Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 356072 times)

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If I was a farmer I'd spend half the day sitting on my porch staring out at the fields and taking slow sips of ice tea. Every hour or so I'd look up at the clouds and mumble incoherently about rain. The rest of the day I'd spend talking about how I'm probably "going into town" later.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
There is a real life dead cow truck that comes around and picks up all the dead cows and does something with them. You just tell them where they are. We would sometimes have, like, some huge pile of them. Very gross.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The answer is so obvious when you hear it. OF COURSE, there's a dead cow truck. Of course, there is.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
does it have a mcdonalds logo on it?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
does it have a mcdonalds logo on it?

What would McDonalds want with dead cows?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
dead cows from farms must be disposed of properly- by law.  I'm not trying to pretend to know what's going on on with all of the dead cows on sd's ranch but I do find it suspicious that they have such a problem keeping their herd alive while others in KS don't have piles of cow corpses everywhere

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
i bet farmer dave sr makes a shitload off dead cows

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
tips the dead cow truck driver, and then brands the crap out of other people's dead cows

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
I guess back in the good ole days the dead cow truck drivers would pull up up the dead cow pile, drop the tailgate, hook a log chain up to their feet, and then run the winch to pull them in.  Worst part was the fact that they had to crawl up in there to unhook the chain.  Also, in the middle of summer after a day or two the cows would bloat up like twice the size to where as soon as you touch them they explode. Now they have these grapple forks that they use instead of a chain. #pussificationof'Murica

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
Also, apparently there's more than one dead animal truck because the ones that they use for pigs is just like a trash truck.  They use a grapple to put 'em in there and then run the compactor to squeeze the juice out of them.  There's a tank up front where the juices go and the solids go into dog food or whatever.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
A kid told me a story once about this gal that used to sell the best homemade tamales ever.  Like, she sold out of them immediately because they were so good.  I guess her husband worked at a cattle feedlot.  One day a cowboy drove out along the back way and noticed someone over by the dead cow pile (place where they pile up dead cows waiting for the truck). This gal was carving the crap out of a "fresh" cow.  She never sold another tamale again.  True story.   

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
A kid told me a story once about this gal that used to sell the best homemade tamales ever.  Like, she sold out of them immediately because they were so good.  I guess her husband worked at a cattle feedlot.  One day a cowboy drove out along the back way and noticed someone over by the dead cow pile (place where they pile up dead cows waiting for the truck). This gal was carving the crap out of a "fresh" cow.  She never sold another tamale again.  True story.

this story is hilarious but mostly disgusting

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I guess back in the good ole days the dead cow truck drivers would pull up up the dead cow pile, drop the tailgate, hook a log chain up to their feet, and then run the winch to pull them in.  Worst part was the fact that they had to crawl up in there to unhook the chain.  Also, in the middle of summer after a day or two the cows would bloat up like twice the size to where as soon as you touch them they explode. Now they have these grapple forks that they use instead of a chain. #pussificationof'Murica

A funny joke that the ranchers I used to work for at K-State did once was to tell me and another girl that a cow fell asleep outside and we had to wake it up.  We both had never worked on a farm so believed it. 

We went over to the cow and the vet girl and I approach it and start making noises and talking to it/clapping softly trying to wake it up without freaking it out.  She went and looked at its face and said it was dead.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
SD - what gear would you recommend I put my John Deere 4020 in while cultivating a soybean field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I saw this thing the other day where like this cow had a big hole in its side and a farmer or somebody was reaching into its stomach and doing stuff. They said lots of cows have the holes in their sides for reaching into. I'm wondering if SD knows just what the hell was going on there.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

Did you dad refer to himself as a farmer or rancher? what about you?

Both I guess depending on who he was talking to
You guys were ranchers.  Know how I know.  Well, I grew up on a 2600 acre farm in western Kansas, and one thing my dad taught me was the difference between a farmer and a rancher.  Told me that a farmer makes his money from raising cash corps.  Where as a rancher may have crops, but only for cattle feed.  Ranchers make their living from raising cattle.  So this is the difference.  By the way, he looked down on farmers for some reason.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
do you ever see any deer on the farm and do you shoot them?

Yes, tons.

No
Same here, only because we always ate what we shot.  I not eating deer when beef and pork are available.  ;)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

Do you waste coyotes on sight?

Most farmers do I think. Sddad does usually. I don't think they actually do any harm to anything no so I would just look at them.

We had a "Big Hat" neighbor who would get with his friends and fly a helicopter around and shoot coyotes from it.  One time they had about a mile of coyote hides hanging on a barb-wire fence.  One per post.  It stunk to high heaven, as my mom would say.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
There is a real life dead cow truck that comes around and picks up all the dead cows and does something with them. You just tell them where they are. We would sometimes have, like, some huge pile of them. Very gross.
Rendering plant makes dog food out of them.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile

I think that was an episode of Dirty Jobs

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
SD - what gear would you recommend I put my John Deere 4020 in while cultivating a soybean field?

5th

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
this thread needs more steve dave

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile

1st and park it in the barn and go get your self a jd8370R and cultivate any soil in the world.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
did you ever have a cow that you nicknamed Colonel Angus?  if no, why not?
emaw