Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 371138 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
that's what i was afraid of.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Day two in the books!  Neighbor busted out his 6430 to pull wagons today. So desire one of those.  Silo filling has its benefits like copious amounts of bourbon when the day is done.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
That bottle of WT101 looks delicious. Are you going to post pictures of happy cows chowing down on that delicious silage this winter?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
I bet you could buy some desert land in BFE Nevada for super cheap but you wouldn't have grass.

yeah, i'm trying to find out where land is cheapest on a per cows it can support basis, not a per acre basis.  it's surprisingly hard to find that information.

my guess is that's probably missouri or kentucky or something.  somewhere with abundant rain, long growing seasons and where not a ton of people want to live in rural areas.

which i probably wouldn't either, but maybe i'd see somewhere at like, number six on the list, where i'd want to live.
Mississippi is quite green in this hot ass summer. Would support the cows quite well.

I have heard that cows won't eat kudzu but that kudzu will eat cows.  Confirm?

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Day two in the books!  Neighbor busted out his 6430 to pull wagons today. So desire one of those.  Silo filling has its benefits like copious amounts of bourbon when the day is done.

Tom

That bottle of WT101 looks delicious. Are you going to post pictures of happy cows chowing down on that delicious silage this winter?
This was from last November he wintered a pen of heifers.

Tom

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Tom

Tom

Gorgeous. Love seeing happy bovines lined up at the bunk.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Tom

Tom

On feed or held back? Nice set.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I bet you could buy some desert land in BFE Nevada for super cheap but you wouldn't have grass.

yeah, i'm trying to find out where land is cheapest on a per cows it can support basis, not a per acre basis.  it's surprisingly hard to find that information.

my guess is that's probably missouri or kentucky or something.  somewhere with abundant rain, long growing seasons and where not a ton of people want to live in rural areas.

which i probably wouldn't either, but maybe i'd see somewhere at like, number six on the list, where i'd want to live.
Definitely rust belt

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Tom

Tom

On feed or held back? Nice set.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Those are feeders.

Tom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
 :lol:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I saw a guy haul a couple calves from the sale barn in the back of a Mustang once.  This is next level.  The crap on the back window, trunk is the best part.

I bet he laughs when he pulls into the car wash with the sign that says "NO CATTLE TRUCKS"

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #5863 on: September 02, 2023, 10:35:01 PM »
Out at the cat ranch and my dad disced/swept (not sure of the difference) the field we are planting wheat next month with our crop farmers equipment he had left there.

When he was done for the day he noticed one of the big circular discs was missing so figured it fell off.

This morning I took the minibike out and spent about an hour looking for this missing metal circle until I gave up.

Later in the day my dad called his crop farmer and was like "yeah this one part is missing, trying to find it etc"

Crop farmer dude was like "nah, that's been missing since a couple of years ago"

Anyways here is the disced/swept? Soon the be planted wheat field next to our current Milo crop.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #5864 on: September 02, 2023, 10:48:19 PM »
It rained like 4 inches in 24 hours back in may and somehow a bunch of driftwood ended up in our part of the north fork of the solomon "river"

This is some pit my grandpa dug hoping to be a pond...kinda failed at that but when it floods all the driftwood collects there.

Lil red picked it up and I chainsawed it up into firewood

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5865 on: September 03, 2023, 03:30:01 AM »
Out at the cat ranch and my dad disced/swept (not sure of the difference) the field we are planting wheat next month with our crop farmers equipment he had left there.

When he was done for the day he noticed one of the big circular discs was missing so figured it fell off.

This morning I took the minibike out and spent about an hour looking for this missing metal circle until I gave up.

Later in the day my dad called his crop farmer and was like "yeah this one part is missing, trying to find it etc"

Crop farmer dude was like "nah, that's been missing since a couple of years ago"

Anyways here is the disced/swept? Soon the be planted wheat field next to our current Milo crop.

Disc. Sweeps are big arrows that go under the ground and are better for soil water retention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: September 03, 2023, 10:46:43 AM »

Disc. Sweeps are big arrows that go under the ground and are better for soil water retention.

So another farm glossary discussion in the points vs tenths vein.

What SD describes was called a spring tooth, shank, field cultivator where I grew up.  I never heard the term sweep until probably college.

Tom

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: September 03, 2023, 12:00:13 PM »
I thought sweeping was like the windrow thing with the spinny things
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: September 03, 2023, 12:12:46 PM »
That's a rake

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: September 03, 2023, 12:57:23 PM »
I thought sweeping was like the windrow thing with the spinny things

You'll know it's a rake because if it had a handle it would be a giant rake. LOL
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: September 03, 2023, 01:01:22 PM »

What SD describes was called a spring tooth, shank, field cultivator where I grew up.  I never heard the term sweep until probably college.

Tom

Tom

Agree completely, Tom.  Sometimes when you talk to degreed farmers(also AKA hobby) don't have any idea what equipment is called or used for in the field.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: September 03, 2023, 09:16:55 PM »
After I got done blasting doves this morning I was reading a book outside (eff the biting flies, had to wear long pants and sleeves even tho it was 100 out but In the shade it was decent due to the wind) and my dad decided to go collect some dead weeds from the recently worked field which apparently can clog up the planters or something (no idea if this is true) so he would load up the back of lil red then drop them off to me where I would burn them in the incinerator in between drinking beers and reading.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 09:22:38 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: September 03, 2023, 09:21:56 PM »
Feeling bad because I read a book and drank beer all afternoon while burning crap I eventually went out to the pasture with him where we cut down maybe 20% of the cockelburr? Bushes/weeds that were growing where water used to stand earlier in the year.

My dad wanted a picture so I obliged and he blasted it out to the family group chat.

(Check out lil red pulling that hot ass trailer)

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: September 11, 2023, 08:10:21 AM »
A couple of pictures from KY last week.  We saw exactly one tobacco field on the tour.  Behind a field of beans.  Someone was moving this monster combine on I 64 in Indiana. Not really sure what the super wide tires do for you vs a dual set up.

Tom

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 08:15:20 AM by KST8FAN »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #5874 on: September 14, 2023, 10:44:18 PM »
They limit tobacco fields these days. Heavily controlled harvest. As noted, many have been converted to soybeans.