Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 355816 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2051 on: January 09, 2020, 05:27:54 PM »
In the old days they used knockers...

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2052 on: January 09, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »
We have gas and diesel tanks. HS sd used to fill the eff up on farm gas whenever sd dad wasn’t looking. Our cowboys get free gas. Also a pickup. Also a house. Also utilities paid. Also beef. Pretty elite gig outside of having to cow farm 24/7/365 open on Sunday’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do your cowboys all stay in the same bunkhouse like in the old westerns and that show Yellowstone or do they have their own houses?

Own regular houses

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: January 15, 2020, 08:27:21 AM »
If you don't keep your barn cat population up you may have to call in this guy.

https://www.agweb.com/article/rat-hunting-dogs-war-farmings-greatest-show-legs

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: January 18, 2020, 08:43:35 AM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-u-s-hasnt-planted-this-little-wheat-in-more-than-a-century-11579277354?shareToken=st6b469c471bfc47a387967d0e9f9d22ae&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

The last time that U.S. farmers planted so few acres with winter wheat, William Howard Taft was president and the opening salvos of World War I were still five years away.

About 30.8 million acres were planted with winter wheat this season, down 1% from the year before and not much more than the roughly 29.2 million acres that were seeded in 1909, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Farmers coax far more wheat from each acre than they did 111 years ago, but much of the decline in planted acres has come in recent years, concurrent with Russia’s ascent as the world’s dominant supplier and Midwestern farmers’ turn to more profitable crops, like corn and soybeans.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: January 18, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/fxnaXKR4Ueo

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: January 18, 2020, 08:43:49 PM »
https://youtu.be/fxnaXKR4Ueo

Tom

Its kind of crazy looking through "Top Producing Countries" for crops and seeing China at the top or top 5 of almost every ag commodity list.

I guess they have a billion more people than us tho so it makes sense.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: January 21, 2020, 09:15:23 PM »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: January 23, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-u-s-hasnt-planted-this-little-wheat-in-more-than-a-century-11579277354?shareToken=st6b469c471bfc47a387967d0e9f9d22ae&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

The last time that U.S. farmers planted so few acres with winter wheat, William Howard Taft was president and the opening salvos of World War I were still five years away.

About 30.8 million acres were planted with winter wheat this season, down 1% from the year before and not much more than the roughly 29.2 million acres that were seeded in 1909, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Farmers coax far more wheat from each acre than they did 111 years ago, but much of the decline in planted acres has come in recent years, concurrent with Russia’s ascent as the world’s dominant supplier and Midwestern farmers’ turn to more profitable crops, like corn and soybeans.

Too many pansies that won't eat gluten.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: January 23, 2020, 09:37:19 AM »
We must rise up and slay the anti-glutites
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:44 PM »
We must rise up and slay the anti-glutites

Lib, you know what this means.  Some MAGA types will need to put a hit on "O", due to her cauliflower flour that's she's promoting with her various products only to please "anti-glutites" with the "anti glutton flour". 
BIG TROUBLE IN "WW" LAND!!!     :horrorsurprise:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 05:16:33 PM by Katpappy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: January 28, 2020, 02:36:02 PM »
This little fella needed TLC after being born... so got to hang in the kitchen for the evening at the bunk house.

Tom

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: January 28, 2020, 03:28:35 PM »
how about that. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: January 28, 2020, 03:34:02 PM »
We used to have tiny little baby cows in our mud room fairly regularly.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: February 01, 2020, 11:48:34 AM »
Got a new toy out on the farm, some sort of pimped out golf cart my brother brought out. Here you can see my dad utilizing it on his way to feed the cats.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: February 01, 2020, 12:34:37 PM »
Also starting March of 2021 my Uncle will no longer have the lease to the cat ranch....Yup, ole ben ji's dad is going to be running it himself. Current plan is to break out about 100 acres of pasture into cropland (I found a soil map of the farm and showed my dad where the good soil in the pasture was) and hopefully get another 80 acres that have playa lakes on them into CRP.

That will still leave around 200 acres of Pasture and I'm trying to convince my dad to lease that to someone since he doesnt live out there and cant run cattle/meat goats himself.

I plan on utilizing the collective farm knowledge of gE on this adventure, should be fun!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: February 01, 2020, 12:52:45 PM »
Tell him to grease his damn zerks

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: February 01, 2020, 12:53:18 PM »
Or not, it doesn’t matter

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: February 01, 2020, 04:25:56 PM »
Also starting March of 2021 my Uncle will no longer have the lease to the cat ranch....Yup, ole ben ji's dad is going to be running it himself. Current plan is to break out about 100 acres of pasture into cropland (I found a soil map of the farm and showed my dad where the good soil in the pasture was) and hopefully get another 80 acres that have playa lakes on them into CRP.

That will still leave around 200 acres of Pasture and I'm trying to convince my dad to lease that to someone since he doesnt live out there and cant run cattle/meat goats himself.

I plan on utilizing the collective farm knowledge of gE on this adventure, should be fun!
Changing renters on a couple pastures this spring too.  goEMAW survey what's the going rate for cow-calf pairs in your area?

Tomhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e35fa8d026c9/Bluestem_2019_Report_FINAL%20%281%29.pdf

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: February 01, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »

Changing renters on a couple pastures this spring too.  goEMAW survey what's the going rate for cow-calf pairs in your area?

Tomhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e35fa8d026c9/Bluestem_2019_Report_FINAL%20%281%29.pdf

How do you find people to rent your pasture? Is there a craigslist for farming? Do you put up a sign on the bulletin board at the local church/community center?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: February 01, 2020, 05:01:38 PM »

How do you find people to rent your pasture? Is there a craigslist for farming? Do you put up a sign on the bulletin board at the local church/community center?
Grass and grain
https://www.grassandgrain.com/kansas-newspaper-subscriptions.html

Hi plains journal
https://www.hpj.com/

Tom

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: February 01, 2020, 07:28:55 PM »
So as gEer's say, your dad's going to be another welfare sucking farmer.  Don't worry since 20% of them went bankrupt last year.  :dubious:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: February 03, 2020, 06:54:40 AM »
Hi Plains Journal is for sure the route. That’s where we post to hire cowboys at.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: February 03, 2020, 10:11:41 PM »
Read HPJ since I was a kid.  It's changed over the years as to mostly classifieds.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: February 07, 2020, 10:40:29 AM »
Subject: Farm Departure List

This board is on the fridge at farm -

Farm now has open kitcheb sink drain, new plumbing below kitchen sink, AND the septic tank has been pumped !

Little yellow cat recovering from near death - Biomox (lil's old med) helped her recover from very hard time.  Most cats in Morton.  Caught 3 possums in Morton (1 by hand) moved 3.5 miles West.

2 auto feeders in garage, 2 now in Morton.  Will likely shut half off over summer.

Collected 20 more ears of corn feeding pheasants in wind breaks and around.

I can't wait to hear the story about #10 on the departure list....