Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 356115 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
I've never heard of anyone with barn cats spaying or neutering one

of course not.  you toss them a little kibble and hope the coyotes get most of them, but not all of them and not the one that you like.

Kids,

Mom wants a surprise.

I have a little eye matted black kitten (maybe 2) that need health restored.

Future is bleak as of now.  I've located them, fed them very well last night, this am, and this afternoon.  Fat little guys have been sleeping a lot huddled together, 4 of them.  Ringworm is pretty bad on these two.  Eyes matted x2 shut on one, x1 on the other.  So either I need to bring them back (surprise mom) or I need to come back to the farm in a couple days to finish feeding them out regaining strength & health.  What do you think mom would want me to do ?

Here is a picture of the 2 blk ones and their grey sibling.  The other blk one runs off yet.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
they just need some eye ointment and sulfur dips
warm dishcloth to the eyes to wipe away discharge and prevent them from resealing
we've had kittens lose all eyesight at the shelter when their eyes got infected
it's all a virus so it'll have to clear up on its own but antibiotics are good to stave off secondary bacterial infections
keep them eating
once they stop eating at that age, it's pretty much over unless someone force feeds
that guy is really kind for looking after them though
oh and don't touch them without gloves.  i had a ringworm scare a few years back and it sucks ballz

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

of course not.  you toss them a little kibble and hope the coyotes get most of them, but not all of them and not the one that you like.

Kids,

Mom wants a surprise.

Future is bleak as of now.  I've located them, fed them very well last night, this am, and this afternoon.  Fat little guys have been sleeping a lot huddled together, 4 of them.  Ringworm is pretty bad on these two.  Eyes matted x2 shut on one, x1 on the other.  So either I need to bring them back (surprise mom) or I need to come back to the farm in a couple days to finish feeding them out regaining strength & health.  What do you think mom would want me to do ?

Here is a picture of the 2 blk ones and their grey sibling.  The other blk one runs off yet.

How often does your dad email you?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
So my dad apparently thought this might get stolen so he welded the year he bought it and his name on it.

My son believes we have a vhs of this thing running.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So my dad apparently thought this might get stolen so he welded the year he bought it and his name on it.

Tom

LOL

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Incred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Does it have zerks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
also lol at the idea of someone sneaking in there and stealing that beast

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
That probably was not his real motivation, but he was big on marking his stuff.  Every wrench, tool got a swath of yellow john deere paint on it.  He bought an engraver and carved initials in everything.

Tom

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
That probably was not his real motivation, but he was big on marking his stuff.  Every wrench, tool got a swath of yellow john deere paint on it.  He bought an engraver and carved initials in everything.

Tom

Every single tool left of my grandpa's (1926-1999) is engraved with initials or full name. They were also robbed once, that didn't help.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Kids,

Mom wants a surprise.

How often does your dad email you?
A couple of times a week when he is on the farm, couple times a month if not.

I told him the cat population on the farm was already too high now (estimated at 15-20) and he is setting them up for a mass die off this winter when he isn't out there to feed them.

Got a great email back about what it means to be a "Christian Farmer"

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Hi ben ji,

Thanks for your input.  You are correct, logically.

Here is information for you to contemplate.

Christian.  What it means to be a Christian.

Farmer.  What it means to be a farmer.

Christian Farmer = you intercede to make your farm animal's life better.

I need to get you attending church on a regular basis and reading the bible.  It will help you grow.

Then I need to train you in the ways of farm operations / animal management.  You will better understand.

I think you will do well - maybe even look forward to retirement here, enjoying the farm life.

It is the simplest things in life that can bring you the most joy.

There is a lot of wisdom embedded in these words I have shared with you.  With age you will understand the words and the wisdom.

:)   Dad

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Much better than his normal HILRY KILLED A KID emails but I would like to point out that we never attended church growing up.

In fact my parents only recently started attending church after they retired in order to qualify for some knockoff faith based health insurance that was cheaper than OBAMAcare.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
He sure is happy out there though so I'm happy for him.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Man, I went to catholic school through 6th grade, went to church every sunday growing up, parents still do.  Once I hit 16-17, I've only been in a church for weddings and funerals.  After all that, my parents haven't even mentioned me going to church, even in passing.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile

That crusher is neat as hell. Looks like you're going to have to fab up a feed hopper tho.

Don't know if you've already got 'er moved , but I've had good luck rigging up a metal shoe/skid on each wheel and strapping or chaining to the spokes, and then pulling/sliding onto a trailer to get it back to the shop.

Heat and penetrating oil are going to be good buds of yours.

Any idea which old tractor with a belt pulley or stationary engine you're going to use to power it?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Any idea which old tractor with a belt pulley or stationary engine you're going to use to power it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-TRACTOR-PTO-BELT-PULLEY-FOR-320-330-40-420-430-435-440-M1785T-/372118488089

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
  Got a great email back about what it means to be a "Christian Farmer"

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/02/paul-harveys-1978-so-god-made-a-farmer-speech/272816/

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Good news, good news......

1)  Two of the four kittens with matted eyes, etc.  After 3 days of focused nutrition they are all doing very well, even running around the farm yard this am playing.  They can stay, but I need to give them another dose of food love to get them successfully on their way in a few days for a week.

2)  I found an abandoned black baby crying, cold, hungry, matted eyes (a sign of malnutrition or a weakened immune system) out in the Morton barn.  No mama appeared to claim the baby.  I brought it in over the night, was only able to get a little 1/2 n 1/2 down.  Baby liked being held, slept better.  Checked and fed again at midnight, not really taking any food (very small, maybe 5 or 6 weeks).  This am baby was cold, so warmed baby up and had minimal success feeding.  Took baby out when I fed the barn cats - it was crying for mama.  No success.

Later baby (mini lil) and I went looking for my lost phone, no success.  Stopped in the house for one more attempt at feeding, then went to the Morton barn to see if mama could be found.  (Home directive is no new fury friends - and I did not want to shave the kitten.)

Coming in the barn, a black mama cat came from hiding in the bails.  She knew what the baby was, but was looking to me for food.  Pretty soon she was licking mini lil.  Finally she carefully grabbed mini lil by the neck and hopped up onto the bail stack disappearing.  Good sign, baby was hers and she claimed it.

Attached is a picture of "mini lil".

Note:  One of the four bigger kittens I was feeding back to health is grey and has a very gentle loving personality.  I'll get a pic of him/her and figure out the sex and share later.

Dad

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Awesome
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I really hope your dad can move there full time but he's gonna have to learn how to spell the word for tightly wrapped bundle of hay

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Did he ever find the phone?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
your dad is probably the best cat farmer I've ever heard of

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Dug dad's antique rock crusher out of the brush today.  No idea how we can move it.  F350 couldn't budge it.

Tom

I have some drives needing attn.  :impatient:

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Dug dad's antique rock crusher out of the brush today.  No idea how we can move it.  F350 couldn't budge it.

Tom

I have some drives needing attn.  :impatient:
I guess we can bring the rock to the crusher and you can bring your truck Slackcat.

Tom