Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 372716 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
End

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:55:54 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We turned the Auger on after and it works, should be able to start storing grain in there again.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:56:16 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I took my brothers jacked up golf cart out to the pasture and the steering strut(?) Broke on a front wheel while I was going 5mph.

Got my dad and we tried to tow it but the wheels wouldn't stay straight. We ended up jacking the front of the cart up then backed lil red up to it and chained the front axle to the truck. This was an impressive engineering feat for 2 city boys.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:56:40 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I did some actual disgusting work at the cat ranch today. The large grain bin had not been used since 2011 and had a bunch of old rotted/wheat in the bottom by the Auger that I shoveled out along with like 10 mummified starlings that got down the Auger. (Sidenote- I'd never seen the bottom of a grain bin and had no idea they went below ground)

Before

Also please tell me that most people use some sort of vaccum thing to do this job. I had a shovel and a 5 gallon bucket and it suuuuuuccccckkked.

Filled up 4 feed sacks with wheat/dirt/gunk that my dad is using as compost.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:57:34 PM by ben ji »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
No, that’s how you do it. I had to do that tons. It sucks crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
We turned the Auger on after and it works, should be able to start storing grain in there again.
Need a grate over that auger benji.   I know a guy who lost a foot in one of those meat grinders.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I would not trade places with you benji but hauled a winters worth of cow crap today out of the corral. 10+ dump truck loads.

Tom

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
I would not trade places with you benji but hauled a winters worth of cow crap today out of the corral. 10+ dump truck loads.

Tom

And just like that, the term "dump truck" makes sense.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Need a grate over that auger benji.   I know a guy who lost a foot in one of those meat grinders.

Tom

I was not in there when we tested it. If no one is going to be in there when its running is a grate necessary?

You are the grain bin savant so I will trust whatever you say.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Tom

On a similar vein my I saw my dad shoveling cow poop from the massive pile by the corral into lil red. He emptied 1 load into some low spots on the lawn and gave me a tub to take home to use in my garden.

Do you dump the poop on fields for fertilizer?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:04:39 PM by ben ji »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2160 on: March 08, 2020, 07:17:23 AM »
Let me tell you a grossout farm poop fertilizer story. Feedlots are like industrialized cow poop creation facilities. They will often be kind of sloped so the poop runs downhill when it rains or whatever. There is one that is next to a bunch of land of ours. They have a giant poop containment pond on the downhill side of it. Just a black water poop holder. Anyway, we put this giant lawn sprinkler thing connected to a fire hose in it. Like one of those that goes in a circle but gigantic and shoots a fire truck hose amount of water (or in this case like cow diarrhea). It blast it all over a field of ours whenever we fire it up. So it’s like a massive spray of cow diarrhea airborne for like a quarter mile. Imagine like you are a majestic bald eagle or a 12 point white tail buck and you’re minding your own business eating whatever sd dad grows in this field and all of a sudden you are just blasted off your feet by cow diarrhea. Sickening.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
I didn’t know the SD family owned land in SF too. :surprised:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Im assuming SD's dad gets the poop for free? Pretty good deal for both parties IMO.

Also LOL at the visual of a 12 point buck chomping on some corn then getting blasted with cow Diarrhea.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Farmers Fight John Deere Over Who Gets to Fix an $800,000 Tractor
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-03-05/farmers-fight-john-deere-over-who-gets-to-fix-an-800-000-tractor

I would like to hear thoughts from you software geniuses on this forum.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Tom

On a similar vein my I saw my dad shoveling cow poop from the massive pile by the corral into lil red. He emptied 1 load into some low spots on the lawn and gave me a tub to take home to use in my garden.

Do you dump the poop on fields for fertilizer?
Clean manure went on terraces.  We'll let it dry out then disc it in.  The hay manure goes to ravines to slow erosion.

Not enough volume to justify the SD crap shower, but we probably need a spreader if the head count gets any bigger.

Fanningbrag... it takes talent to get ma nure out of a 50s era IH dump truck.  You dont want one huge pile.  Get the dump bed at the right angle then pop the clutch in low to get it sliding then floor it to "spread" it.

Tom

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Tom, I am very familiar with that move on getting stuff out of the back of dump trucks. It is certainly an art and one I may have mumped completely up multiple times.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Farmers Fight John Deere Over Who Gets to Fix an $800,000 Tractor
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-03-05/farmers-fight-john-deere-over-who-gets-to-fix-an-800-000-tractor

I would like to hear thoughts from you software geniuses on this forum.

Tom

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to create after market software, just as people do with other parts.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
i am also interested in the directionality and magnitude of cash changing hands in the crap slurry story.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Are the cats aggressive at meal time?  Our two house cats know what spoons clinking in bowls means they are getting ice cream residue or milk and cereal crumbs.  To the point of in your lap meowing hurry tf up so we can lick those out.

Tom

When I lived in town, my cats and dogs refused to drink cereal milk or straight out of the carton.  When I lived on the farm, the cats would drink it as I squirted it at them from the cow's teats.  I think the difference was the hormones and antibiotics in store bought milk.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:05:12 PM by Katpappy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
No, that’s how you do it. I had to do that tons. It sucks crap.

Canco that!  :thumbs:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2171 on: March 08, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »
i am also interested in the directionality and magnitude of cash changing hands in the crap slurry story.
I’m not 100% certain but I think it’s a no money changes hands thing. Also irl we could shut their entire operation down if we wanted based on the direction of diarrhea flow towards our land. I think the holding pond may actually be on our ground. We sell them an entire semi truck load of ground alfalfa every single day so we are pretty much on good terms one way or the other. Also I believe all of their other business type financial arrangements are handled by the sd family so there’s a lot of handshake farm mafia type crap going on.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think I’ve mentioned this already ITT but there are two things you need to be successful in cow farming. 1) your family already owns an absolute assload of land and cows and equipment 2) you are a master political deal master of farm mafia activities both farm to farm and farm to gov.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Basically it’s hard AF to just decide to do cow farming is what I’m saying.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
sd dad checks both of those boxes and I still nope’d the eff out of that life at like the age of 4.