Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 355916 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
ben ji, what county?
Thomas

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hunting lease might get him some extra scratch too
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
ben ji, what county?
Thomas

Hunting lease might get him some extra scratch too

How much for 400 acres of pasture? I assume Pheasant/quail?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Any decent timbered areas on or adjacent to it?  What about ponds?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Any decent timbered areas on or adjacent to it?  What about ponds?

Its western ks. There is a "Creek" that "runs" through the back portion of the pasture but does not normally have water in it. There are maybe 5 "trees" along it. There are a bunch of wind break tree's by the actual house.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yea probably not much good then.  Maybe you can find a trex on it or some oil.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
not sure if I read correctly but don't ever assume wind. that's a unicorn even in western ks. sd ranch is over a trillion acres of stupid cows and cowboys and not a single wind baron has asked to put stupid giant turbines on it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
also why tf is he planning to grow crops on this stuff that people who know about growing crops aren't growing crops on? tell him to stop with that.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
super pro tip on whether someone is going to ask you if they can pay you to put a wind turbine on your western ks land.  look up, if there's a high-voltage transmission line there, the answer is yes.  otherwise no.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Long story short I have no idea how anyone makes any money farming.

It probably works a little bit better when you farm the land yourself and keep 100% of the revenue instead of 2/3.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
super pro tip on whether someone is going to ask you if they can pay you to put a wind turbine on your western ks land.  look up, if there's a high-voltage transmission line there, the answer is yes.  otherwise no.
Thanks, I will pass this along.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
do you know what western ks farmers care about? terraces in their fields. like intentional walls of dirt that they built up so the wind doesn't blow away their dirt like huge dirt snakes. and if you just want to plow some giant field fast with your monster 8 wheeled tractor that you probably shouldn't be trusted with at 15 years old and do it in a straight line which makes the most sense you get in big time rough ridin' trouble. instead you have to plow along the dirt snakes and never drive over them except at the ends. it's the stupidest crap you've ever seen.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
you know what else they care about? grease zerks (technical farmer thing I'll explain). these are them:

so there are over a million of them on all kinds of plows, tractors, swather things that eat the hay, you name it. if you use it to farm cows or plants it's got grease zerks. you use a grease gun with giant tubes of lube to squirt it into them like every 4 hours you use the thing that has them. this is the gun.

it's an enormous pain in the ass and it's always hot as crap and there are bugs everywhere when you do it. here's what I figured out on my own though. it's fake news. you don't have to do it. I've gone literally a month without grease gunning a grease zerk and nothing mostly broke. I'm pretty sure it's a scam from big grease.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
sddad: are you greasing those zerks?
me: yep (nope)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
and here's the thing anyway, I'm going to break the eff out of this plow or combine or swather (hay combine) or whatever by ramming it into a dirt snake or center pivot irrigation system anyway long before it breaks from not getting lubed up so WGAF.

The Big Train

you know what else they care about? grease zerks (technical farmer thing I'll explain). these are them:

so there are over a million of them on all kinds of plows, tractors, swather things that eat the hay, you name it. if you use it to farm cows or plants it's got grease zerks. you use a grease gun with giant tubes of lube to squirt it into them like every 4 hours you use the thing that has them. this is the gun.

it's an enormous pain in the ass and it's always hot as crap and there are bugs everywhere when you do it. here's what I figured out on my own though. it's fake news. you don't have to do it. I've gone literally a month without grease gunning a grease zerk and nothing mostly broke. I'm pretty sure it's a scam from big grease.

How do you farm cows :confused:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
which reminds me of another thing that sucks crap. if your tractor runs out of gas because you don't GAF and the gas trailer is way over on the other side of the field it's a giant pain in the ass if it runs out, you're mumped. you can't just fill it up with gas again. you have to do tons of stuff. like pull off parts and put gas in them for an hour. these things are helpless. you want to make a billion dollars? make a tractor that can not do that on it's own like a car or lawn mower.

WHICH REMINDS ME OF ANOTHER THING! don't call the tractor gas, gas. it's "fuel".  :jerk:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

with bulls (boy cows)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
me (Unit 8 on two way radio, basically farmer cell phone): I filled the tractor with gas
sdgrandpa (Unit 1 on farmer cell): I HOPE YOU DIDN'T FILL IT WITH GAS!
me (Unit 8 still): JFC grandpa  :jerk:

The Big Train

with bulls (boy cows)

Bulls have grease zerks?  :confused:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
me (Unit 8 on two way radio, basically farmer cell phone): I filled the tractor with gas

which also reminds me of two way radios. like we had our own tower deal and we had unit numbers. nobody else could hear us talk on them except us. sdgrandpa was "Unit 1", sddad was "Unit 2", etc. I was down the line after the designated cowboys and whatnot at "Unit 8". You had code words on it. Like 10-7, 10-8, they all meant something, I don't remember. like you were going to go away from the radio, or were back by it, whatever. you had to say the 10-7 or whatever the call sign was. I never did the thing to leave or come back. they got steamed all the time because they were looking for me or didn't know I was back available to talk or something. idiots.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

which also reminds me of two way radios. like we had our own tower deal and we had unit numbers. nobody else could hear us talk on them except us. sdgrandpa was "Unit 1", sddad was "Unit 2", etc. I was down the line after the designated cowboys and whatnot at "Unit 8". You had code words on it. Like 10-7, 10-8, they all meant something, I don't remember. like you were going to go away from the radio, or were back by it, whatever. you had to say the 10-7 or whatever the call sign was. I never did the thing to leave or come back. they got steamed all the time because they were looking for me or didn't know I was back available to talk or something. idiots.

and sddad had a phone number (this was pre-cell phones, at least pre-cell phones in western KS) that would call the house and if he didn't answer it went to his two way radio. and if he didn't answer that his pickup started honking the horn to let him know someone was calling him. it was irl cutting edge crap for the day. but if he answered on his radio he still had to push the button on the radio to talk like a walkie talkie.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
Our radio stuff slightly overlapped with some dumbass family, so we would hear them when we went to town.

Old lady screaming into the thing: (redacted) PICK ME UP SOME PEPTO BISMOL AT THE STORE!!

(redacted) : 10-4 hun

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
haha. sdgrandpa would have lost his crap at using the ranch radio for that stuff. he would hover over it waiting to chew someone's (99% me) ass for improper usage. he had a phone handset that was the radio next to his recliner in his house.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
when he finally "retired" he didn't actually retire. he just kind of hung around ready to kick my ass. I'd inevitably break/wreck some expensive equipment and he'd show up after hearing it on the radio. All I wanted in the world was to get fired but NOPE. COW FARMING FOR YOU WHETHER YOU SUCK AT IT OR NOT!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
good god, to have been a cow farmer.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."