Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 370979 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6125 on: December 29, 2023, 10:54:54 PM »
I recently learned a new ben ji's dad/farm story. In the early 80's my dad had a great idea to plant 200 walnut tree's on the cat ranch windbreak. The plan was to cut them down and sell them when he retired like 40 years later. (For reference the cat ranch is in NW KS where there are very few trees).

He took a week off work to hand dig holes and plant 200 walnut tree's one summer.....they all died within 10 years except for like 2 of them that ended up where the snow drifted. This conversation ensue'd

ben ji "so did you ask grandpa if you could do it? what did he say?"
dad "Yeah, I asked to make sure it was okay and he just snickered and said "sure go ahead""
ben ji "so he didn't think they would survive but you went ahead and bought 200 walnut seedling and hand planted them"
dad "Sometimes you have to do something to learn it won't work"

That walnut windbreak was replaced with a cedar windbreak a couple of years later which is still there. I'm out here bird hunting and my dad is coming out tomorrow so hopefully he can show me the few remaining walnut trees that were part of his retirement plan.
Tale as old as time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6126 on: January 04, 2024, 10:24:25 PM »
I recently learned a new ben ji's dad/farm story. In the early 80's my dad had a great idea to plant 200 walnut tree's on the cat ranch windbreak. The plan was to cut them down and sell them when he retired like 40 years later. (For reference the cat ranch is in NW KS where there are very few trees).

He took a week off work to hand dig holes and plant 200 walnut tree's one summer.....they all died within 10 years except for like 2 of them that ended up where the snow drifted. This conversation ensue'd

ben ji "so did you ask grandpa if you could do it? what did he say?"
dad "Yeah, I asked to make sure it was okay and he just snickered and said "sure go ahead""
ben ji "so he didn't think they would survive but you went ahead and bought 200 walnut seedling and hand planted them"
dad "Sometimes you have to do something to learn it won't work"

That walnut windbreak was replaced with a cedar windbreak a couple of years later which is still there. I'm out here bird hunting and my dad is coming out tomorrow so hopefully he can show me the few remaining walnut trees that were part of his retirement plan.
One of the lone surviving walnut tree

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 10:39:20 PM by ben ji »

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: January 04, 2024, 10:26:48 PM »
Moar snow drift pics... blizzard with like 6 inches right after Christmas that shut down the highway but by the time I was out there around New years it was in the 40's and the only snow was in the windbreaks.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: January 04, 2024, 10:28:16 PM »
Good sunset pic and 25 EMAW points for whoever can name what this farm machinery does.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: January 04, 2024, 10:30:27 PM »
Here is an incredibly bad phone picture of about 50 antelope in NWKS where I had to zoom in because I was maybe a mile away from them

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: January 04, 2024, 10:31:31 PM »
Here is an incredibly bad phone picture of about 50 antelope in NWKS where I had to zoom in because I was maybe a mile away from them

That weedy area between me and the antelope is loaded with pheasants which is what I was going for.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: January 04, 2024, 10:32:37 PM »
One moar sunset pic from the high plains..You can see one tree from the "Orchard" that my dad planted like 5 years ago (there are maybe 8 to the right of the picture but the ones on the left of the picture died), some shitty peach trees and maybe others that have never produced anything. I'm convinced the only reason some of them are still alive is because the 6-9 times I go out there a year I give them a solid 10-15 minute soak from the hose.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 10:45:26 PM by ben ji »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: January 04, 2024, 10:47:18 PM »
How old is lady these days?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: January 04, 2024, 10:48:42 PM »
In regards to the NINE new cat contractors we brought on last month (feral cats caught in local town) we have caught 6 of them on the game cam located in their home aka the garage. My dad even set up a heat lamp and box with blankets for them to stay in

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: January 04, 2024, 10:52:24 PM »
Even tho my dad worked IT and used to program apple computers my millennial ass had to figure out how to program the SIX different automatic cat feeders he bought (2 different brands) to place next to their heat lamp for when he is back in KC or traveling. (It was super simple).

I think I've talked him into getting a giant deer feeder but filling it full of cat food for next year. Like they just spray cat food or whatever.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 11:45:06 PM by ben ji »

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6135 on: January 04, 2024, 10:56:45 PM »
Also he was super concerned about coons/skunks/possums stealing the cat food so he bought a couple of metal traps from China.....

