Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 355933 times)

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Cows aren't as dumb as people make them out to be.  They test their boundaries.  A cow will push against a fence until it falls over or loses enough tension they can easily get through it.  The barbs deter the cow from wanting to push against said fence for very long.  We had cows that would lick gate chains until they got them to unlatch.  My dad had to start using bailing wire to secure the links.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
That stupid cow just liked the taste of the chain. Cows are enormous dumbasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Nah, sheep are the ultimate idiots of the domesticated animal kingdom.

I’m also talking about dairy cows that had human interaction every day and tend to live a few years longer than a steer. 

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Yikes get a body bag for Steve Dave.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
HI Kids,

ben ji and ben ji's sister both visited the farm in July.  A first !

I continue to 'enhance security', occasionally getting a good wildlife photo.

Attached is one from July 12th at 5:15 am.

Bindweed is going to be a major work task next year.
Also we have a couple places with "musk thistle" - an invasive species.  I have collected and burned about a dozen tubbs of thistle from the pasture.  It burns real good after just a day of drying.

I have a "corner post" project and a chicken house project and there is always lots of burning to do.  (ben ji thanks for cleaning out the incinerator, it is working much better now).

I have gotten lil lil's(the farm cat he took home last year) momma cat to come up to the house for some food and milk.  She is wild but I am hoping she has some more babies.

In July I have sprayed a lot of Roundup and vinegar plant killer (for use in pasture areas).  My focus initially was bindweed but the sandbur stickers were bad so I've been hitting them hard as well.  (Plus the pasture thistle - mostly prairie thistle).

I do not think we are getting wind turbines as I never received a call about access to do core samples (done before construction starts on turbines).  Same with Aunt Rita.

Feel free to come and visit the farm - activity here is good for security.

I do have some security actions (disable / enable) when you visit.  If I am here, I can cook.  Fridge is stocked.  I have the guest bedroom  upstairs and clean sheets after every guest departure.  (Don't tell mom, it is practice for a B&B.  My B&B will be expensive and booked all the time - lots of included beer and wine!  I even pick up at the Colby airport "Shultz Field".)

Later,
Dad

Don't forget the attached pic.

So who wants to be the first person to stay at ben ji's dad farm B&B? Also LOL at him still worrying about musk thistle when my uncle clearly told him it was prairie thistle.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Here is a picture of a deer near the house and a coyote in the pasture.

My dad sets trail cams everywhere to see who is on the farm at anytime....never know when OBAMA might show up and take your guns.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Need rates
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Need rates

$75 for a night next time you decide to drive out to denver? Includes feeding the barn cats, watching whatever DVD he had(Just bought him 5 seasons of the Beverly hillbillies) and he will make you bacon and eggs in the morning.....

Side note, if it rains you may not be able to leave until the roads dry out.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
i've never heard of anyone hoping their barn cat would produce more barn cats.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

SYS, what do you know about red wolves? My dad says they reintroduced them to the OK Panhandle a couple of years ago and he is convinced they have spread to the Colby area. Real News? Fake News?

He says they are bigger than normal coyotes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
not reintroduced into oklahoma and not in colby.

canid evolution is really complex and they're still trying to tease it apart.  every time i look, thinking seems to have changed a little bit.  so i can't give you a good answer as to what a red wolf is (was, they're basically extinct), but they are bigger than coyotes.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
if anything the barbs probably scratch right where the cows itch

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
your dad has a weird thing about thistle

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Dug dad's antique rock crusher out of the brush today.  No idea how we can move it.  F350 couldn't budge it.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Case of WD-40 for the axles?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Case of WD-40 for the axles?
Axle bearings are probably siezed.  The thing is heavy.  Wheels are sunk in the ground a ways.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
your next step is to leave it there untouched and allow the brush to grow up around it for another 50 years

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
hydraulic jack and a board for support.  Lift it out of the ground a wheel (or two if you have multiple jacks) at a time.  Place skids under the wheels and fasten them somehow. Then slide it out.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
is that a cotton gin? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
hydraulic jack and a board for support.  Lift it out of the ground a wheel (or two if you have multiple jacks) at a time.  Place skids under the wheels and fasten them somehow. Then slide it out.
Or just get a tractor with a loader bucket on it and a couple of chains/straps and pick the SOB up and put it on a trailer.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Or do what most people do and use SD's idea.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Or just get a tractor with a loader bucket on it and a couple of chains/straps and pick the SOB up and put it on a trailer.
I was assuming there was no tractor with a loader because that would’ve been the first thing I brought out.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Tom...I'll come remove that SOB for you free of charge.  Just let me know when you want it gone.
@mikec2w

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

I've never heard of anyone with barn cats spaying or neutering one

and sweet christ tom that thing is buried up to its axles why did you think your little pickup could move it :lol:

I also don't understand why you killed all those trees

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I've never heard of anyone with barn cats spaying or neutering one

of course not.  you toss them a little kibble and hope the coyotes get most of them, but not all of them and not the one that you like.