Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 369267 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #3450 on: September 22, 2020, 08:28:38 AM »
Jordy seems like the kind of guy that greases all the zerks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #3451 on: September 22, 2020, 08:29:51 AM »
When he was a kid and his dad showed up and asked if he greased the implement or header or whatever every 4 hours like he was supposed to he said “Yes” just like I did. But he actually irl did do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: September 22, 2020, 08:54:12 AM »
Fun Fact: Not only is Jordy Nelson a stud football player and Farmer but he is also a distant cousin of mine from my non WKS side of the family. (Our grandma's were cousins).

I have never met him but if I do I'll make sure to tell him about this thread and encourage him to post here.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: September 23, 2020, 08:53:43 PM »
@slackcat I tried to load up your JD hit n miss when I was out there 2 weeks ago but couldn't move it solo/didn't want to put in the effort.

My dad just got out there and it's now sitting outside the building which means my uncle or cousin might be taking it when they move out their stuff

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: September 24, 2020, 08:45:37 AM »
Fun Fact: Not only is Jordy Nelson a stud football player and Farmer but he is also a distant cousin of mine from my non WKS side of the family. (Our grandma's were cousins).

I have never met him but if I do I'll make sure to tell him about this thread and encourage him to post here.
First thing Jordy needs to post is pix of the beads on that home made hay trailer constructed from I beams and pipe.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: September 24, 2020, 08:20:53 PM »
I think i have posted pix of this rock crusher my dad picked up somewhere in the mid 1990s.  The quarry helped me move it with their big loader a couple of weekends ago.  The old trailer squeaked and cracked when we set that thing down.   Broke a board.

My cousin thinks someone might try to steal it.  If you can drag that thing off... congrats.

Tom

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: September 24, 2020, 08:57:39 PM »

I want to know more about this beast hauling it

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: September 24, 2020, 09:33:44 PM »
I think i have posted pix of this rock crusher my dad picked up somewhere in the mid 1990s.  The quarry helped me move it with their big loader a couple of weekends ago.  The old trailer squeaked and cracked when we set that thing down.   Broke a board.

My cousin thinks someone might try to steal it.  If you can drag that thing off... congrats.

Tom

Was that the piece of equipment that was embedded in the dirt up to the middle of the wheels? If so congrats on getting it dug out.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: September 24, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »
That loader is a beast. incred.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: September 26, 2020, 08:42:18 AM »

I want to know more about this beast hauling it
https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/wheel-loaders/medium-wheel-loaders/1000029200.html

Pretty much load a truck with two bucket fulls.

Tom

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: September 26, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »
It's nice to read stories like this.  Farmers are still a kind hearted group that are willing to help when a person is down.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: October 02, 2020, 09:16:50 PM »
Not as good as a sunset at the cat ranch, but I slipped out to the farm this evening to watch corn harvest.  I always liked farming at dusk/dark.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: October 02, 2020, 09:20:27 PM »
nighttime harvest, alfalfa, etc. work is the best. so peaceful and smells good and just a great nostalgic feeling for me.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3464 on: October 02, 2020, 09:43:13 PM »
What kind of tunes do you blast while harvesting your 'falfa?  It is a silent Zen thing?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: October 02, 2020, 09:49:14 PM »
What kind of tunes do you blast while harvesting your 'falfa?  It is a silent Zen thing?

glad you asked. options ranked in order of good:

1. T95 or 100.5 out of OKC. Actual new'ish music that wasn't top 40s. Like living in the future. Could get these in with certain old shitty john deere tractors OR if it was really cloudy. The best

2. Sports. I mean, mostly not applicable but the unicorn was you are doing something when something was happening with a KS College or KC team.

3. Classic Rock. Believe the Dodge City station was called The Eagle? Maybe 103.5? It was good

4. Classic Country. Misc. AM or FM Dodge City/Dodge City/Garden City stations playing the good stuff.

5. AM radio. I was a bigly pub at the time v. my moderate pub now and would listen to Rush/Ken Hamblin/Glenn Beck all the time. So cringey to think about now but when in rome.

6. top 40s. K-95 out of Dodge City or the one out of liberal that I think was 101.5? Same thing. Not good at all. Just listen to the tractor not getting its zerk's greased was preferable.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3466 on: October 02, 2020, 09:54:08 PM »
No mix tapes? I always figured those tractors (city boy lingo) could play cassette tapes.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: October 02, 2020, 09:55:58 PM »
No mix tapes? I always figured those tractors (city boy lingo) could play cassette tapes.

I had 1 or 2 that could but almost exclusively just AM/FM. And the ones that had cassette tape things would be so full of dust and crap after a few months of use it was pointless to try. and I grew up in heavy CD era. Like 90s on the farm. but never saw one on a tractor for the reason mentioned before I'd assume.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3468 on: October 02, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »
Oh yeah the dust... it's funny how I've blocked that out of my mind.  The endless dust and dirt everywhere in western Kansas.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: October 02, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »
Oh yeah the dust... it's funny how I've blocked that out of my mind.  The endless dust and dirt everywhere in western Kansas.

It's exhausting. It's legitimately the main thing that makes me shut down my nostalgic thoughts about sometime living there again.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: October 02, 2020, 10:37:31 PM »
Talk radio really makes the time fly by. When I was in high school I loved the crap out of Jim Rome and Don and Mike. Was great when you could get the replay of Jim Rome on WOAI out of San Antonio late evenings.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: October 02, 2020, 10:38:03 PM »
And my wife hates the wind which is definitely related to the dust

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: October 02, 2020, 10:45:26 PM »

It's exhausting. It's legitimately the main thing that makes me shut down my nostalgic thoughts about sometime living there again.

Yeah, I still have dust in random spots in my vehicle from spending 2 months out there this spring. Think like inside the speaker holes on the door/tiny cracks you didn't know existed etc etc.

Last fall when I was chasing birds I leaned my shotgun against the back tail light area and put a small crack in the plastic cover...Didn't think much of it at the time but after living there for 2 months my tail light area has a thin layer of dust inside of it and now I'm worried that some cop will pull me over thinking my tail lights are not working. (Just in KC, lol at a cop pulling me over out there as I have never seen one besides in "town").

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: October 03, 2020, 05:13:02 AM »
Speaking of wind and dust when I grew up in western Kansas I never noticed the smell of dirt.  Now when I head out to WK the smell of dirt is strong.  The wind is almost a constant issue, so no frisbee golf and very little boating due to white caps.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: October 03, 2020, 09:36:14 PM »
Update on lil Tazee

Happy 6 week birthday to "Lil Tazee" !  This past couple days Tazee has eaten fresh cooked and cut into small pieces chicken and some soft canned cat food.  She ate the glass tip of an eye dropper so only a plastic syringe now.  She tries arching her back in defense.  She enjoys simple play like chewing on your finger.  Plays mouse (your hand) under the covers.  She has a cute, albeit awkward, run.  Farm Kitty always watches, plays with, and bathes Lil Tazee.  When hungry she will come to your feet - associates that with getting food.  Not much of a cryer, pretty quite, but she let's you know she is hungry.  Laying on Farm Kitty's favorite toy - Nemo.
Lil Tazee/Tasmos is bigger now, picture from yesterday. Only 2 of her litter mates on the cat ranch are still alive so her being the runt was the golden ticket to all you can eat eggs/milk every day. My dad suspects coyotes.

Unfortunately Lil Lil has recently developed some hostility to Tazee most likely because my dad now gives Tazee more attention or something.

I tested this out when I was over at the parents and yup, lil lil was hissing up a fit anytime I put Tazee next to her on the ground.

T's and P's that they can work out their differences.