Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4069489 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #25975 on: December 29, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »
big 10 people are even more b-i-g b-i-g b-i-g than the sec.  they literally only watch the big10 and there are a shitload of them.
the only thing true about this post is that there's a lot of big 10 people.

Jokes on you cause I made up everything in that post
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25976 on: December 30, 2014, 12:43:09 AM »
Memphis has nothing going for it except the guys from Cops like to film episodes there

That one auburn fan can confirm. http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=32943.msg1203540#msg1203540

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25977 on: December 30, 2014, 07:59:03 AM »
OU and Texas got beat a combined 71-13.

How in the rough ridin wide world of sports does two schools that spend a combined $240 rough ridin million dollars a year on athletics get beat 71-13 by that fata$$ at Arkansas (I mean, he makes me look skinny) and Dabo rough ridin Sweeney Goob?

That was utterly pathetic. And since they are still viewed as the "cream of the crop" of the BIGXII nationally our national perception just plummeted. How soon do we start hammering down for more equal media benefits? Nubb is going to feel really dumb when UT isn't the big dog anymore and they are stuck in the shiten .

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25978 on: December 30, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »
Guys do you think the BIG would take K-State in order to strengthen its football?  I mean with NBAF and stuff we will be super elite research school too.  I'm just getting tired of the Cats having to prop the rest of the Big 12 up cause they can't stand on their own you know?  OU and Texas are turning into the next Iowa St and KU in football and it is embarrassing to watch them tumble. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25979 on: December 30, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »
Guys do you think the BIG would take K-State in order to strengthen its football?  I mean with NBAF and stuff we will be super elite research school too.  I'm just getting tired of the Cats having to prop the rest of the Big 12 up cause they can't stand on their own you know?  OU and Texas are turning into the next Iowa St and KU in football and it is embarrassing to watch them tumble.

Which would be more satisfying. . .being in a league with real competition? Or laying the beatdown on UT and OU every year while consistently getting good bowl games due to being a P5 conference?

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25980 on: December 30, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »

Which would be more satisfying. . .being in a league with real competition? Or laying the beatdown on UT and OU every year while consistently getting good bowl games due to being a P5 conference?

Or being in a conference where we are in the easy division that requires beating Wisconsin and Nubb every year to play for a Dr. Pepper and whether win or lose we get an awesome bowl cause apparently the big 10 is politically stronger and soon to be swimming in lots of TV gold?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25981 on: December 30, 2014, 12:53:08 PM »
OU and Texas got beat a combined 71-13.

How in the rough ridin wide world of sports does two schools that spend a combined $240 rough ridin million dollars a year on athletics get beat 71-13 by that fata$$ at Arkansas (I mean, he makes me look skinny) and Dabo rough ridin Sweeney Goob?

That was utterly pathetic. And since they are still viewed as the "cream of the crop" of the BIGXII nationally our national perception just plummeted. How soon do we start hammering down for more equal media benefits? Nubb is going to feel really dumb when UT isn't the big dog anymore and they are stuck in the shiten .
$89MM at Arky and $61MM at Clemson...   OU and Texas spent an entire schools operating budget worth of funds more than their opponents and were outscored 71 to 13.

The haves are the have-nots.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25982 on: January 15, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »
This gem from the phog:

You have to dig a little deeper. Although Memphis may be a Top 7 market for ESPN college football broadcasts, the viewership for University of Memphis games is the important metric to consider. If a particular school doesn't effectively "deliver" its market, the impact on value to a network partner is minimal - they have to be able to sell the ads. I would suspect that this number reflects viewership of various SEC games more than it reflects viewership of Memphis' football games.

The three power brokers in the Big 12 (Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas) are content with the status quo. Everyone knows even bigger changes are on the horizon and the Big 12's day as a conference  are likely numbered as the process continues to unfold. Adding a couple of commuter schools so we can have a conference championship game for a few years isn't going to stop the inevitable. Unfortunately, the conference was outmaneuvered in the previous two rounds of realignment and lost four major pieces; either the ACC or the Big 12 was bound for eventual dissolution.

Adding TCU and WVU were not strategic moves, they were desperation moves. The DFW market was already delivered by UT/OU/Baylor/TT and West Virginia doesn't have a major market to speak of. These schools were added because the conference's television contracts could have been dissolved and renegotiated if the membership fell below 10. At the time, there were no schools that effectively delivered a major new market to add value in TV deal negotiations...that hasn't changed. As far as I'm concerned, Northern Illinois, with its huge Chicago alumni base, is a more intriguing prospect than Memphis. BYU is the only addition that you don't think twice about. All the other candidates I've heard batted around don't make much sense at all.

