Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 355915 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
I feel like the delegging incident should be reported but that statute of limitations is surely passed by now

in all seriousness they were both going to die if it didn't come out so pretty much it was a hail mary. I'm about to drop some high cow farmer IQ knowledge: beef has always been bred to be bigger and bigger. which is great, until they are too big at birth to be born. it's kind of a redneck science to cross breeds to actually be born small, but gain weight rapidly. but you get stuff like this all the time. we probably lose 2% a year from this. or if they do get them out they are hip locked which means the mom cow can't even walk anymore. sometimes we'd hoist them up with a vice thing on their hips from the front loader of a tractor to get their legs under them and leave them like that for a day or two to see if they'd come around and walk again but that rarely works. usually you have to put them down.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #1251 on: August 24, 2018, 09:54:05 PM »
Well I enjoy beef very much and like my burgers and tacos and all kinds of stuff made of beef. So, I’m OK with some deviant behavior in the processing of the said animal(cow). This isn’t The Jungle we are talking about here and some rando dudes arm is in my taco/burg whatever so it’s all good SD.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Putting on rubber glove all the way to your shoulder, then sticking said arm all the way into cows anus is the worst job.  Or being a small farm and having all the jobs at the same time.  Castration comes last as they have usually passed all their crap out after everything else that was done to them.  Usually...

Wenching a calf out of its mother sucks pretty bad too.

what if I told you I've used fence stretchers to pull one and, in one of the most traumatic events of my little kid life, we hooked a truck to front feet and pulled the legs straight off of the little stuck cow.

:sdeek: :frown:

:sdeek:  I've seen a lot on the farm.  That tops anything I've seen in a birthing moment.  I feel emotional scarring just visualizing it.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
i always call it "the summer of rain" when i tell stories from that summer and immediately everyone knows exactly when i am referring to

pretty amazing and a very special moment in mhk history so i commissioned my grandmother to quilt a mhk "summer of rain" memorial quilt and matching vest.  the quilt's motto is "you can wash away our ground soil but nothing can wash away our pride of mhk."    she didn't know how to quilt and never made them for me so i guess you can say what you want but i consider them both to be in the design phase.  hopefully i can get them pulled together (pun) soon.  one surprising fact about the quilt design is that the overarching color scheme does not incorporate purple.  people act like everything in mhk needs to be purple.  don't tell a mhk indian that though because their colors don't bleed.

I call that the summer stone got super jacked and killed it with ladies

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Worked for local vet thru high school.  He had cow herd that was all AI.  He would buy any crap cow at local sales and implant a simmental embryo.  Pasture full of cows of every breed and color with a simmental calf on them.

Helping implant was my sex ed.

Dad was a feeder/backgrounder.   I loaded the chute then did growth implants, ear tags, brand.   Dad did the shots, pour on, and castrate.  Ten head at a time then repeat.

Learned early on you either crowd calves by getting right up against them or keep arms length plus hot shot.  That 2-3 foot range your just setting yourself up for a hoof to the nuts.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #1255 on: August 25, 2018, 01:24:28 PM »
Oh yes, ralgro is also ear tagger job. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Dehorning is safe but gross. We used to castrate bulls but then got the vet to do them after I got older. Fixin fence beats the hell out of the latter.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
how many cows does it take to increase one's satisfaction and happiness?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Zero is the optimal amount for me

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
LoL. Poor little SD. Traumatized.

Speaking of little SD. Does he get to visit the farm and learn farm crap?

oh hell yes. he just spent five days there by himself. he came back with a giant gallon zip lock bag of about 200 keys and locked padlocks that the keys had been lost for. he said, "grandpa said I could have them". I was like, but why would you want them? to a 5 year old 200 old ass keys is a pretty cool thing apparently. he mostly rides four wheelers and UTVs and rides around in the front seat of the truck with no car seat on dirt roads and other dangerous AF stuff. so it's essentially hillbilly disney world for him.

Make sure you do this every summer. Some of my best childhood memories are when I would spend a week on the grandparents farm doing everything you just described. My only rule was I couldn't go faster than 40mph on the 4 wheeler...as a 9 year old.

Also when you are there in the winter you should definitely tie a sled to the back of a pickup and tow lil SD around in the pasture. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i think at least 25.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
25 isn’t enough to make money but too many to have any free time to travel and crap. The only reasonable numbers are 0 / 500+

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
25 isn’t enough to make money but too many to have any free time to travel and crap. The only reasonable numbers are 0 / 500+

i'm talking about hobby farming here, sd.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

i'm talking about hobby farming here, sd.

alexa, what's the shittiest hobby anyone has ever thought of?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
alexa, what's the shittiest hobby anyone has ever thought of?

golf.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
0 or 2.  Zero, because, why would you if you don't need to?  2 if you want to have a continuous supply of beef and don't know anyone else with cattle.  1 to butcher now, 1 to butcher in a year, after 1 is butchered get another.  Repeat cycle.  Depending on your family size, a quarter could last a whole year, so you could sell the extra 3 quarters to friends and get a lot of your money back.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
0 or 2.  Zero, because, why would you if you don't need to?  2 if you want to have a continuous supply of beef and don't know anyone else with cattle.  1 to butcher now, 1 to butcher in a year, after 1 is butchered get another.  Repeat cycle.  Depending on your family size, a quarter could last a whole year, so you could sell the extra 3 quarters to friends and get a lot of your money back.

the whole point of hobby animal keeping is to watch the animals produce baby animals.  so you need enough for baby cow production.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

the whole point of hobby animal keeping is to watch the animals produce baby animals.  so you need enough for baby cow production.
eff that.  Spring grass calves are where it's at.  Depending where you live and acreage is what determines amount of cattle to raise.  Case closed.  Also nice to butcher one and presell what you're not able to eat within a year.  Farmer and Pub. reasoning.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Then I agree with SD.  Sounds like a horrible hobby.  But, it all depends on how much land you have really.  1 bull for every 10-40 heifers depending on breed. So 11?  I can't see it ever increasing ones satisfaction and happiness though.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
that's two votes for 11.  but 11 is clearly not enough.  very odd.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
My stepdad runs about 100 head. Claims it supplements his retirement income. I think he's just avoiding my Mom like the rest of the family.

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Hot shot pro-tip #2:  If they've already been spotted with pour-on, make sure you zap them in ass or flank and not the back.  That stuff is very flammable.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
if you get a cow that flips its stupid ass upside down in the chute here is what you do:

build a new chute in the area next to the existing chute that can now never be used again because there is absolutely no way you're getting that thing flipped back over right side and it's just going to die and rot there.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My stepdad runs about 100 head. Claims it supplements his retirement income. I think he's just avoiding my Mom like the rest of the family.

100 would be a dream come true.  the perfect number.