Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 356065 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
sd, when I lived in P-Burg they all claimed that Phillips County was the "Cow Capital of Kansas".  Which I think meant that they had the most cows.  Could this be true?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Hey SD, did you see The Bachelor After the Rose show last night? Well [SPOILER] Jimmy Kimmel presented the happy couple with a cow which he just walked on a leash onto the stage in front of the live audience. Would any cow do that and be comfortable around all those people or was that a trained cow?

follow up-  why did that cow have horns? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
SD, not really a farm related question, but typical of small-town sporters. Did you love playing sports growing up, and how long did it take you to realize you weren't going to be a pro athlete?

Second question - What was your favorite time of year, hunting/ farming wise?

I liked them a lot. I knew from, like, age 8'ish or so I would guess? I'm guessing your point is that small town kids can be really good at sports relative to the small amount of competition but not be great in relation to the larger amount of competition a city kid would see. which is true, but I think everyone is aware of it. I was pretty good at football and basketball for my area but knew clearly that I wasn't going to play in the NFL or even KState.

Probably, like, fall I guess. I don't hunt and only did for a short time as a kid but the weather isn't unbearable hot or freezing cold.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Do you have to lube cows up before you do that weird impregnation thing and stick your arm up there? Or do you just do it?

we never do that

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Hey SD, did you see The Bachelor After the Rose show last night? Well [SPOILER] Jimmy Kimmel presented the happy couple with a cow which he just walked on a leash onto the stage in front of the live audience. Would any cow do that and be comfortable around all those people or was that a trained cow?

yeah, some of the 4H kids (PROTIP: real farm/ranch kids are never under any circumstances in 4H) had cows that were basically pets.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
sd, when I lived in P-Burg they all claimed that Phillips County was the "Cow Capital of Kansas".  Which I think meant that they had the most cows.  Could this be true?

absolutely not

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

yeah, some of the 4H kids (PROTIP: real farm/ranch kids are never under any circumstances in 4H) had cows that were basically pets.
then who the eff is in 4H?  same for Future Farmers of America?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

then who the eff is in 4H?  same for Future Farmers of America?

kids whose parents are not farmers/ranchers who live in small towns. some of these parents may have a "farm" that is a side gig to their full time job with the city/county/etc. but at no point are they considered farmers or ranchers by ITK types.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
some kid: hey lil sd, are you in 4H?
lil kid sd: crap son, my LIFE is 4H.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
like, in 4H you brush off your cow with like a wire brush to make its hair pretty. you learn how to lead some stupid sheep around on a rope so it follows you around and stops where you want it. these animals are fed from like a bucket with actual food purchased from somewhere. this is so far removed from actual farming/ranching I can't even.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
4H has rocketry. elon rough ridin' musk of farmers over here blasting his crap off into space.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
4H isn't supposed to teach kids how to farm, steve dave. It's supposed to teach kids just how far their parents are willing to go to win.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
yeah, I mean what kind of skill is showing a hog?  follow a hog around a pen with a stick and try not to get your new shirt dirty I guess, wtf tho.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
FFA kid over here with his tie on. your dad is a rough ridin' loan officer at the bank. how the eff you future farming? why's your dad not farming right now? maybe going home when the sun is still shining could happen on your future farm. rough ridin' kids.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
like, in 4H you brush off your cow with like a wire brush to make its hair pretty. you learn how to lead some stupid sheep around on a rope so it follows you around and stops where you want it. these animals are fed from like a bucket with actual food purchased from somewhere. this is so far removed from actual farming/ranching I can't even.
what about the FFA?  I can remember seeing those kids around KC in my youth sporting these swagged out jean jackets, is it for OGs or what?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I bet The Bachelor was in 4H.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm starting to think steve dave doesn't really know anything about farming.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
yeah, I mean what kind of skill is showing a hog?  follow a hog around a pen with a stick and try not to get your new shirt dirty I guess, wtf tho.

I had a friend whose hog died on him during the show. Had a heart attack. So I'm sure there is some skill involved, and that kid just didn't have what it takes.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Why so many references to "cows"?  Are all animal husbandry enterprises in this discussion thread devoid of steers?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I had a friend whose hog died on him during the show. Had a heart attack. So I'm sure there is some skill involved, and that kid just didn't have what it takes.

sorry, try not to get your new shirt dirty AND don't kill your animal in the process.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
There's really nothing 4-H and FFA can do to authentically demonstrate what it's like to rip the legs off of a baby cow and then shoot the mommy cow.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
FFA. I'm nine years old and I'm farming RIGHT NOW. Ain't no future about this life kid.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

There's really nothing 4-H and FFA can do to authentically demonstrate what it's like to rip the legs off of a baby cow and then shoot the mommy cow.

word

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
4H also has a dog show. Nobody farms dogs.