First night he sets one up and baits it with dry spaghetti noodles because "the kitty's won't like that but the coons probably will"

Two hours later he cracks the blinds at the house, sees something in the trap...busts out his binoculars and says "I think we got a coon!" We go outside to the garage to find this

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: January 04, 2024, 11:00:16 PM »
How old is lady these days?

Lady is almost 12...the perfect city dog and country dog as long as you don't want her to hunt. She is terrified of gunshots so when I'm actually hunting birds she just lays on the couch in front of the fireplace but she gets to walk all around the windbreak 2-3 times a day at the farm and just go nuts chasing mice/rabbits etc.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: January 05, 2024, 12:27:21 AM »
That's awesome, I love lady
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: January 05, 2024, 10:22:18 AM »
Good sunset pic and 25 EMAW points for whoever can name what this farm machinery does.

It's a swather.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: January 05, 2024, 10:56:47 AM »

It's a swather.
Winner!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: January 05, 2024, 10:58:45 AM »
anyone who can guess this animal gets $1,000,000 from ben ji as well. HINT: that thing behind it is not a big dumb round poop. it's something else this animal is known for!

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: January 05, 2024, 11:23:42 AM »
anyone who can guess this animal gets $1,000,000 from ben ji as well. HINT: that thing behind it is not a big dumb round poop. it's something else this animal is known for!

Peacock

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: January 05, 2024, 12:13:40 PM »
Also he was super concerned about coons/skunks/possums stealing the cat food so he bought a couple of metal traps from China.....

First night he sets one up and baits it with dry spaghetti noodles because "the kitty's won't like that but the coons probably will"

Two hours later he cracks the blinds at the house, sees something in the trap...busts out his binoculars and says "I think we got a coon!" We go outside to the garage to find this

lmfao, incredible

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: January 06, 2024, 08:48:20 AM »

That's how I got my first feral/barn cat.  I was getting fed up with coons and possums getting in the trash cans and making a mess so I put a live catch trap and put dog food in it.  Guess what, the only thing I kept catching was a cat.  Growing up on a farm, I knew wild cats can do some damage to a person's skin.  I was careful when I let the cat out.  After about 2 weeks of this crap, the cat would come out of the cage and rub against my leg purring her head off.  After a while when the cat saw me, it would run up and rub my leg, but I never petted her.  I didn't want her to go ballistic so I would just walk away.  The problem was she would follow and continue to purr and rub my leg.  One day she followed me into the house.  Well, I got two house dogs the size of Tom's Tatar and I thought there would be a battle.  NOPE, she made friends immediately and they were inseparable.  So I would let her become part of the family, as she and the dogs played and slept together.   After a while, she would crawl on my lap and sleep with me and the dogs in my bed.  The whole thing was kind of like this.

https://x.com/buitengebieden/status/1743326217057517794?s=20
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: January 06, 2024, 12:34:09 PM »
katdaddy, you had two dogs and a cat sleeping in your bed? that rules man.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: January 15, 2024, 06:55:12 PM »
Drove to Overbrook today to pick up 2 sides of beef.  Perfect day for this.  Just throw it in the truck bed and not worry about it on the -20 windchill drive home.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: January 15, 2024, 07:00:17 PM »
Another Tom fail...  My cousin wanted his full NH3 tank in the barn he left at our place 3 weeks ago.  I waited until today.  I usually do this with the skid steer, but not being plugged in, it wouldn't start.  No prob, the F250, 4x4, rear axle locked.  I got stuck trying to turn around to line it up for the back up challenge.   Anyway,  I told him it's closer to the barn just not in yet.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: January 16, 2024, 09:04:30 AM »
Two sides of beef is really just ... a beef, no?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: January 16, 2024, 09:27:43 AM »
What's the breakdown on cuts and stuff when one gets a side of beef?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: January 16, 2024, 09:34:23 AM »
What's the breakdown on cuts and stuff when one gets a side of beef?
I think you just tell them how much hamburger you want and whatnot. We will butcher a bull and get the entire thing as hamburger. Otherwise would be inedible. Regular fat steers you get all the usual cuts. Roasts, steaks, ground, etc. My dad usually gets them all t-bone/porterhouse instead of tenderloin/strip for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk