Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 369910 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2000 on: December 17, 2019, 11:23:13 PM »
Speaking of shovels, last time I was out there my dad had me clean out the ash pit from the fireplace and I had to use the stupid little ash shovel.  I had no idea there was that much room for ash under the fireplace.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2001 on: December 17, 2019, 11:27:35 PM »
Also since no one lived at the house for like 20 years there is an infinite amount of dead trees/limbs in the windbreak for firewood.

I'm getting my dad a gas powered chainsaw for Christmas because he currently has a cheap ass electric chainsaw from harbor freight. He throws whole limbs in the back of his lil truck and hauls them close enough to the house so he can run an extension cord to cut them up.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: December 18, 2019, 08:11:21 AM »
 :D
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: December 18, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »
the legend grows

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: December 18, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
By poke around I mean kick the dirt piles and maybe try and remember to grab a shovel or something from the quonset building.

If it's fire ants, good luck winning that fight with a shovel.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: December 18, 2019, 11:43:17 AM »
fire ants aren't in kansas.  at least not yet.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: December 18, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »

You thinking these monsters that regularly attacked me as a youth are Harvesters? They were giant and red and mean AF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: December 18, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
yeah, harvester ants are big.  fire ants are small.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: December 18, 2019, 12:26:17 PM »
I knew it!

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: December 18, 2019, 12:27:00 PM »
What about those big, mean bastards that you always see along the railroad tracks?
@mikec2w

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2010 on: December 18, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
You guys ever got the living crap stung out of you by a velvet ant? Well guess what, that thing is irl a WASP! Learned that from a book about bugs that lil sd has. Also it feels like you got shot by a gun filled with poison bullets that are made of lava when they sting you. Also they call them Cow Killers because they will kill the crap out of a cow (probably not but the name would indicate it’s a possibility).

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: December 18, 2019, 04:23:33 PM »
I don't know that I've ever been bitten by an ant
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: December 18, 2019, 06:53:32 PM »
I burned many an ant with a magnifying glass when I was a lil slack.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: December 18, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »
Stepped I'm a fire ant hill as a child. No not recommend.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: December 18, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »
Fell on top of fire ant hill when I was drunk. I do not recommend doing that.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: December 18, 2019, 08:32:10 PM »
dipped my honey covered ball sack into a giant pissed off pile of fire ants when I was...just shut up people. quit trying to one up my ant poison stories.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: December 18, 2019, 09:23:36 PM »
Also since no one lived at the house for like 20 years there is an infinite amount of dead trees/limbs in the windbreak for firewood.

I'm getting my dad a gas powered chainsaw for Christmas because he currently has a cheap ass electric chainsaw from harbor freight. He throws whole limbs in the back of his lil truck and hauls them close enough to the house so he can run an extension cord to cut them up.
https://lifttrucksupplyinc.com/turbo-saw-rotating-tree-saw/amp/

Quit messing around benji... get dad a skid steer and one of these.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: December 18, 2019, 09:31:58 PM »
I think I've documented fairly well the folly of getting one or more skid steers itt.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: December 19, 2019, 12:30:08 AM »

Are you sure?  I grow up in western Kansas 1 mile from Cedar Bluff and red ants were all over the place.  Only thing anyone called them was red ants.  When bitten or stung, it felt like a hot match on your skin.  They would swarm on you if you were on their ant hill or in their path.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:43:03 AM by Katpappy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: December 19, 2019, 06:43:34 AM »
Those are harvesters. And yes they are giant assholes.

Offline Ksuminnesotacat

• Combo-Fan
  • Being a Viking fan has its own issues
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: December 19, 2019, 08:18:28 AM »
Those are harvesters. And yes they are giant assholes.

:ROFL: :ROFL:
Effort management sucks spell it out taserface!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: December 19, 2019, 08:31:10 AM »

https://lifttrucksupplyinc.com/turbo-saw-rotating-tree-saw/amp/

Quit messing around benji... get dad a skid steer and one of these.

Tom

Tom,

This ain't no fancy pants flint hills farm where you can snap your fingers and grow a tree then saw it down for fun. This is a NW KS farm where it takes like 20 years to grow a 10ft tall tree, no need to get crazy with a skid steer saw, just need to remove some old dead limbs and cut them into firewood.

I was looking at some old aerial photo's from the 80's and it looks like my grandpa just loved planting windbreak trees and kept on planting them. The main windbreak is an L shape and .25 miles long, 3 to 4 rows deep. There are also four or 5 other single row windbreaks scattered throughout the house/barn/buildings area.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: December 19, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »
Early settlers could get a free quarter section of land if they built a home and lived on it for a minimum of 5 years.  Also, they had to plant a wind row consisting of 1/4M of trees that thrived.  In the Hutchinson area they planted hedge trees because they were easy to grow.  The area around Hays, they planted cedar trees or cottonwood trees.
I'm sure SD knows what they planted around the Dighton area.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: December 19, 2019, 10:18:34 AM »
The only thing I know that was planted in the ground around Dighton was their football players when we whipped their asses 24/7/365.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: December 20, 2019, 06:40:27 PM »
NE Kansas has all of it... hedge, cedars, locust. Until I start getting that carbon credit check for the CO2 they absorb it's my mission to cut them all down.

Tom