Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 356186 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #1950 on: December 11, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
My uncle and cousin were doing actual farm work while I was chasing birds. Here they are laying out a roll of hay for the cows to eat.

:curse:

Man my grandpa hated the big rolls of hay.

He always thought that Hay got wasted because the cows trampled it.  He did small bales for years, until he was 75 or so and finally sold off the cows.

My old man was the same way.  Only problem was he would make 100-120lb bales with wire ties.  rough ridin' back breaker bales to haul from the field and stack.  :curse:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #1951 on: December 11, 2019, 10:22:22 PM »
I don’t think grandpas were that heavy.

He had this cool stacker thing that would scoop up and make a big block of bales that could be backed into the hay barn.

They just had to be lined up the right way to be picked up in the field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: December 12, 2019, 12:53:57 PM »
This could be the exact same one

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjrutrJoa_mAhUR8MAKHRoLCCkYABADGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2LTVXJlnoT-xR4fy6Ou0oFN_zK5aGQGZ1i-yMd73cvl1JSYG0W-Y5cJePi5mg7tsVvhI5GORqs_Fz4GgN0CFw&sig=AOD64_3FFIxXuNL8SueU76aA_hwt07iPuw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiU59DJoa_mAhULV80KHbPtDmYQwg96BAgKEA8&adurl=

We had a home made trailer that my dad made.  It had an hydraulic arm that would slide on the ground to pick up the bale and then my dad would push the lever on the tractor as he was traveling around 6 mph and the arm would flip up and throw the bale on the trailer.  Then a person(me) would stack it, since he couldn't get anyone to do it on the rough ridin' death machine.  We usually stacked 6 layers high and then would take them to an area where we would unload.  To unload it took a pto driven transmission that engaged a pully system that pushed the stack off the trailer.  We could get around 100 to 120 bales per stack and usually haul around one thousand bales per day.  It was a lot of hard work.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: December 12, 2019, 05:40:16 PM »
We weren't that sophisticated... had one of these and three teenage boys.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: December 12, 2019, 05:49:04 PM »
https://youtu.be/_BVtirYc6Pc

Graduated to the john deere bale thrower so eliminated loading,  but bales haphazardly packed in wagon were frustrating at the barn.

Tom

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
  • Help me get rid of it by sniffing it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: December 12, 2019, 08:30:04 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how that contraption works Tom...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: December 12, 2019, 08:38:13 PM »
We went to only the giant squares for about 10 years. Now back to round bails. Haven’t done small squares for a long time.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: December 12, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »

Graduated to the john deere bale thrower so eliminated loading,  but bales haphazardly packed in wagon were frustrating at the barn.

Tom

Tom, if you could image trying to stack those bales as they flew in the trailer; that was in a way what we had to do.  Image an arm on the side of the trailer with an hydraulic cylinder that flipped the bale on the trailer.  Just don't get in the way of it as it could bust your skull open.  That's why we couldn't get anybody to stack on the death trap, but me. 

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: December 12, 2019, 08:50:24 PM »
We went to only the giant squares for about 10 years. Now back to round bails. Haven’t done small squares for a long time.

Don't know how to handle big squares, but love big rd. bales for my horses.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #1960 on: December 12, 2019, 09:37:33 PM »
We have ground a semi load+ of alfalfa every day for about the last 25 years. We didn’t handle them (and don’t handle the rounds) for single use. Have a bi directional tractor thing with a loader grabber deal that picks them up and dumps them in the grinder which chews them up and dumps them into the semi trailer. It’s a giant pain in the ass and ground alfalfa gets everywhere and I hate the crap out of the entire process.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: December 12, 2019, 09:53:14 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how that contraption works Tom...
https://youtu.be/Z65yUj-OFn0

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: December 12, 2019, 09:56:02 PM »

Tom

Tom, if you could image trying to stack those bales as they flew in the trailer; that was in a way what we had to do.  Image an arm on the side of the trailer with an hydraulic cylinder that flipped the bale on the trailer.  Just don't get in the way of it as it could bust your skull open.  That's why we couldn't get anybody to stack on the death trap, but me.
My dad hopped in the wagon once... one row left and wagon was full. He kind of made a landing shot and stacked bales as they flew off that thing.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: December 12, 2019, 10:04:12 PM »
We have ground a semi load+ of alfalfa every day for about the last 25 years. We didn’t handle them (and don’t handle the rounds) for single use. Have a bi directional tractor thing with a loader grabber deal that picks them up and dumps them in the grinder which chews them up and dumps them into the semi trailer. It’s a giant pain in the ass and ground alfalfa gets everywhere and I hate the crap out of the entire process.

https://spencersales.hibid.com/lot/72122-63744-13416/gehl-bh1500-bale-handler--3pt-mount/

https://youtu.be/fI6lsnN1MsA

Once we went large round got one of these bad boys.

Tom

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 10:10:10 PM by KST8FAN »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: December 12, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
These are what we use. Have a couple of them last I knew.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: December 12, 2019, 10:37:39 PM »
These are what we use. Have a couple of them last I knew.

What is that mini usb topknot looking guy in the background?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: December 12, 2019, 11:02:36 PM »
I don’t know what any of that means

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: December 12, 2019, 11:23:41 PM »
I don’t know what any of that means

The folded up tractor thing in the middle top leftist
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: December 13, 2019, 06:54:59 AM »
Oh, that’s a disc. They plow fields. Or possibly a sweep. They also plow fields. Can’t really tell from the photo. They fold up like that so you can drive around with them and fit on the road or whatever. I took a giant chunk of asphalt out of the main road in Meade with one on a few different occasions.

Offline Ksuminnesotacat

• Combo-Fan
  • Being a Viking fan has its own issues
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: December 13, 2019, 07:05:28 AM »
Came across this wanted to inquire if this is anywhere close to Benji’s place? Watch the barn kids if so!  :Take the Bait:

https://www.redstate.com/jenvanlaar/2019/12/12/nightmare-audio-suburban-couple-wake-mountain-lion-killing-raccoon-yard/
Effort management sucks spell it out taserface!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: December 13, 2019, 08:18:10 AM »
Oh, that’s a disc. They plow fields. Or possibly a sweep. They also plow fields. Can’t really tell from the photo. They fold up like that so you can drive around with them and fit on the road or whatever. I took a giant chunk of asphalt out of the main road in Meade with one on a few different occasions.

The thing to the right of that is possibly a drill. It plants seeds. Could be something else though.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: December 13, 2019, 08:35:59 AM »
Got a farm question for you guys. How much are one of those large round Alfalfa bales worth? I saw some being moved on a flatbed via I-70 the other day and didn't think they would be worth the transportation costs.

My uncle has like a bajillion of them hanging out on our farm.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: December 13, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
$150/bale maybe?  :dunno:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: December 13, 2019, 11:42:01 AM »
Is there a better smell than fresh cut alfalfa?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: December 13, 2019, 12:02:03 PM »
Got a farm question for you guys. How much are one of those large round Alfalfa bales worth? I saw some being moved on a flatbed via I-70 the other day and didn't think they would be worth the transportation costs.

My uncle has like a bajillion of them hanging out on our farm.

Depends on a lot of factors. Time of year, draught status, etc. They were valuable AF when nobody could grow grass in Western KS a few years back. Also if you have dry land alfalfa they can get pretty valuable because then you can sell them to horse race people for some reason (drugs?).