Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 371978 times)

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
(and Tillie)

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Day two in the books!  Neighbor busted out his 6430 to pull wagons today. So desire one of those.  Silo filling has its benefits like copious amounts of bourbon when the day is done.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
I say this with the utmost respect and admiration but why are you doing it like that? is something going on that my age 0-18 farming life is missing (I was not paying attention most of those years so this is a VERY high probability)
You're probably used to a big self propelled cutter, trucks, and a pit?  This is a small part of the operation to winter cows for a neighbor. Still very much old school, old machinery to fill an upright silo in 3-4 days.

I realized this week too my cousin has like a crap load of tractors for the acres farmed. I am not sure he knows what trade in means.  LoL.

Tom

Tom, he sounds a lot like my old man. LOL
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
About wrapped up.  Tillie faithful to the end.  Guard the cooler, pick up loose ears, hang in the shop.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Ben ji go claim this juvenile bull as your own and start a herd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Gimme that cow. Not sure what to do with it, but it needs to be mine.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

you have to prove that you own it. the sheriff is on one side and you are on the other. you call to it and if it comes to you it's yours.

actually I have no rough ridin' clue how you'd claim this thing. obviously isn't branded. just show up and do it imo.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

you have to prove that you own it. the sheriff is on one side and you are on the other. you call to it and if it comes to you it's yours.

actually I have no rough ridin' clue how you'd claim this thing. obviously isn't branded. just show up and do it imo.

There's a nearly 100% chance I will do this.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I would ruffle the heck out of tillie's head. Great pooch
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
sd, can you have your father submit a bid for me on that boy cow?  i'd like to bring him home.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
anyone know the best part of the country to buy a hobby farm?  like the part of the country where you can get the most grass for your dollar.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
anyone know the best part of the country to buy a hobby farm?  like the part of the country where you can get the most grass for your dollar.
I do not but if I was guessing I’d say somewhere like New York or obvious places like shitty North Dakota.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
sd, can you have your father submit a bid for me on that boy cow?  i'd like to bring him home.
NO! ITS NOT YOUR COW (bull)!

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I bet you could buy some desert land in BFE Nevada for super cheap but you wouldn't have grass. If you're just looking for grass and not cropland I'm sure you could find an old house on the plains where the owner has recently died. The hard part would be finding one with only 40-60 acres of grassland and not some giant 1000+ acre farm with cropland.

Or just wait another 10 years until the boomers start really die'n off and buy some prepackaged hobby farm from them. 

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ben ji go claim this juvenile bull as your own and start a herd.

Let me remind you of the last time my dad tried to "start a herd" a couple of years ago.

Bought 3 feeder calves at the sale barn and put them in the 20 acre pen by the house which doubles as a junkyard, One died like 3 days after arriving back at the cat ranch.

A week after he bought them he went back to KC because he is an IRL city boy and the 2 remaining cows got out and wandered about 4 miles away where they were found chomping away in someone's crop field.

He had to drive the 5.5 hours back to the cat ranch to pick them up. Then like a week later they both got sick and he had to call out the vet to hit em with the Nuflor or something and then he finally realized he was never going to make any money off these suckers so he sold them back at the sale barn about 3 weeks after he bought them.

Now we just lease our pasture to cow farmer nate....and by lease I mean he currently pays us in work and has been replacing all the fencing around the cat ranch and fixing random crap.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Your pops escapades on the cat ranch have re affirmed my belief that farming is at the very least low/medium difficult
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
I used to play so much goddam pitch on weekends at the sale barn in republic county.  AMA

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I bet you could buy some desert land in BFE Nevada for super cheap but you wouldn't have grass.

yeah, i'm trying to find out where land is cheapest on a per cows it can support basis, not a per acre basis.  it's surprisingly hard to find that information.

my guess is that's probably missouri or kentucky or something.  somewhere with abundant rain, long growing seasons and where not a ton of people want to live in rural areas.

which i probably wouldn't either, but maybe i'd see somewhere at like, number six on the list, where i'd want to live.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I used to play so much goddam pitch on weekends at the sale barn in republic county.  AMA
Sale barn stories...   St Mary's, Holton, Falls City (NE), Wakarusa,...

Every sale barn had the little diner serving up hamburgers, fries, ice cold coke, and PIE, HOMEMADE PIE.

It all tasted great despite the smell of livestock that permeates the local sale barn.

Tom

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I bet you could buy some desert land in BFE Nevada for super cheap but you wouldn't have grass.

yeah, i'm trying to find out where land is cheapest on a per cows it can support basis, not a per acre basis.  it's surprisingly hard to find that information.

my guess is that's probably missouri or kentucky or something.  somewhere with abundant rain, long growing seasons and where not a ton of people want to live in rural areas.

which i probably wouldn't either, but maybe i'd see somewhere at like, number six on the list, where i'd want to live.

There is some sort of formula in the midwest based on how much rain you get = how many cows you can stock per acre. I remember seeing it on some university extension site but a 10 second google search of "Cows per acre per inch of rain" yielded no results.

So basically find the cheapest land that gets alot of rain and has mainly grass for cows and not tree's (Unfortunately I think people have been doing this for hundreds of years on the plains).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think you can safely just assume that the places with the most cows already are the places you are looking for

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

That is my cow, I acquired it through a trade and his name is Mr. Pickles. If anyone in Collins county tells you otherwise tell them to talk to the Judge

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

That is my cow, I acquired it through a trade and his name is Mr. Pickles. If anyone in Collins county tells you otherwise tell them to talk to the Judge

Yeah, that's for sure your bovine, Mr. Pickles. No doubt about it. Clear as day. And I'm an officer of the court.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice

Mississippi is quite green in this hot ass summer. Would support the cows quite well.