Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 360495 times)

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
when I inherit a shitload of western ks land the first thing I'm going to do is sell it to the areas rich land baron. it'll include all of the cows, tractors, houses, the works. and it's a take it all or nothing deal. also he has to box up and ship to me all my baseball cards that are in the basement of one of the houses (these are not part of the deal obv). and I know all the good ones in there so he better not try to swipe any. I've got this thing planned out.

isn't farmer sd bro going to try and buy city slicker bros out?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
when I inherit a shitload of western ks land the first thing I'm going to do is sell it to the areas rich land baron. it'll include all of the cows, tractors, houses, the works. and it's a take it all or nothing deal. also he has to box up and ship to me all my baseball cards that are in the basement of one of the houses (these are not part of the deal obv). and I know all the good ones in there so he better not try to swipe any. I've got this thing planned out.

what are the good ones? like a frank thomas rookie or a couple of sweet jose cansecos or what are we talking here

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
jeter upperdeck rookie, bash brothers rookies, shaq rookies (hoops and upper deck), griffey rookies (fleer and upper deck), thousands of trash topps cards (he can keep these for all I care), bo jackson signed card, a bunch of remade old babe ruth cards that I roughed up and put in cases to make my friends think they were legit (sentimental value here), it goes on. essentially if you were a kid in the 90s I've got what you crave.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

isn't farmer sd bro going to try and buy city slicker bros out?

I'll muscle him into selling. I'm the brains of this operation.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
jeter upperdeck rookie, bash brothers rookies, shaq rookies (hoops and upper deck), griffey rookies (fleer and upper deck), thousands of trash topps cards (he can keep these for all I care), bo jackson signed card, a bunch of remade old babe ruth cards that I roughed up and put in cases to make my friends think they were legit (sentimental value here), it goes on. essentially if you were a kid in the 90s I've got what you crave.

those are v good

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
you have to sell to your brother, steve dave.  good grief.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
he has his own baseball cards sys

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
My dad was just talking about how some baron bought 1200 acres a few hobby farms away from him. That seems like an excessive amount of acres
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
no, that's barely enough acres for anything.  acres are surprisingly small.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
My dad was just talking about how some baron bought 1200 acres a few hobby farms away from him. That seems like an excessive amount of acres
Did you see the numbers my dad ran? Basically the only way to make any money farming is to own a crap ton of land. (Also milk the government teat for all it's worth)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
1200 * $2,675 = $3,210,000 worth of land.  :love: Depending on where the land is.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Like 900 football fields.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
0.85 wamegos

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
It wasn't bought for farming, just hobbying
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
You could keep about 40-60 adult male cougars in there.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Could probably make some kind of elite corn maze hobbying for that type of land.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
you could make your own west(ern kansas)world

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

this estimate seems high for some reason

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It will all be taxed with the estate tax and you will get nothing
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Like, 2 irl maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Link?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
every male cougar I've come across would need twice that

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
he's talking about male cougars in cages.  40 to 60 male cougar cages.  each caged male cougar would get 20-30 acres.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
UPDATE!

TL:DR - I think I talked him out of buying this 80 Acres by convincing him to purchase the 320 Acres directly next to the current farm when my Aunt wants to sell or passes away. 

Talked to my dad tonight about it and while I still think its a terrible idea its not as bad as I originally thought. He currently makes around 7k per year leasing the land he already owns (although it was lower this year due to some insurance deductibles) that he would use to pay off the TWENTY  :sdeek: year loan. This brings the yearly payments down to a more managable 2-3 thousand per year ($12,000 yearly payment - $2400 estimated income - $7000 current income from land already owned)

He claimed to have 3 Aces up his sleeve

1. Wind Turbines - Last year he signed a lease with an energy company for the right to put up wind turbines. Currently gets maybe $1,000 a year but if they actually build some turbines it could be closer to 8-10k.

2. Breakout 200 Acres of Pasture into Cropland to bring in additional income. The current farm has around 400 acres of pastureland and around 200 acres of that could be turned into dry cropland. My uncle is currently in year 3 of a 5 year lease on the land and runs cattle on the pasture so its nothing that would happen soon. This has been his #1 plan ever since he inherited the farm. I always counter with "If its such a good idea why hasn't it been done in the past 100 years" but looking at the farm on google maps its literally the only large chunk of pasture land within 5 miles so maybe it can work.

3. Flip the land and sell it for $2000 an acre. He claims that he could currently sell it to someone right now for $2000 per acre but that my uncle wont sell it to this guy because he hates him for some reason. "This 80 Acres is part of the best quarter in that section, when grandpa passed away someone offered to buy it the next week". He would never actually do this though because as Steve Dave pointed out earlier farmers only like buying land.

My advice was to not count on any additional money from the Wind Turbines until they actually start construction. If they do build the Turbines save the money and if he still wants to buy more land when my Aunt sells or passes away (She is 6 years older and does not inject snake venom) then he will have a down payment and more farm revenue coming in to purchase her 320 acres that are contiguous with the current farm.

Long story short I have no idea how anyone makes any money farming.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
if he puts that turbine and grazing money into cryptocurrencies, he should have more than enough to buy the 320 and the 80 when his family starts to die.