Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 386256 times)

farming_cat fan, PandaXpanda and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4425 on: December 21, 2021, 07:10:26 PM »

:frown:
This is incredible and awful. Not all that far from my hometown.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4426 on: December 21, 2021, 07:18:17 PM »

:frown:
This is incredible and awful. Not all that far from my hometown.

Very sad and awful. :pray:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: December 23, 2021, 08:57:23 AM »
About 20 minutes south of Manhattan. I think this barely qualifies as a hobby farm. Although my parents rent it for pasture and crops, they go there somewhat regularly to maintain the fence and do other hobby farm stuff like pick up sticks and put them in a ditch.

I don't know why there are two ponds here, but I got the impression it was intentional. ???

My dad must have took all of the useless junk that was in here and put it in his giant shed at home before it collapsed.

This antique is probably worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

My dad likes that the beavers help him fight the menace of too many trees.

You're probably asking yourself what these things are. Believe it or not, they are cow bones.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: December 23, 2021, 08:59:15 AM »
That’s good work chum

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: December 23, 2021, 09:03:13 AM »
I was informed that apparently the fire affected leoti, ks and killed an old farmer who got surrounded. Pretty awful imagining that.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: December 23, 2021, 10:31:38 AM »
I was informed that apparently the fire affected leoti, ks and killed an old farmer who got surrounded. Pretty awful imagining that.
awful

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: December 23, 2021, 10:34:27 AM »
great stuff, chum1. looks like a great place to just go wander around.

there is a place south of 1-70 (off of McDowell Cr Rd, I believe) called Birdrunner. Used to have these cabins that you could rent and then wander around the hills and a creek. don't think it is open to the public at this time but is was kind of in that area.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: December 23, 2021, 01:04:01 PM »

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: December 23, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
About 20 minutes south of Manhattan. I think this barely qualifies as a hobby farm. Although my parents rent it for pasture and crops, they go there somewhat regularly to maintain the fence and do other hobby farm stuff like pick up sticks and put them in a ditch.

I don't know why there are two ponds here, but I got the impression it was intentional. ???

My dad must have took all of the useless junk that was in here and put it in his giant shed at home before it collapsed.

You're probably asking yourself what these things are. Believe it or not, they are cow bones.

Dwight, KS?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: December 23, 2021, 02:04:28 PM »
Dwight, KS?

About halfway in between Dwight and I-70.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: December 23, 2021, 03:22:46 PM »

That's a hot piece of hobby farm ass.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: December 23, 2021, 08:11:32 PM »
Chum I think you got the skeletal remains of a corn binder.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: December 23, 2021, 08:36:22 PM »
Chum, is there still some beavers on the farm?  That tree was chewed on quite a while ago.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: December 23, 2021, 09:33:52 PM »
Chum, is there still some beavers on the farm?  That tree was chewed on quite a while ago.
katdaddy no!

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: December 23, 2021, 10:43:56 PM »
katdaddy no!

Steve, I'm talking hairy beavers with large teeth that build dams for a hobby.  I have been laying off hairy tuna fish for a while.  :D

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4440 on: December 23, 2021, 10:44:16 PM »

Yeah, they've actually moved on. Need some more!

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: December 23, 2021, 10:53:00 PM »

Are the dams man-made or beaver built?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: December 23, 2021, 10:58:37 PM »

Are the dams man-made or beaver built?

One is beaver. I don't know how many man made. I got confused by the pond talk.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: December 24, 2021, 07:12:54 AM »

Before excavators became popular it was easier just to build a new pond than cut and clean out an old one.  Also didn't have to source new water while old one dried out before cleaning.

Also, also can never have enough water.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: December 24, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »
The beavers agree and enjoy the ponds.  :D

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: December 30, 2021, 09:31:55 AM »
My brother almost burned down Thomas County earlier this week. He was out at the cat ranch cutting firewood with a chainsaw and hit a nail that was buried in a dead tree.

Sparks went flying and caught some grass on fire which spread fast due to the wind and it being dry. Luckily it was in the windbreak and not an open field of grass so he was able to stomp it out once the fire ran into the trees/out of grass.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: December 30, 2021, 10:15:02 AM »
Imagine how many pheasants would have burned to death
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: December 30, 2021, 11:16:56 AM »
My brother almost burned down Thomas County earlier this week. He was out at the cat ranch cutting firewood with a chainsaw and hit a nail that was buried in a dead tree.

Sparks went flying and caught some grass on fire which spread fast due to the wind and it being dry. Luckily it was in the windbreak and not an open field of grass so he was able to stomp it out once the fire ran into the trees/out of grass.

Yeah, his chainsaw hit a nail....that's what happened

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: December 30, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »

Yeah, his chainsaw hit a nail....that's what happened

Marihuana cigarettes, more than likely. Smdh.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: December 30, 2021, 07:12:21 PM »
I must admit I'm pretty ignorant about wildfires.  Burnt a lot of pasture, but that was always controlled burn in NEKS.

Watched a neighbor burn up a  round baler, and had a few bales hit by lightning.  We think someone burnt up the round bales all stacked tight in the barn yard one year, but nothing else hurt.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk