Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 370152 times)

ben ji, BBF$$Kat and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Not sure if I have updated this thread recently but my dad is currently breaking out 250 acres of the 400 acre pasture BY HIMSELF. Like I thought he was gonna pay someone to do it but nope, he borrowed a tractor/disc from the guy who is gonna farm it and started breaking it out himself because he was bored. Apparently he is exhausted from riding in the tractor all day discing dirt instead of reposting memes on facebook.

Not gonna lie, I'm slightly impressed that my dad still has the farmer go get it to just say eff it give me the tractor and I'll disc it up myself.

The remaining 150 acres of pasture is by the creek and we are getting like $15 an acre from the state of KS to let it grow wild and not grow/graze anything on it.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
30 years ago my dad was just like SD, I'm a big city boy now! Sell the land yada yada yada. I didnt go to college and study computers to be a cow/wheat/corn/sorghum farmer etc etc etc.

Then he retired, inherited a little bit of land and now he is all about that farmer life because he has nothing else to do.

Just saying SD, maybe hold on to a lil bit of the land so you have something to do in your 60's.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My childhood memories of my dad was him wearing khakis and a white dress shirt to work every day with a clean shaven face and an 80's mustache while he did computer stuff. He wanted nothing to do with that farm life.

Now he has a santa clause length beard and spends his days playing around on his hobby farm he inherited and going to the cow/goat/sheep/whatever auction. I'm happy for him and can't wait to inherit the hobby farm/pheasant reserve.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That's a beautiful before and after.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
I wouldn’t trust anyone from THE BAY AREA when it comes to farming. Just my two cents there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you know what the mascot of bay area school Hayward High is?

I'll give you a little hint, it's Farmers

get me a tshirt

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #3880 on: April 24, 2021, 06:54:06 PM »
30 years ago my dad was just like SD, I'm a big city boy now! Sell the land yada yada yada. I didnt go to college and study computers to be a cow/wheat/corn/sorghum farmer etc etc etc.

Then he retired, inherited a little bit of land and now he is all about that farmer life because he has nothing else to do.

Just saying SD, maybe hold on to a lil bit of the land so you have something to do in your 60's.
Maybe I haven’t been clear enough about the amount of hardcore farming I did for 18 years. I’ve farmed more than most “farmers” you know that are at retirement age. I can assure you I have a very strong understanding and appreciation for what this stuff entails and the opportunity cost to me and my family. And bro, it is not for me.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 06:57:23 PM by steve dave »

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
FOLKS

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also check out those abandoned 1920s houses in pic 4. We have dozens of those stupid things that could get washed down stream and block the road at any moment.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also I had misremembered the weight limit sign as a 5 mph sign. Makes a lot more sense tbh.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #3884 on: April 24, 2021, 08:26:18 PM »
Also I made my dad drive his ass out there and get these pics exclusively for this thread. So you’re welcome assholes.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That's a mountain of burdensome liability. He's getting the short end of the stick on this one.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Thanks SD Dad!  Those are incredible.  I like that he made the effort to get a shot underneath.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
It looks in great shape
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Who used to live in the houses?

What does the "020" sign on the bridge denote?

Did the Corp of Engineers build it?

That things not falling down anytime soon. If it does, we're talking an act of god that would probably absolve the dave family of any liability.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
It looks in great shape

In those days they built bridges out of toothpicks and bailing wire, and they were better off for it. Cheaper, yet more durable and reliable than today's bridges.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Who used to live in the houses?

What does the "020" sign on the bridge denote?

Did the Corp of Engineers build it?

That things not falling down anytime soon. If it does, we're talking an act of god that would probably absolve the dave family of any liability.

I think they were old "homesteads" from when people got some piece of land. our ranch is probably like a dozen of them or so. I'm not good with acres. but there are a ton of those old houses and barns and stuff all over it pretty evenly spaced out.

no clue

I would guess so. or whoever the state used for engineering back then.

yeah, I think it's got another 50 years of senior photos in it.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I want to think the houses are remnants of The Homestead Act and Dust Bowl. If they aren't, I don't want to hear about it.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I want to think the houses are remnants of The Homestead Act and Dust Bowl. If they aren't, I don't want to hear about it.

I'm positive they are. I'll take pictures of others when we are down there. also I'll ask my dad.

protip: don't walk on their roofs. you will fall through and wrack yourself on the ceiling frames and have to call your dad on the two way radio to come get you and think you have to go to the hospital and miss baseball practice because your balls and crotch are so busted from wracking. according to some junior high canadian guy I know.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
People got 160 acres. Or in terms my dad would use, "A quarter section. You know how many acres a section is, right? That's one mile by one mile." So, you might have four houses per square mile.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
yeah, I think a mile from each other is about right. 3 of them are still viable places to live. my bro and his family lives in one. one of the cowboys that works for us lives in one. and my dad has one that he throws like country parties and crap at for some ridiculous reason and always talks about when my mom kicks him out he'll live there. obviously not the original houses but I think maybe the locations.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Also check out those abandoned 1920s houses in pic 4. We have dozens of those stupid things that could get washed down stream and block the road at any moment.

Not to mention the two giant dead wood piles next to the stream in pic 2 and actually in the stream bed in the last one.

And I know it has already been mentioned but that bridge isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm impressed by the amount of tree's visible in those pictures.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Folks, why do farmers buy old school busses? Noticed a bunch on my drive through Illinois. Is that really the best investment for storage purposes?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Folks, why do farmers buy old school busses? Noticed a bunch on my drive through Illinois. Is that really the best investment for storage purposes?
I have never experienced this. Maybe it’s an IL thing

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
One of my uncle’s buddies bought one to haul pigs in one time. I can think of a lot of reasons why it was a dumb idea but that is what he did.   I think sometimes they are purchased with the idea of making a mobile shop for repairs, etc also. Don’t know if any kstategrad farmers who have done this.