Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 371044 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6175 on: February 21, 2024, 08:18:29 PM »
Gates of hell or just a high plains Kansas sunset?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6176 on: February 21, 2024, 08:57:53 PM »
Great pic. I'm going Gates of Hell. Did you do any editing to that?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: February 21, 2024, 09:15:57 PM »
Great pic. I'm going Gates of Hell. Did you do any editing to that?
I pressed the "Enhance" button on my phone but that's it.

Here is the non "Enhanced" version of the gates of hell.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: February 21, 2024, 09:20:01 PM »
Wildfire or just maximizing the zoom on my phone onto a farm 3 miles away? (Totes max'n the zoom)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: February 21, 2024, 09:43:51 PM »
That's what it's all about

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6180 on: February 21, 2024, 11:09:31 PM »
That rules
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: February 21, 2024, 11:53:49 PM »
Yeah, fires on the horizon is irl peak rural ks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: February 22, 2024, 03:46:13 PM »
Yeah, fires on the horizon is irl peak rural ks

Hazy smoky skies in KC yesterday confirm this.  Had someone come in to my office yesterday to warn me that she thought something in the building was on fire and I had to tell her "nope...it's just Kansas farmers".   :Carl:

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: February 24, 2024, 05:09:17 PM »
Spent the morning at the farm show before tip-off.

Rough collie/Pyrenees mix were the show special.  Breeder said those were an "accident."

Looked at the latest in drone sprayers.

Round bale wrap in US colors.

Almost bought a windmill with  aerator for the pond, but floor model got sold before I texted him back.

The first 4020 with PowerShift on display.  I told the guy I had one as well. He was not impressed as his was THE FIRST serial no 65001.

Granddaughters got to sit on stuff poppa will never buy.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: February 25, 2024, 05:06:35 PM »
i've seen border collie x pyrenees crosses before.  neat looking animals, but i think the conflicting instincts/energy levels could make for a problematic dog.

i follow a guy on twitter who's posted some drone vids of using drones to check cattle that opened my eyes to ag drone use.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: February 26, 2024, 09:14:04 PM »
i've seen border collie x pyrenees crosses before.  neat looking animals, but i think the conflicting instincts/energy levels could make for a problematic dog.

i follow a guy on twitter who's posted some drone vids of using drones to check cattle that opened my eyes to ag drone use.
How far can a drone that is available to a median cow farmer fly?

Could you buy a helicopter type drone with a live feed camera for say $1000 that has a 5ish mile range?

I honestly have no idea but I assume the tech is going to continue to get cheaper and more accessible.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: February 26, 2024, 09:54:52 PM »

Could you buy a helicopter type drone with a live feed camera for say $1000 that has a 5ish mile range?

I honestly have no idea but I assume the tech is going to continue to get cheaper and more accessible.

Can you count cows with a drone?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: February 26, 2024, 10:11:11 PM »
In regards to the NINE new cat contractors we brought on last month (feral cats caught in local town) we have caught 6 of them on the game cam located in their home aka the garage. My dad even set up a heat lamp and box with blankets for them to stay in

Where are you getting those cats?  In the alley behind the B-Hive?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: February 26, 2024, 10:12:23 PM »

I am meeting with a guy later this spring about spraying pasture with a drone.  Excited to learn more.

Then I want one of those Lazer weed killers for the row crops.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: February 27, 2024, 07:41:25 AM »

I don't think there are any in that price point with a 5 mile range. I'm really not sure any have the battery life for a 5 mile range. Also, legally you have to be within line of site of the drone.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: February 27, 2024, 07:43:11 AM »
One of our cats just recently had 7! 7! 7 freaking kittens. I thought more than likely it would be 3 or so. Not 7!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: February 27, 2024, 04:51:13 PM »
One of our cats just recently had 7! 7! 7 freaking kittens. I thought more than likely it would be 3 or so. Not 7!

Last time I was at the cat ranch I saw 4 of the 6 cats my dad dropped off a couple of months ago.

Two of them were (makes circle with one hand, puts finger through circle with other) out on the driveway one evening so hopefully some kittens are coming our way soon.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: February 29, 2024, 12:41:19 PM »
nearby but unrelated to the texas panhandle fires my folks had a couple thousand acres and some fence burn up the other day on our ranch. didn't lose any livestock. you want to see a community at full staff on social media honkin' off to their own heroism you should see sw kansas when the put out a grass fire. 4 county area just puffed up max. they deserve it though, it rules when everyone comes together to do crap like that.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: February 29, 2024, 06:21:30 PM »
it is cool.  i'm proud that my dad is always one of the ones first to help, and doesn't have social media, but he'd never post any of the back patting stuff you see if he did.  he and a bunch of area (NE Kansas) farmers drove down to Ashland 5 or so years ago, brought a bunch of hedge fence posts and other fencing supplies and helped out.   

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: February 29, 2024, 09:18:07 PM »
it is cool.  i'm proud that my dad is always one of the ones first to help, and doesn't have social media, but he'd never post any of the back patting stuff you see if he did.  he and a bunch of area (NE Kansas) farmers drove down to Ashland 5 or so years ago, brought a bunch of hedge fence posts and other fencing supplies and helped out.   
Yeah, this is mainly spouses of the rural fire departments and county who do fire break lines and crap. None of the people who actually help fight/break the fire post anything.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6195 on: February 29, 2024, 09:19:01 PM »
And this isn’t for restoration and whatnot. My pops can handle the fence and we’ve got plenty of grass. Massive areas of grass is something we ks is actually topped up on.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Yes, if there is a silver lining, at least this is the right time of year for the grass to burn.  It's those late summer or fall burns that really hurt grass stands.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I know in the flint hills and in eastern KS prescribed pasture burns happen all the time but I've never heard of or seen any out in NW KS. I'm guessing it's just too dry for it to be a normal thing that far west?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
I know in the flint hills and in eastern KS prescribed pasture burns happen all the time but I've never heard of or seen any out in NW KS. I'm guessing it's just too dry for it to be a normal thing that far west?

Ben ji, you have much to learn about Western KS from folks out there.  Where I grew up, there were grass fires when some farmer wanted a family hotdog cookout.  It was a gathering of men and teenaged boys with shoves helping out and women folks came along for picnic-type food support and gossip.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.