Until the next major shakeup, UT, OU and KU would rather maximize their revenue and position themselves favorably for the next round of realignment...the dawn of the Superconference, dissolution of the NCAA, etc. Unless they can somehow poach members from the big 10, Pac12, SEC or ACC (which seems very unlikely) there is no real benefit in adding schools that won't end up in the eventual 64-school Superconference model, anyway. The outlook for basketball will also change with the dissolution of the NCAA - which derives over 90% of its operating budget from the NCAA tournament - billions of dollars annually that don't end up in the schools' coffers. Once the schools put an end to this fleecing, the value of basketball in these maneuverings will increase dramatically.
Last edited 01/07/2015 11:22 AM bySharkTankin

Didn't realize that lil bro was the conference power broker......

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25983 on: January 15, 2015, 01:14:42 PM »
Quote from: beems
Allen Fieldhouse:  One of the top 15 sports venues in the world.

KU is right on par with Notre Dame when it comes to adding additional conference revenue.

KU's campus looks like Prague.

of course they're a power broker.

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #25984 on: January 15, 2015, 01:30:38 PM »
Geeze KU is in total turmoil
@Trogdor_gE

The Big Train

« Reply #25985 on: January 15, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »
i bet sharktankin was laughing hysterically when they were writing out that masterpiece

Offline Kelsey_Grammar

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25986 on: January 15, 2015, 01:52:40 PM »
i bet sharktankin was laughing hysterically when they were writing out that masterpiece

I would wager that you were laughing retardedly whilst typing that nonsensical pile of excrement...
Perhaps next time you won't be so careless...

The Big Train

« Reply #25987 on: January 15, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »
you wanna step outside KG :comeatme:

Offline Kelsey_Grammar

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25988 on: January 15, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »

Anything is possible... except you stepping to and surviving to tell of it...
Perhaps next time you won't be so careless...

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25989 on: January 15, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »

Anything is possible... except you stepping to and surviving to tell of it...
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

The Big Train

« Reply #25990 on: January 15, 2015, 02:09:48 PM »
ok

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25991 on: January 15, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »
Phog posts are replete with references to implosion of the Big 12, which can't happen soon enough for them--they will certainly wind up in the Big 10 (preferred), or Pac 12.  They seem pleased to speculate that we'll end up in the Mountain West....

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #25992 on: January 15, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »
My favorite part of every single one of these speculations results in a 4x16.  Which has never been validated as anything but media speculation.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25993 on: January 15, 2015, 06:18:22 PM »
This gem from the phog:

You have to dig a little deeper. Although Memphis may be a Top 7 market for ESPN college football broadcasts, the viewership for University of Memphis games is the important metric to consider. If a particular school doesn't effectively "deliver" its market, the impact on value to a network partner is minimal - they have to be able to sell the ads. I would suspect that this number reflects viewership of various SEC games more than it reflects viewership of Memphis' football games.

The three power brokers in the Big 12 (Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas)

This is where I stopped reading.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25994 on: January 15, 2015, 06:34:05 PM »
This gem from the phog:

According to my research, it checks out, just in a different order:

University of Texas - $20B
University of Kansas - $1.83B
University of Oklahoma - $1.32B
The Sickly Seven - ???

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25995 on: January 15, 2015, 06:36:55 PM »
Wow, can't wait to hold degrees from both Institutions.  A true Titan of the Heartlands.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25996 on: January 16, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »
This gem from the phog:

The Sickly Seven - ???

Are those numbers reflecting endowment, or endowment + other stuff?

I guess I never thought of Kansas as a confy power broker, just a member with a good 2nd tier basketball program.  Anyway, I take guidance from sbnation.com:
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/8/29/2389659/college-football-2011-preview-big-12-texas-oklahoma

he Big 12's metaphor is all too obvious, as the Soviet Union of conferences, it has one huge member with all the power (Texas/Russia), one solid second banana with muscle and firepower (Oklahoma/Kazakhstan), a breakway republic and embittered rival on the way out of the conference and fighting the hegemon's influence at every step (Ukraine/TAMU) and then a long list of smaller satellites of varying influence and size. The winner of "Who is Moldova?" It's you, Kansas. It's always been you.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25997 on: January 16, 2015, 12:24:27 PM »
Just three major flagship public research universities, carrying the torch of higher education for this country's heartland

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25998 on: January 16, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »
Endowments drive conference realignment.  Everyone is clamoring for Kansas, but only if they strike out on Case Western Reserve and Emory

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25999 on: January 16, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »
This gem from the phog:

The Sickly Seven - ???

This is a great example of what can happen when a school decides to stockpile whatever money it makes and just let all its buildings/facilities/reputation decay in the meantime.

But hey, at least there is that talking point.