26146 on: June 18, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »

i personally put winning way, way above money. my guess is most fans do as well.
funny thing about winning, its the only sustainable way to make money

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26147 on: June 18, 2015, 05:27:22 PM »

funny thing about winning, its the only sustainable way to make money

You can almost force money to an extent, you cant force winning. Also, having a crap ton of money to invest can yield better facilites->land better recruits, hire better coaches, provide better fan amenities etc.
@Trogdor_gE

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26148 on: June 18, 2015, 06:02:50 PM »
The problem is he's putting more onto the coaches and spending less on coaches in the name of money.  The whole more money equals better coaches doesn't work when you don't spend it on them and piss them off with lower assistant salary pool and expanding the scope of non-revenue sport coaches by expanding their responsibilities in fund raising.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26149 on: June 23, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »

This sounds incredibly stupid.